Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm doing AQA A2 Chemistry, and I was revising order of reaction and saw on the specimen paper the following question:

When NO and O2 react at a constant temperatue the rate equation is rate = k [NO]2 [O2].

Using the rate equation, a mechanism was suggested for the reaction consisting of the two steps:

(1) NO + NO --> N2O2
    (2) N2O2 + O2 --> 2NO2

Which did scientists suggest was the rate-determining step?

Now I managed to guess when doing this as a mock, but I still don't understand how the answer is the second step. Can anyone explain how you can make this mechanism by looking at the rate equation, and also how you know which is the rate-determining step?

Thanks in advance.

Ok, the rate determining step is the slowest one. And the molecules in the rate equation take part in the rate stage. If its a reactant squared that means 2 molecules of it take part in the rate determining step.

So you know the rate determining step will take 2 molecules of NO (or what they have bonded in a quick step to make in this step) and one of O2 so the second of those two steps is the rate determining step.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.