Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The actual physical shape of roller coasters scare the **** out of me... watch

ReputationRep:
    I have no fear of actually going on roller coasters, and if I'm at a theme park for the time I'm there I'm not phased or unnerved in the slightest by their physical size and shape, but I honestly find it very difficult to look at pictures of roller coasters, I can't quite lay a finger on why, but I find their massive, irregularly shaped structures impossing and quite unnerving to look at.

I'll give you an example, if I was on the internet and a big picture of a roller coasted unexpected came up, in most cases it would probably send a shiver down my spine, and if I'm on a website where I could expect such pictures to appear, (ie on a theme parks website) I usually go quite slowly, and scroll more slowly than usual to make sure no pictures of the catch me unexpectedly.

It's really strange, because seeing them in the flesh and going on them, I have no phobia and am not phased, it is merely pictures that scares the **** out of me.

Why?

ReputationRep:

You mean like this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dairy Milk Chocolate)

You mean like this?
    Precisely, I was quite expecting that (probably should have :p: ), and as I said, it sent quite a shiver down my spine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dairy Milk Chocolate)

You mean like this?
    omg i love that rollercoaster!!!! :woo: i really like pictures of rollercoasters, all swoopy and twirly!

ReputationRep:
    The only way to get over this is to desensitise you to them...

I will continue the effort.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mean to frighten the OP (honestly). So I'm sorry if I did.

I understand they do like quite weird and slightly frightening. To me, they look like tentacles of some giant monster :-s
    But it is not a phobia for me in any sense.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah starting this thread is inevitably going to lead to picture after picture of rollercoasters

ReputationRep:
    De-sensitization is the only way.

Get on google images now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaisySpringer)
    Yeah starting this thread is inevitably going to lead to picture after picture of rollercoasters
    How else is he going to get over his irrational fear??

Out of interest OP, does the sight of a rollercoster scare you in person or just in pictures?

ReputationRep:
    life is a rollercoaster, baby, just gotta ride it

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow look at this.
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    Oh wow look at this.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    omg that scared the crap out of me~~~~

ReputationRep:
    Why pictures and not just being physically near them?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.