Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is a fitness DVD three times a week enough for now? watch

Announcements

Due to the relentless snow and where I live, my gym membership which I enjoy so much is currently going to waste. Instead, for the time being, I bought Hannah Waterman's fitness DVD (:o:) as a temporary replacement because I'd read brilliant reviews about it being very intense and effective; I was sceptical at first until I did all 80 mins of it. The backs of my calves were stiff to the point where I was near-limping and my arms have been sore for the past three days since I did it!

I'm just wondering if I can FEEL it is an effective substitute for the gym until the snow clears, does that mean that it actually IS an effective replacement? The reviews say 20 mins, three times a week would suffice, but I'd do at least 40-60 mins a day four to five times a week.

What say you? :beard: Should I do something intense, like this DVD, a few times a week or something less taxing every day? I have to say I enjoy this as a challenge compared to other DVDs I've conquered in the past which I did daily. :p:

Also, at my fittest, I was doing 30 mins of intense exercise each evening. Would 40 mins of this DVD be ok or should I still be aiming for the recommended 60 mins, 7 days a week? (Sorry for the slightly rambling post).

ReputationRep:
    So basically, is a fitness dvd effective for fat loss and/or fitness?

Seems a long time to do something... why not try it for a week and see if you loose 1-2lbs? Intense exercise you can't really do for so long, so it's not that intense... If its anything like dancing, boxing or similar movements then you'll loose weight with a decent diet.

(Original post by 7777777)
    So basically, is a fitness dvd effective for fat loss and/or fitness?

Seems a long time to do something... why not try it for a week and see if you loose 1-2lbs? Intense exercise you can't really do for so long, so it's not that intense... If its anything like dancing, boxing or similar movements then you'll loose weight with a decent diet.
    Sorry, do you mean the 40-60 mins is too long? So do you think I should do 20 mins each day to make it truly intense or 20 mins every other day?

EDIT: Sorry, it's 20 mins intense cardio, 20 mins weights and 5 mins cool-down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Sorry, do you mean the 40-60 mins is too long? So do you think I should do 20 mins each day to make it truly intense or 20 mins every other day?

EDIT: Sorry, it's 20 mins intense cardio, 20 mins weights and 5 mins cool-down.
    Yeah it's quite a while, 20 mins intense would be better in my opinion

20 mins weights? is that cardiovascular/endurance weight training? i.e. light stuff seeing that your not at the gym.

20 mins weights? is that cardiovascular/endurance weight training? i.e. light stuff seeing that your not at the gym.
    Um, I have two 3lb dumbbells that I do reps with as I do lunges on the DVD, if you know what I mean. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Um, I have two 3lb dumbbells that I do reps with as I do lunges on the DVD, if you know what I mean. :o:
    okay, basically it's just the same thing but with a few extra pounds. So it's going to add more intensity to the cardio you're doing. 20 mins moderate intensity dvd, then 10-15 mins HIIT based weighted lunges should do (squats+press ups+burpees etc too I hope :p: and google HIIT if your unsure what it means). 5 days a week would probably be about right. I would normally say 3-4 days a week but its light weights and the dvd/weights isn't as intense as sprinting, demanding as heavy lifts or as enduring as long runs.

okay, basically it's just the same thing but with a few extra pounds. So it's going to add more intensity to the cardio you're doing. 20 mins moderate intensity dvd, then 10-15 mins HIIT based weighted lunges should do (squats+press ups+burpees etc too I hope :p: and google HIIT if your unsure what it means). 5 days a week would probably be about right. I would normally say 3-4 days a week but its light weights and the dvd/weights isn't as intense as sprinting, demanding as heavy lifts or as enduring as long runs.
    All those are in the DVD.

Repped. :top:

ReputationRep:
    All those are in the DVD.

Repped. :top:
    If it isn't working, then you may need to make adjustments with the routine or your food&drink intake

Thanks and hope all goes well

ReputationRep:
    I think Davina's DVDs are consistently great and they work! I went to the gym and did a fitness DVD twice a week it helped me lose 2 stone. So you can definitely substitute it as long as it challenges you and you do it at least 3 times a week.

ReputationRep:
    Booo, Hannah Waterman

(Original post by questionmark)
    I think Davina's DVDs are consistently great and they work! I went to the gym and did a fitness DVD twice a week it helped me lose 2 stone. So you can definitely substitute it as long as it challenges you and you do it at least 3 times a week.
    :eek: How long did it take you and how often did you go to the gym? Well done!

(Original post by Kash:))
    Booo, Hannah Waterman
    I know, I know, total ***** but her DVD is brilliant :p:

ReputationRep:
    :eek: How long did it take you and how often did you go to the gym? Well done!
    Thanks, I lost this weight in 2007...It took me from January to May so 5 months, I did Weight Watchers too though and needed alot of dedication and commitment ...good luck though.

Thanks, I lost this weight in 2007...It took me from January to May so 5 months, I did Weight Watchers too though and needed alot of dedication and commitment ...good luck though.
    Thanks. I've set down a plan to take me from January to May too! Do you think I could still do it without following a formal diet/eating plan and just be sensible? I really think my sedentary lifestyle is my downfall as I already eat low fat, high fibre :o: Like I said, I lost lots of weight before just by working out every day, and not following an eating plan. It came back when I quit dance classes. EDIT: Could I drop a dress size by March? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I've set down a plan to take me from January to May too! Do you think I could still do it without following a formal diet/eating plan and just be sensible? I really think my sedentary lifestyle is my downfall as I already eat low fat, high fibre :o: Like I said, I lost lots of weight before just by working out every day, and not following an eating plan. It came back when I quit dance classes. EDIT: Could I drop a dress size by March? :beard:
    Ok, yeah you can drop a dress size by March. In the five months I dropped two dress sizes. Yeah of course you can do it just by being sensible, it depends on what type of person you are. I prefer a regimented eating plan as I know without it I'll just eat anything so the diet and the food plans worked for me.

Ok, yeah you can drop a dress size by March. In the five months I dropped two dress sizes. Yeah of course you can do it just by being sensible, it depends on what type of person you are. I prefer a regimented eating plan as I know without it I'll just eat anything so the diet and the food plans worked for me.
    Oh thank you, repped

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.