Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

VERY high electricity bill? watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I have been renting a 2 bed flat with my boyfriend since the 1st of september and we got our first electricity bill in the post this morning for the period 01sep to 03nov. Now, bear in mind the electricity was actualy switched off at the meter for the whole of spetember because we wernt actualy living here, (move in on like the 28th or something) the bill is £887.29 i mean SERIOUSLY? there no WAY we used that much electricity in one month, we didnt even have the heating on in October.

Can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    EDF?!, give them a call :P complain!

ReputationRep:
    Southern electric

ReputationRep:
    was the meter read on the day you moved in and submitted to the electrical company?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    was the meter read on the day you moved in and submitted to the electrical company?
    no, wish it was now but i didn't know anything about it, its my first time not living at home or in halls

ReputationRep:
    so when is the bill dated from

ReputationRep:
    Do any of your neighbours' flats smell like weed? Do they have thick black curtains that are always drawn?

ReputationRep:
    so when is the bill dated from
    from the date we started renting 01sept till 03nov, bill date so the day the sent the letter is 04jan

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, if i look at the meter now, since the end of the last bill, we have used WAY less energy in the same period of time, even though we have had heating on (electric heaters) and when i say the same time, i mean double because weve actualy been living here instead of just renting and not living like in september.

ReputationRep:
    Is it an estimated bill? Could the previous tenant have used a ridiculous amount and they're assuming you're using the same? Ring them up and give them an accurate meter reading, and ask how they worked out the bill?

even if everything electrical that you own had been on 24/7 you cant of used that much.

just ring them up

ReputationRep:
    was any money outstanding from the previous quarter?

ReputationRep:
    Definately a problem unless you have been running several electric heaters all day every day for the month.

ReputationRep:
    I"m wondering if the last tennents took a meter reading and sent it to the electric company before they left?. It does seem like an immense amount of cash tbh. Phone them and query it as it may turn out that some of that *could* be from the previous people that lived there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    even if everything electrical that you own had been on 24/7 you cant of used that much.

just ring them up
    yeah its such a high amount, making me feel ill...

it does say on it "actualy meter reading" like a little thumbs up hand symbol, but it cant be, its an oldish looking meter so it woudl be one of those ones that send them the data and the meter is actualy INSIDE our house, and theyve never come round.

ReputationRep:
    was any money outstanding from the previous quarter?
    the bills not very clear it doesnt mention anything outstanding it just says "this bill is for the period...."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callipygian)
    Okay so I have been renting a 2 bed flat with my boyfriend since the 1st of september and we got our first electricity bill in the post this morning for the period 01sep to 03nov. Now, bear in mind the electricity was actualy switched off at the meter for the whole of spetember because we wernt actualy living here, (move in on like the 28th or something) the bill is £887.29 i mean SERIOUSLY? there no WAY we used that much electricity in one month, we didnt even have the heating on in October.

Can anyone help?
    Okay, how much weed are you/your boyfriend growing?!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Ring them up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callipygian)
    the bills not very clear it doesnt mention anything outstanding it just says "this bill is for the period...."
    There should be an estimated meter reading printed on the bill. Compare this with the actual meter reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    I"m wondering if the last tennents took a meter reading and sent it to the electric company before they left?. It does seem like an immense amount of cash tbh. Phone them and query it as it may turn out that some of that *could* be from the previous people that lived there.
    yeah i dont know how i would proove that though... it is so much money, theres no way i can afford it

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes electricity companies use a sort of 'estimated usage' scheme; i.e., if the previous tenants used a lot of electricity, you'll get billed the same sort of amount regardless of what you use, and get it back as a refund at some point in the future - as long as you keep a tab on your meter readings!!

There also may be some residual bills from the previous tenants that they didn't pay, is the electricity account in your name and addressed to you, or 'the occupier'?

OP I'm not sure of your rights, as there was no meter reading submitted from when you moved in... How it worked for me was when we moved in we phoned up EDF and set up a new account, with the meter reading of both gas and electric from the day we moved in, and any outstanding bills they forwarded to the new address of the previous tenant. I don't know what to suggest except to phone the electricity company and explain?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.