The Student Room Group

Are university's understanding?

I'm doing final year in a-levels this year and I've completed my ucas and it's been sent off. Basically I'm worried because I only live with my mum who is disabled so I spend alot of time looking after her which seriously limits the time I can study. So I'm worried that in the summer I will get E's and U's in my exams. I have applied for 5 foundation courses in Electronic and Electrical Engineering which most of them ask for 60-100 UCAS points. But I fear this is to much for me. Do universitys take into account personal problems or is there no hope for me?
Reply 1
no.
Reply 2
If it's an ongoing problem, it would be fairly pointless for them to give you the benefit of the doubt.

It sounds as though, with your mother being disabled, you'll be in this situation for some time. Thus, bad grades now will just convert to bad grades/failing in the future when you're on your foundation and degree courses. You'll be in exactly the same situation for years to come.

If you intend to move out, and can explain this, they may be SLIGHTLY more forgiving, but (as harsh as it sounds) you otherwise may be better off waiting to study until you no longer need to care for your mother, otherwise you can't expect to do particularly well on any course.
cpj1987
If it's an ongoing problem, it would be fairly pointless for them to give you the benefit of the doubt.

It sounds as though, with your mother being disabled, you'll be in this situation for some time. Thus, bad grades now will just convert to bad grades/failing in the future when you're on your foundation and degree courses. You'll be in exactly the same situation for years to come.

If you intend to move out, and can explain this, they may be SLIGHTLY more forgiving, but (as harsh as it sounds) you otherwise may be better off waiting to study until you no longer need to care for your mother, otherwise you can't expect to do particularly well on any course.

Agreed. You need to sort out the fundamental problem here...
Reply 4
OP, why have you sent me neg rep telling me that I'm 'harsh'?

You asked a question, I gave you an honest answer. You can't honestly expect to go through your entire life being handed things on a plate, without having earned them, because your mum is disabled?
Reply 5
You might get some leniancy if you have informed universities of your difficulties, but these are generally meant for temporary circumstances that mean you achieved less than you would if you'd taken the course at a different time. I have to agree with cpj that whether universities will let you onto a course is not the main issue here though.

Since you think you might not be able to pass more than 1 A level it really doesn't sound like you could cope with university study unless your circumstances change. You would also likely need to be free from 9-5 weekdays to attend lectures & labs which might be problematic. If you're serious about it, however, you might find useful support from speaking to some mature students with children who might have similar contraints on their time. Lots of people do manage to get through university with kids/as carers/with jobs that take up a lot of time, but it requires excellent time management and study skills which (harsh words coming up) you obviously have not yet developed if you are struggling to get more than 40% in more than 1 a level.

If it's likely that you'll be your mum's full time carer for the forseable future it might be worth thinking about part time or open university study which might fit better around your responsibilities.
Reply 6
cpj1987
OP, why have you sent me neg rep telling me that I'm 'harsh'?

You asked a question, I gave you an honest answer. You can't honestly expect to go through your entire life being handed things on a plate, without having earned them, because your mum is disabled?

Did they seriously neg you? If anything they should have pos repped you because your answer could not have been said better...

Latest

Trending

Trending