Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Article

What do you think about this?

Personally, I find while it's a pretty horrible thing for her to have done, the fact she felt like she couldn't trust the doctors and took it into her own hands to free her son of pain is sad and I don't know if I'd be able to go through with it

ReputationRep:
    Where did she even ger heroin from..??

:eek3:

I can see it from her point of view, but seriously Heroin OD used for 'euthinasia'?

ReputationRep:
    Really sad story.

I would understand her reasons for doing it, but from the sounds of it his Doctor was really optimistic about his chances of a recovery. :dontknow:

Ms Inglis, who said she used to visit her son twice a day, was asked by her barrister Sasha Wass QC about the "encouraging" prognosis described by consultant surgeon Ragu Vindlacheruvu.
    He had suggested "that Tom would be running his own business, walking, talking, independent, totally opposed to what everyone else had said and what I had seen with my own eyes", said the defendant.
    "All I saw was horror, pain and tragedy," she said.
    She added: "I knew that Dr Vindlacheruvu was lying."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Where did she even ger heroin from..??
    That's actually the first thing i thought and also:
    "The defendant said she was convinced that the doctor treating her son at Queens Hospital in Romford, Essex, was lying about his chances of recovery."

Sorry but don't most parents with children in that position cling onto hope even if the doctor's say there is no chance. I'd like to know why she thought they were lying, if she didnt have any medical training/ information from another doctor, if not she should definetly be charged with murder.

ReputationRep:
    It just highlights the need for the choice to be able to have euthanasia in this country, that people have to take guns into hospital, or give illegal controlled substances just to get their wishes.

It also however, and more importantly highlights the need for better communication and awareness with medical and health professionals when dealing with relatives during a trauma, especially in situations such as in ITU when it can be confusing and rather lonely time for the relatives of a patient. Clearly his condition was not better explained that she had to go to the internet to find her information- i'm sure if someone had taken the time, sat down and given her the facts, let her talk through her emotions, worries this wouldn't have happened. When caring and treating for a patient, the term to care 'holistically' doesn't necessarily mean just for the patient, but their relatives and carers also.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why she should think the doctor would lie to her? What would he gain from it? If her son really could have recovered and had a good life then this is an awful thing for her to have done to him.

ReputationRep:
    My stepmum works with "disabled" children, and informs me this goes on, in some cases, frequently. but is unreported as social services turn what is basically a blind eye

edit, just saw the link, and I'm pretty sure that doesn't go on too often, but it's not a rarity that smackhead mothers dose their children

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsHamster)
    I don't understand why she should think the doctor would lie to her? What would he gain from it? If her son really could have recovered and had a good life then this is an awful thing for her to have done to him.

Sometimes things look worse than they really are, a patient's partner thought i was lying last night about their loved one being ok, and stable becaue he was on oxygen through his nose and had a drip and machine attached, and in their eyes that meant 'seriously ill', and cried everytime they went to see him, however a quick sit down with the HO and myself with a cup of tea, soon made them realise- he was fine, it was just precautionate! Like i said, i bet 5 minutes properly explaining to this woman or a chat over a cup of tea would have saved this mans life.

ReputationRep:
    Why would a doctor lie to a parent about the chances of recovery in their child?.What struck me was the fact that she started to research ways to kill him just days after the accident, I mean maybe I have read that wrong, but wtf?. Another thing, imagine if he had recovered, as the dr said he would, that means that his mother killed him for nothing.

I"m a mother and am finding it really hard to understand her actions tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Ms Inglis, who said she used to visit her son twice a day, was asked by her barrister Sasha Wass QC about the "encouraging" prognosis described by consultant surgeon Ragu Vindlacheruvu.
    He had suggested "that Tom would be running his own business, walking, talking, independent, totally opposed to what everyone else had said and what I had seen with my own eyes", said the defendant.
    "All I saw was horror, pain and tragedy," she said.
    She added: "I knew that Dr Vindlacheruvu was lying."
    I hope he didn't say those things. It is lying. Even if that's what he hoped would happen, to say outright to the guy's mother that it was the ultimate prognosis is just wrong; head injuries even of the same magnitude rarely have the same outcome. Some people have relatively minor head injuries that affect them a lot, other people have very serious head injuries and surprise their doctors and make full recoveries, but to say as a doctor that you knew which way it was going to go would be purely making a random guess. It's unfair and in this case, clearly damaging.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're gonna go... heroin od doesn't sound like the worst way.

The thing is, you can't tell from the article how serious the son's condition actually was. If I was in constant pain with no hope of recovery I'd want to die, so I can't really condemn the mother if her son really was in that situation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Why would a doctor lie to a parent about the chances of recovery in their child?.What struck me was the fact that she started to research ways to kill him just days after the accident, I mean maybe I have read that wrong, but wtf?. Another thing, imagine if he had recovered, as the dr said he would, that means that his mother killed him for nothing.

I"m a mother and am finding it really hard to understand her actions tbh.
    She was researching his condition, not ways to kill him :p:

Situations like this are always difficult, but the thing which I wanted to know (his condition and whether her son was vocally responsive, and whether he asked for it) isn't apparent, so :iiam:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    She was researching his condition, not ways to kill him :p:

Situations like this are always difficult, but the thing which I wanted to know (his condition and whether her son was vocally responsive, and whether he asked for it) isn't apparent, so :iiam:

My bad, seems I did misread it.:o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuppie20)
    My stepmum works with "disabled" children, and informs me this goes on, in some cases, frequently. but is unreported as social services turn what is basically a blind eye

edit, just saw the link, and I'm pretty sure that doesn't go on too often, but it's not a rarity that smackhead mothers dose their children
    My mother works with disabled children also - as a social worker, and her and her team work very very hard to make sure nothing goes unreported. At the end of the day they are in the job to help the children and do what is best for their interest.

Social services do not turn a blind eye, they are underfunded, and overwhelmed with cases that they simply cannot get it right 100% of the time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.