Turn on thread page Beta

Two hour lectures: how do you do it? watch

ReputationRep:
    Write down everything useful the lecturer says, and when they ramble too much I decorate the notes Ive just written with different coloured pens and highlighters.
    Lots off caffeine if it's an early lecture too!

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8449307.stm

Its just not possible

ReputationRep:
    lol..i know exactly how you feel...i sat at the front of a two hour lecture for the first time today..the people around me were focused on the screen for the whole two hours..!meanwhile, i was falling asleep...

ReputationRep:
    all of our lectures are in 2 or 3 hr blocks and practicals come in 3 or 4 hr chunks. You just get used to it.

Make sure you're making notes all the way through to keep yourself awake.
    Make sure your friends poke you if you fall asleep to wake you up.
    Keep hydrated.
    Take a snack for the break in the middle.
    Go for a walk in this break - just get out of your seat!
    Accept the fact that even the best lecturers will have your mind wandering sometimes. Make sure you go over your notes afterwards if this happens.
    Ask the lecturer to turn the lights up a bit because just being in a dark room makes you more tired.
    Doodle - if you're doodling you can still be taking in what they're talking about.
    Try to get good amounts of regular sleep.
    Do exercise - it'll keep your sleep more regular and you'll just feel better and then won't be falling asleep/losing concentration all the time.

ReputationRep:
    a false pen filled with cocaine.

ReputationRep:
    2h lectures are ok...plus
    1) they are only 1h50 (haha look at the positive side)
    2) you have a break

just imagine that here in France (high school) we do have 2 4-hour lectures a day, without one minute of pause or break.
    That is you have to be focused during 4hours, then you have lunch, and then again 4hrs

The best way to cope with it is to listen to the lecture (well obviously) but trying to focus as much as you can.
    and say to yourself that it really is interesting. If you listen really hard in class, then 1/2 of the work is done for this course (scientifically proven)
    Ah, and also, do not look at your watch every 10 secs. Try to resist whenever you feel the need to look at it, and you'll see that 2x50min lectures will be ok.

ReputationRep:
    Caffeine and Energy Drinks, my friend, Caffeine and Energy Drinks.

Oh and also listening to up-beat music before your lecture.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh ive had lectures exactly like the one you described before, i had one last year 3-5 on a friday generaly ended up not listening, got quite a bad grade in that module actualy.

ReputationRep:
    i used to have 4 hr lecture slots, followed by 1hr to switch campus then another 4hrs. and sometimes 6hrs of lectures.

you just do it tbh, drink some tea, and enjoy the subject, if you cant enjoy it youre not going to concentrate

ReputationRep:
    Do people actually record lectures?

ReputationRep:
    Every time you feel yourself nodding off, stab yourself in the palm (hard) with your keys. You wont nod off for another 10 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    Sit really close to the front and just concentrate as hard as you can. DO NOT stop writing. Once you have a break thats it, you're screwed. In the break, always get up and go to the toilet or something! Just get out of the chair

ReputationRep:
    Just write loads of notes that way half the learning is done and you stay concentrating

Thank God for one hour lectures. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I like my lectures. I get through them easily, as long as I make sure write down pretty much everything I hear to keep my concentration up on tired mornings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJ555)
    Well, ok to be fair my lectures are one hour 50mins long, but I have the attention span of a small child. I'd say I have good attention for the first 15mins, then after 25 I'm completely out of it. My current lecture format is:

-60mins
    -5min break
    -50mins

Lecture style is pretty much non-stop talking on behalf of the lecturer, no questions, just information-overload. Other people have questioned the department but the response is always "there is too much to cover".

I've tried all the "dynamic note taking" techniques and read several books on effective studying but i just can't make it work. I suppose it doesn't help that my degree is law, which no lecturer can seem to make vaguely interesting (I know, i know, im doing the wrong degree).

What can I do short of taking black market ritalin? (joke).
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as you--I'm studying law, don't particularly like it, have these HUGE blocks of lectures. I used to fall asleep in them really easily, especially as each class was packed with students. too many, really.

just keep taking notes, don't look at your watch...don't use distractions like your laptop or wireless internet. bring a drink with you (tea or coffee). get proper sleep at night! just try to do little things like keep yourself motivated (have a big lunch once you get out of the lecture, etc).

I know how terribly dull it can get, but you have to put yourself through it. my university records lectures and uploads them afterwards, but you miss a lot by not attending or listening. it keeps you on track for the week, and you don't fall behind with seminars.

even though the boredom there is a whole other story...

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Worst bit in the 3 hours is when start to get hungry and your tummy starts to rumble. Argh. Then the coughing fits begin..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My uni breaks up two hour lectures with a 5-15 minute break at roughly the hour mark.

I'm doing engineering, so a lot of my lectures are very involved anyway. Apart from maths, sadly.

ReputationRep:
    Thats pretty much standard lenght of lectures at law schools.
    How about three hour lectures at LLM?!? Thats a real test of endurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJ555)
    Well, ok to be fair my lectures are one hour 50mins long, but I have the attention span of a small child. I'd say I have good attention for the first 15mins, then after 25 I'm completely out of it. My current lecture format is:

-60mins
    -5min break
    -50mins

Lecture style is pretty much non-stop talking on behalf of the lecturer, no questions, just information-overload. Other people have questioned the department but the response is always "there is too much to cover".

I've tried all the "dynamic note taking" techniques and read several books on effective studying but i just can't make it work. I suppose it doesn't help that my degree is law, which no lecturer can seem to make vaguely interesting (I know, i know, im doing the wrong degree).

What can I do short of taking black market ritalin? (joke).
    Argh, I also study law and am doing a year abroad, where ALL my lectures are two hours long, often with no break in between! Some of them are so boring (such as the law of agricultural subsidies) that I found it extremely hard to keep focused for the whole time.

I started to take my laptop to class and it really helps - not only can you take better notes, as typing quicker and they're already stored in a readable format, but if the lecturer starts repeating themself and talking about things you have already read about you can wake yourself up with a quick check of your emails, etc

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.