Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice as to how to go about choosing the topics for FP3 MEI? I know for Differential Geometry you need to have chosen Investigation of curves in FP2, which I didn't, so I'm left with: Vector Geometry, Multivariable Calculus, Groups and Markov Chains.

Would I be better off sticking to three and being sure, or trying to learn all 4 and then choose the 3 questions in the exam that look the nicest? If just 3, then which should I go for? I've heard that groups is useful, and Markov chains are the nicest if you like statistics, but I'm stumped... Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    I'd do all 4 then just do whichever have the best questions in the exam, the FP3 exam is too unpredictable to just rely on learning 3. (Is better to learn 3 properly than rush 4 though). Also I was about to say about how if it's for an actual grade you'd be better off avoiding FP3 and doing DE or one of the applied modules instead; but I looked at your profile and I see you're doing AFM lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt2k8)
    I'd do all 4 then just do whichever have the best questions in the exam, the FP3 exam is too unpredictable to just rely on learning 3. (Is better to learn 3 properly than rush 4 though). Also I was about to say about how if it's for an actual grade you'd be better off avoiding FP3 and doing DE or one of the applied modules instead; but I looked at your profile and I see you're doing AFM lol.
    I've been trying to get to grips with partial differentiation approximations to \delta w today, and I think I'll leave that for now . I'm gonna do Vectors, Groups and Markov chains for now, then if I have time come back to multivariable calculus...

ReputationRep:
    Good luck, although I'd make sure to finish one chapter before starting another. BTW how come your Manchester offer is so high? The standard offer for people with FM applying for Maths is AAB with AA in C3 + C4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt2k8)
    Good luck, although I'd make sure to finish one chapter before starting another. BTW how come your Manchester offer is so high? The standard offer for people with FM applying for Maths is AAB with AA in C3 + C4.
    I didn't know that was high, I don't know anyone else who has an offer so I assumed that was the norm.. hmm. I genuinely have no idea.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 15, 2010

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.