Turn on thread page Beta

VERY high electricity bill? watch

ReputationRep:
    contact them and it might be a miscalculation/error on system, give them an accuracte reading and if you worked out how much you used calculate it back on the meter reading and give them that reading saying it was that when you moved in

ReputationRep:
    £800 a month of usage is like a weed farm or a sawmill!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callipygian)
    yeah i dont know how i would proove that though... it is so much money, theres no way i can afford it
    If possible tell us the meter reading and the billed reading and we can see if there is a large discrepency. For reference 1 Unit (Kwh) cost about 10-14p depending on your payment plan. So there should be a difference of several thousand in the readings.

ReputationRep:
    There should also be a meter serial number on the bill, check that against the actual one. Last year we got a gas bill that was for another household but addressed to us, again it was a ridiculous amount. The last flat we lived in our electricity bill for the year was roughly £1200 so just query it, tell them the size of the flat and what you use, they'll see sense.

Moral here is always get meter readings when you move into a new place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake22)
    £800 a month of usage is like a weed farm or a sawmill!!
    A weed farm or sawmill would use a lot more than £800 a month. My mum's work has a monthly electricity bill of £50k+.

ReputationRep:
    I have just calculated my leccy use for the same dates as you gave in your OP, bearing in mind we use a pre pay meter, and the total is £240 and I live in a 3 bedroom house. I am guessing that its from the last lot that lived in the flat. There may be a way you can prove when you moved in/ took tenancy and that would be in your contract or tenancy you signed when you took the flat. You could send a photocopy to the electric company as proof.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm yeah i just dont know how to prove it wasn't us that used the electricity, i mean someone must have made a meter reading when we took the property over but i have no idea who it was.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm yeah i just dont know how to prove it wasn't us that used the electricity, i mean someone must have made a meter reading when we took the property over but i have no idea who it was.
    someone must have made a meter reading when we took the property over

why do you assume that?
    It is not the responsibility of the landlord, it is the responsibility of the tenants to arrange it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    someone must have made a meter reading when we took the property over

why do you assume that?
    It is not the responsibility of the landlord, it is the responsibility of the tenants to arrange it.
    The bill is in our name, so the electricity company know there were new tennants taking over the property.

ReputationRep:
    The bill is in our name, so the electricity company know there were new tennants taking over the property.
    Doesn't mean they'll have sent anyone out to take a reading, they don't have any legal obligation to. You should've taken a read (and preferably a photo too) tbh. As someone else said, double check that the serial number on your bill as the same as on your meter.

Are the start and end reads on your bill actual or estimated?

ReputationRep:
    You should have... as the tenant it is your responsibility to deal with paying bills, taking readings etc.

ReputationRep:
    As most people have said, just ring them and explain. It's obviously a mistake so don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt4504)
    As most people have said, just ring them and explain. It's obviously a mistake so don't worry.
    WOO SHREWSBURY.

OP I work full time checking and disputing electricity and gas bills so if you want any further help in proving you didn't use that much electricity feel free to pm me.

ReputationRep:
    You're almost certainly paying for every other flat in the building, or at least some of them. Same thing happened with a girl who lives in a flat two floors below me with her water bills. Call them and get them to sort it out. Whatever you do don't pay them anything, you'll never get it back.

ReputationRep:
    Had the same problem this week, our gas bill came in at nearly £4,000. Turns out they were trying to bill us for the last tenants, but how on earth they used that much gas I have no idea! Anyway, we gave them our meter reading from yesterday and the whole bill went down to about £200. I'm also renting a two bed flat

Give them a ring and stay calm, you'll get a lot more out of it than just getting into a rage at whoever answers the phone. Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my electricity bill was around £180 higher than it should have been, because it was an estimated bill. I sent them my own meter reading and I now have £20 credit so I'm under the usage I have been paying for. Tell them when you moved in if there is a problem, show them your contract which will have the date you moved in, and they'll know you are not liable for electricity before that time.

ReputationRep:
    hmm on the phone to them now, they want to reduce it but certianly not by enough trying to bargain a bigger reduction
    its really anoying because the first guy we got was going to reset our bill etc but the phone cut out (duvet fell on it) and the second guy is being a right nob

ReputationRep:
    Okay turns out the letting agency are getting there meter readings from a different meter, and that theyve (southern electric) had this probelm before with this flat, no idea where this meter is, should get it sorted out on monday when his supervisor calls us back

edit: turns out the electricity company, the letting agency AND us have all been reading different meters, so theres 3 meters? and there all different, this is confusing.

ReputationRep:
    what's an electricity bill got to with a lettings agency? Surelt the contract is between the tenant and the supplier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    what's an electricity bill got to with a lettings agency? Surelt the contract is between the tenant and the supplier.
    Well the lettings agency were the people who took the reading and told the supplier

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.