Turn on thread page Beta

Institutionally, have straight, able, white males become second class? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    If you don't think we live in a straight white man's society, you're kidding yourself.
    very random post
    we live in an anglo society, not exclusive to all white people, as the vast majority of people who live here are such.

that does not excuse "positive discrimination" and laws to give minorities in any regard advantages simply because they are minorities. that is as "racist" as denying them employment - it is treating them differently due to the attribute that makes them a minority.

ReputationRep:
    votes from this demographic have been taken for granted by the parties, therefore the voters become disillusioned, don't vote, and in turn the government of the day doesn't have to do anything for them - no vote, no representation. Bull **** system of power.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    very random post
    we live in an anglo society, not exclusive to all white people, as the vast majority of people who live here are such.

that does not excuse "positive discrimination" and laws to give minorities in any regard advantages simply because they are minorities. that is as "racist" as denying them employment - it is treating them differently due to the attribute that makes them a minority.
    I'm not condoning positive discrimination, I think it is generally counter productive. This thread seems to claim the straight white man has become second class and somehow disadvantaged, which if you actually take a look at our society, is clearly false.

ReputationRep:
    No. I think positive discrimination is somwhat exaggerated. They certainly haven't become second class, and I have not yet seen any evidence that that is so. Yes, there is diversity schemes etc but overall, "straight, white, middle-class males" are still on top.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as a straight, white, middle-class male, I think we have it pretty easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toasted)
    This isn't "fact", it's an ignorant fantasy. The UCAS questions on ethnicity are voluntary and are not passed on to universities until after the selection process and giving a jobs to less able candidates on the basis of ethnicity is illegal under UK employment law.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8411725.stm

The new bill legalises it in certain situations. But it's only the beginning.

I just can't wait for that massive sexist Harriet Harman to be out of power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8411725.stm

The new bill legalises it in certain situations.
    No it doesn't. Employing or promoting someone who isn't the best qualified candidate in order to fill an ethnicity quota is still illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toasted)
    No it doesn't. Employing or promoting someone who isn't the best qualified candidate in order to fill an ethnicity quota is still illegal.
    They can give the job to an ethnic minority because they are a minority, if they have the same qualifications as other candidates. But when applying for many or most graduate jobs, every applicant will have the same qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    the government's strive for equality and diversity
    I love how people say things like this with a straight face.

Doublethink: "The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them." Not just in fiction!

ReputationRep:
    at the end of the day everyone thinks their particular political standpoint/race/sex etc. are the victims of discriminiation and media bias.

If I ever come into any kind of position of power you can sure as hell bet I wont let anything to do with skin colour/sex make any decisions on people I would potentially employ etc. I would quite happily have an all-minority office if they were all the best candidates for the job, as I would happily have an all male office if they were the best candidates and any wishywashy hippy or feminist can go bugger off.

ReputationRep:
    I have seen so many job vacancies that say "applications from ethnic minorities are especially welcome" or words to that effect. And it genuinely does annoy me and make me think - well whats the ******* point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    I have seen so many job vacancies that say "applications from ethnic minorities are especially welcome" or words to that effect. And it genuinely does annoy me and make me think - well whats the ******* point.

You do realise that is more to encourage ethnic minorities who would have thought "whats (sic) the ******* point" of applying to a company dominated by white, middle class workers?

And to argue that white, middle class men don't have the easiest ride in society is pure fallacy. Just absolutely ridiculous. Open your ******* eyes.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think discrimination against white/able/middleclass/males is too bad at the moment. Other people have pointed out that the current discrimination laws only disadvantage them very slightly. I think what's more worrying though is what's to come. What makes you think it will stop here? What makes you think these laws will be reversed once ethnic minorites are overrepresented in every field? You might be correct to believe that people who have a more nationalistic sentiment are overreacting, but can you blame them for observing what is starting to happen, and trying to stop it before it escalates out of control?

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as positive discrimination.

Discrimination is discrimination. Candidates should always and only ever evaluated on the basis of their merits.

It is up to the government to act on common sense - or other people may feel inclined to offer white people positive discrimination, by rejecting all the Blacks and Asians. Oh, was that racist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    To clarify, what I meant by that was it is the straight white middle class male who has the upper hand in society. Not the other way round like this thread suggests.
    Exactly. Threads like this are just the majority, used to having had their own way for centuries, throwing their toys out the pram at the first signs (albeit very subtle and not anything like as pervading as most of the anti-PC brigade would have you believe) of losing their all-controlling dominance in favour of a more fair and equal society.

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree,
    I believe that the world is now enough ethnically balanced that the world has the ability to sort itself out, I am not denying that racism still exists in the least, I am however saying that quotas and ammendments are unnecessary and it is now possible for thousands of people to apply to a job or university and all be assessed solely on merit; race should no longer play a part in it whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite easy to get into the TSR mindset of OMG they're invading and stealing our jobs - but it's all fanciful in reality. As a few people have pointed out here, positive discrimination is very much exaggerated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mansfieldlj)
    I completely agree,
    I believe that the world is now enough ethnically balanced that the world has the ability to sort itself out, I am not denying that racism still exists in the least, I am however saying that quotas and ammendments are unnecessary and it is now possible for thousands of people to apply to a job or university and all be assessed solely on merit; race should no longer play a part in it whatsoever.
    I'm sorry how do you apply to university based on race?

Ethnic minorities and women have long faced discrimination when applying for jobs and the evidence shows this:

A government sting operation targeting hundreds of employers across Britain has uncovered widespread racial discrimination against workers with African and Asian names.

Researchers sent nearly 3,000 job applications under false identities in an attempt to discover if employers were discriminating against jobseekers with foreign names. Using names recognisably from three different communities – Nazia Mahmood, Mariam Namagembe and Alison Taylor – false identities were created with similar experience and qualifications. Every false applicant had British education and work histories.

They found that an applicant who appeared to be white would send nine applications before receiving a positive response of either an invitation to an interview or an encouraging telephone call. Minority candidates with the same qualifications and experience had to send 16 applications before receiving a similar response.

The alarming results have prompted Jim Knight, the employment minister, to consider barring companies that have been found to have discriminated against employees from applying for government contracts

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009...ent-undercover

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.