Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    rave
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Dogging.

Seriously though it just happens really, meet em on road lol.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Architecture Department

TSR

Friends of friends

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably a bit unusual in that almost all of my friends aren't based in college. When I started I was 21 and everybody else 17 or 18. First years tend to break into cliques really quickly and that can make it harder for you to meet individuals if they always sit in groups at hall or in the library and so on. Now in my final year I've kind of 'adopted' one of the groups in my year that I like best after a year or two of watching from the sidelines. That was very easy. I just started going to hall with them/invited them to my social occasions/invited myself to one of theirs once, hung around at the bar with them, etc etc.
    I more naturally picked up friends in my department, though. Sociology is a small subject and the lectures are often seminar size and encourage discussion. You really get a feel for the others on the course quite quickly. I also have a group of friends from the church group I got involved in in first year, the charity committee I volunteer on and TSR. By second year I began to feel that Emmanuel and Homerton were more prominent social bases for me than Peterhouse was. Generally if you do something on a regular basis and just make an effort to strike up conversation with people you find yourself seeing around often, you're bound to get to know some people you really click with. Just be patient, take up opportunities and always be open to meeting new people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.