Turn on thread page Beta

Institutionally, have straight, able, white males become second class? watch

ReputationRep:
    It just seems, in recent times, that your straight, able, white male has become second class or at least of less priority as an outcome of the government's strive for equality and diversity.

Now, I don't think it's a bad thing that the government has tried to ensure that minorities are represented and have equal footing within life; however, when the cost of this is received by another group, I think there is an issue, even if that group has received preferential treatment in the past. I believe all discrimination is wrong, and clearly 'equality' is not truly equal in some cases.

Positive discrimination appears to be a growing phenomenon within the job market, especially with the new Equality Bill.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I agree, discrimination goes both ways. Equal opportunity for all is the way forward. Fact is ethnic minorities now get jobs/uni places simply to fill quotas, which is ridiculous. Things like jobs and uni places should go to the best available, not taking into account skin colour in the slightest. Simply choosing a candidate because he/she is brown is no better than choosing one because they are white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimsonchilli)
    Fact is ethnic minorities now get jobs/uni places simply to fill quotas, which is ridiculous.
    This isn't "fact", it's an ignorant fantasy. The UCAS questions on ethnicity are voluntary and are not passed on to universities until after the selection process and giving a jobs to less able candidates on the basis of ethnicity is illegal under UK employment law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toasted)
    This isn't "fact", it's an ignorant fantasy. The UCAS questions on ethnicity are voluntary and are not passed on to universities until after the selection process and giving a jobs to less able candidates on the basis of ethnicity is illegal under UK employment law.
    This. I think 'positive discrimination' is completely overexaggerated in the press, and I don't see any evidence that straight, able, white males have become second class.

ReputationRep:
    there will never be equality in the world whether its to do with gender or skin colour because everyone is different the only thing that can be done is to make things similar,

choosing people from other countries, skin colour etc for jobs and uni's etc over british white british people is because this country has to be so PC now as the idiots who come up with all the PC crap don't want to offend them so make it so companies have to choose them just because they would be called racists etc for not hiring them, giving them places etc, people from other countries get housing etc over british people because of this of not wanting to offend

there has to be inequality and discrimination for there to be equality and fairness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimsonchilli)
    I agree, discrimination goes both ways. Equal opportunity for all is the way forward. Fact is ethnic minorities now get jobs/uni places simply to fill quotas, which is ridiculous. Things like jobs and uni places should go to the best available, not taking into account skin colour in the slightest. Simply choosing a candidate because he/she is brown is no better than choosing one because they are white.
    agreed

ReputationRep:
    in a way that only white people are seen to be racist and only men can be sexist i think they have become second class.

ReputationRep:
    Claiming positive racial discrimination comes into the majority of university/job admissions decisions kind of undermines any of your achievements if you happen to be non white and hardworking.
    Personally I still think unless you apply for something through a special scheme (I'm a bit opposed to those, personally) you're on an equal footing with everyone else if you're from an ethnic minority. But thats just my opinion I wouldnt say I have bothered overly with this.
    I just get on with things, you know?

ReputationRep:
    :indiff: now you're telling me gay people are picked over straight people?

Really?

Frankly, the post just seems full of nothing. You can say white males are preferred, and you can say they're discriminated against, and there's plenty of evidence for both statements, depending on how you look at it.

However, the common denominator is that all such evidence is very vague, unreliable and not generalisable. I find it hilarious how people think discrimination is a serious issue in the UK in universities/employment. There are real places in the world where discrimination is not only obvious, but shamelessly acknowledged. That's a problem. The UK doesn't have those problems, just an annoying, hyperventilating media, and miserable people who blame others.

ReputationRep:
    I am new labours worst enemy... one of those pesky Southern English (not scottish - and that matters in labour) - and so white, males, middle class, Christian, privately educated in the home counties and at university (not a polytechnic you see advertised on the train were you get a free ipod if you enrol), I'm not gay.

In fact I must be public enemy number one to new labour! I am exactly the kind of person whose nose labour wanted to rub in multiculturalism.

What did I ever do wrong???

The irony is of course that much of the Labour party is the same demographic as me (and therefore yes they are self loathing, hence they are so keen on destroying everything this country once was and stood for with their poisonous soft social marxism) just with a self destructive progressive left-liberal political persuasion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasharox)
    This. I think 'positive discrimination' is completely overexaggerated in the press, and I don't see any evidence that straight, able, white males have become second class.
    my dads company was contacted saying that they needed more people from ethnic minorities as the workforce was overwhelmingly white British . For a company of that size there are laws saying that at least a certain percentage must be of ethnic origins, yet not minimum for the amount of white British employees. In essence the company could be 100% Bangladeshi, yet not 100% white British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    (not scottish - and that matters in labour)
    :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LAURA459)
    :shifty:
    Well given that we have a Scottish prime minister... and that a considerable amount of senior Labour figures are either Scottish or were educated there... and given that the Labour party can only ever govern England with votes from Scotland and Wales, based on Celtic grievance... I would say it does matter.

ReputationRep:
    I am new labours worst enemy... one of those pesky Southern English (not scottish - and that matters in labour) - and so white, males, middle class, Christian, privately educated in the home counties and at university (not a polytechnic you see advertised on the train were you get a free ipod if you enrol), I'm not gay.

In fact I must be public enemy number one to new labour!

What did I ever do wrong???

The irony is of course that much of the Labour party is the same demographic as me (and therefore yes they are self loathing, hence they are so keen on destroying everything this country once was and stood for with their poisonous soft social marxism) just with a self destructive progressive left-liberal political persuasion.
    That's odd. I'm from the industrial central belt of Scotland, white, male, lower middle class, educated at a public school and Jewish, but yet they must hate me. Because they seem intent on listening into my conversations, reading my emails, and generally trying to exert control over my life.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, there should be no aims for equality and no laws against racial discrimination. The government shouldn't have any role in deciding or influencing who can hire who, and how much you can pay them.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't think we live in a straight white man's society, you're kidding yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    :indiff: now you're telling me gay people are picked over straight people?

Really?

Frankly, the post just seems full of nothing. You can say white males are preferred, and you can say they're discriminated against, and there's plenty of evidence for both statements, depending on how you look at it.

However, the common denominator is that all such evidence is very vague, unreliable and not generalisable. I find it hilarious how people think discrimination is a serious issue in the UK in universities/employment. There are real places in the world where discrimination is not only obvious, but shamelessly acknowledged. That's a problem. The UK doesn't have those problems, just an annoying, hyperventilating media, and miserable people who blame others.
    age discrimination regulations
    7. —(1) It is unlawful for an employer, in relation to employment by him at an establishment in Great Britain, to discriminate against a person—

(a) in the arrangements he makes for the purpose of determining to whom he should offer employment;

(b) in the terms on which he offers that person employment; or

(c) by refusing to offer, or deliberately not offering, him employment.
    similar for race, gender etc.

question : if its such a small issue, why does the government feel the need to step into employment with acts to control what employers make their decisions on?

it feels the need also to become involved in promotions and salary

(2) It is unlawful for an employer, in relation to a person whom he employs at an establishment in Great Britain, to discriminate against that person—

(a) in the terms of employment which he affords him;

(b) in the opportunities which he affords him for promotion, a transfer, training, or receiving any other benefit;

(c) by refusing to afford him, or deliberately not affording him, any such opportunity; or

(d) by dismissing him, or subjecting him to any other detriment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    If you don't think we live in a straight white man's society, you're kidding yourself.
    Well given that we are in the UK and the English Scottish and Welsh and are white and most happen not to be gay, and traditionally it was men who worked... is that really so surprising?

ReputationRep:
    I agree - the emphasis should be completely on choosing the best people for the job; skin colour shouldn't come into it at all.

ReputationRep:
    Well given that we are in the UK and the English Scottish and Welsh and are white and most happen not to be gay, and traditionally it was men who worked... is that really so surprising?
    To clarify, what I meant by that was it is the straight white middle class male who has the upper hand in society. Not the other way round like this thread suggests.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.