Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just got rejected from Cambridge for Architecture, I dont know why yet but I want to give it another go next year.

Is anyone thinking of doing the same for any subject or has anyone here done it and gotten in the second time around or been rejected?

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about it, I guess it depends on whether I get in anywhere else good.
    But I would only actually reapply if I got at least 2 A*s in the A levels, I wouldn't want to go through the stress of a cambridge app again without a decent chance.
    Apparantly the success rate of reapplicants is higher than first time people. If its where you really want to go, I would go for it, but just be prepared for another rejection.

ReputationRep:
    yeap, i think my as grades had a part to play aswell as only having an evening to prepare.

Hopefully, if i get 3 As ill take a year out and mayb do an intensive a level aswell as some travelling then reapply.

If you really want it, its worth a shot.they look for potential though aswell dont they so you have to try and do something to you think will broaden your mind and maybe do things that will mature yourself as a person rather then just focusing on improving your academic record.

if you already have decent grades then its safe to guess they didnt reject you beacuse of that.

just one tip, the one thing they did espress an interest in me for was that i spent a short while independantly as a student in another country trying to learn the language. Something like that might help?

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for the first time, after I was rejected from Oxford this time.

It was my original intention to apply to Selwyn, Cambridge - I should just have done just that first time around!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replys, it makes me feel better hearing that im not alone in thinking this kind of thing as ive pretty much given up on life the last few days. i definately dont want to give up on Cambridge.

A Gap year is not the end of the world i guess and i might even have an amazing year. I just dont want to face anyone in school next week

ReputationRep:
    I know many candidates who have done this, a good number are successful. I know of one who applied to a mid ranking college first time and got rejected, second time went for a top one got in and got a first.Now they will be looking hard at your scores and you should try to find out where you went wrong this time also tou must be able to move on if unlucky twice. Later on employers will sometimes look favourably on someone who didn't take no for an answer:goaway: :goaway:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that just boosted my confidence. I know i'll have a great year if I do reapply and it sounds like ill have a better chance anyway. Architecture's such a long course anyway I doubt one year will make much of a difference.

ReputationRep:
    I might, especially if I don't get into Vet Med this year. There is a girl in our thread who applied last year, didn't get in, and reapplied this year to a different college and got an unconditional offer. So it happens! But if I get a Vet Med offer and meet it this year, then I would just be foolish to turn that down!!

ReputationRep:
    it would be amazing to get an unconditional offer this time next year and just be able to go off and travel for 6 months without any stress or exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurie161)
    A Gap year is not the end of the world i guess and i might even have an amazing year. I just dont want to face anyone in school next week
    You're right, you'd have fun. Don't worry about facing everyone! I know how tough it can be to tell people about a disappointment, especially if they've thought you're a surefire acceptance - but believe me, the best way is just to be completely honest about your disappointment - "Yeah I didn't get in; I'm really sad about it" - then look on the bright side - "But oh well! I might try again next year, haven't decided yet" - and congratulate others as sincerely as you can - "Oh, you got in? Wow, that's great, congrats!"

And don't give up on life! It's great

ReputationRep:
    mm its just so hard :/ this sounds horrible but i think i deserved to get in when i look at people who didnt even work or dont even really care that much but got in. It just seems like the harder you work the less you get
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I applied to Oxford last year for theology, got rejected, applied for Arch and anth at Cambridge this year and got in. Not only that, I'm also having a great gap year - if I didn't get in I would still be really happy about my decision to have a gap year.

It's up to you though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering reapplying next year (I got rejected for PPS, Trinity hall) but I don't know yet. These thoughts might pass.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure - I got rejected from Oxford for History this year, so I might give Cambridge a go next year, or perhaps a different Oxford college

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I was sitting on a place at Imperial when I was interviewed and Id be an idiot to give that up.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I am thinking of re-applying. For either joint honours or a different subject.

This would probabaly include Oxbridge yes.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by T-o dore)
    I applied to Oxford last year for theology, got rejected, applied for Arch and anth at Cambridge this year and got in. Not only that, I'm also having a great gap year - if I didn't get in I would still be really happy about my decision to have a gap year.

It's up to you though.
    That's quite an interesting switch. I'm interested in anthropology but not arch - such is life.

ReputationRep:
    I was considering a reapplication for Linguistics next year, with a somewhat different set of Unis - they would have Cambridge in common.

Yet to decide though - applied for Modern Languages this year, and I already have offers from St. Andrews and Brum, with UCL and Durham in the pipeline. It'd be tough to throw those away, but Linguistics is something I really fancy doing!

ReputationRep:
    im definately going for it however hard it might be to work for it i know i would regret not giving it everything i have. I really want to do a ski instructor course and environmental volunteering course plus get a job, get loads of work experience, go travelling and do history a level and further maths as level so i think there will be plenty to do !
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    That's quite an interesting switch. I'm interested in anthropology but not arch - such is life.
    Hmm well archaeology is only 25% of first year, and then you don't do any more of it. Im like you, but I've found archaeology to be really interesting from a historical point of view.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.