Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phen)
    Yeah, I saw you wanted to substitute your Glasgow app for an Imperial app. I'm not really into big cities, though.. I might apply for Durham, though. But I'm really not sure. :P I'm doing everything on a whim at the moment..
    Yeah, I'm not particularly a fan of big cities either, but if you want to reach the top of your field you owe it to yourself to aim for the best universities.

Think it through carefully - there's still a week to decide :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Clare last year.. got pooled.. followed by a rejection. I then reapplied this year and got a straight offer from Girton. So there is light at the end of the tunnel for reapplicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by >Jess<)
    I applied to Clare last year.. got pooled.. followed by a rejection. I then reapplied this year and got a straight offer from Girton. So there is light at the end of the tunnel for reapplicants.
    Congrats and thanks for the post. Its things like that that make me more confident in my almost definate decision to reapply. What subject did you apply for and was your offer unconditional?

What kinds of things did you do in your year out? Did you find it a really long time?

Sorry for all the questions :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rvg)
    At the website they make a clear statement about other UK universities... http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...tes.html#other
    Am I right to read into this that an international university would not be a problem? Anyone experienced in applying while being at university outside the UK?
    I've applied for medicine while I'm in medical school here in the Netherlands already. It didn't ever occur to me that it could be a problem, I just applied..
    I'm reapplying next year so perhaps it will be a problem then since I will be in my second year of medical school by that time..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Claudia_)
    Are you the girl I had breakfast with at St. John's on the 10th??
    Sorry if you're not.
    I'm pretty sure I am! How did your pool interview go?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    I really don't know yet.

I'm thinking I will probabaly just go to exeter unless I end up with A*AAA + in which case I will put some thought into re-applying.

What kind of scholarships?
    departmental scholarships for getting good grades like 3A+
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by kosy91)
    departmental scholarships for getting good grades like 3A+
    I see, well good luck mate =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutumnRain)
    I've applied for medicine while I'm in medical school here in the Netherlands already. It didn't ever occur to me that it could be a problem, I just applied..
    I'm reapplying next year so perhaps it will be a problem then since I will be in my second year of medical school by that time..
    Are you sure you're reapplying next year already? To Cambridge again or other UK universities? I'm at the moment trying to forget this whole thing and obtain a couple of things:

1) Useful feedback
    2) Good grades at my exams
    3) More experience and knowledge about the subjects I like (reading books etc)

After considering these, I'll seriously think about it again. To which college did you apply btw? And do you think you underperformed at interview or something else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phen)
    On topic:
    I just applied to Edinburgh.. I'm hoping they'll give me an offer, so I have an offer to fall back on if I get rejected from St A but want to study in the UK anyway.

Not that I'm EXPECTING them to do so, but I'm certainly hopeful.
    What are you going to do if you don't receive any UK offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rvg)
    What are you going to do if you don't receive any UK offers?
    Then I'm going to a Dutch university. Probably Groningen for Chemistry, or perhaps Twente for Chemical Engineering. Or Utrecht, as I could simply stay at my mother's home there. Or another university.. As you can tell, my plans aren't solid. I'm going to try and get an offer from a UK university and only after that I'm going to start considering the opportunities in the Netherlands (since the UK deadlines are so much earlier). I'm not even 100% sure I'm going to accept any UK offer I'm getting, but it's quite likely. Again, I'd have to look into opportunities over here first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuddlebuggy)
    Haha thank you! But I think I should be the one saying that considering you have a Cambridge offer. Congratulations and good luck with UCL! :yes:
    Thank you. Obviously I'm pleased with Camb but, to be honest, I think I'd be much happier at UCL. Edinburgh was actually my first choice and I was GUTTED when they rejected me - I literally cried for hours. So I understand how being unsuccessful can suck, but I guess you just have to get over it and keep going. I hope you're happy wherever you decide to go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennihi)
    I'm pretty sure I am! How did your pool interview go?
    Not very well, I'm afraid. I'll hear very soon so I'm keeping my fingers crossed
    I'm so sorry to hear you got rejected But I just saw that you have a few pretty good offers there, so congrats!! I hope you meet your offer for Bristol, it is such a great university! I wanted to apply there but they're so popular for English that I was sure I'd be rejected :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurie161)
    Congrats and thanks for the post. Its things like that that make me more confident in my almost definate decision to reapply. What subject did you apply for and was your offer unconditional?

What kinds of things did you do in your year out? Did you find it a really long time?

Sorry for all the questions :P
    I applied for Vet Medicine, and yep the offer is unconditional
    Umm well to be honest, cause i never wanted to do a gap year the first couple of months were really dull and a bit lonely cause all your mates go off to uni... But iv now got a couple of part time jobs, I'v been doing bits of work experience here and there and im hopefully going travelling (but dont know where yet) later on in the year so things have definitely picked up and iv started to relax and really enjoy myself.
    I think really it depends what u do with your gap year that determines how good it is. You definitely have to plan it otherwise it will be horribly boring but there are so many worthwhile things that u can do, so in that sense gap years are really good.

ReputationRep:
    I was starting to contemplate a gap year before the Cambridge rejection, and now considering it. My issues are
    - what can I do to look good for history? Erm, I'm not sure about finding a job in a museum...
    - (and this is bigger) What will other unis think? Say I don't get in to Cambridge again, and Durham were to give me an offer this year and I reapplied next year - would they even look at me?

To everyone who reapplied - what about other unis you'd applied to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Claudia_)
    Not very well, I'm afraid. I'll hear very soon so I'm keeping my fingers crossed
    I'm so sorry to hear you got rejected But I just saw that you have a few pretty good offers there, so congrats!! I hope you meet your offer for Bristol, it is such a great university! I wanted to apply there but they're so popular for English that I was sure I'd be rejected
    I'm having my fingers crossed for you as well, I really think you deserve the place! Must be really annoying to be still waiting, I was almost happy to hear I got rejected as that meant no more waiting. Which college was it that re-interviewed you?
    Haha I really hope I meet my offer for Bristol, too, I haven't visited Bristol yet, but it seems just great! If I don't, then I might even reapply to Cambridge next year..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by >Jess<)
    Umm well to be honest, cause i never wanted to do a gap year the first couple of months were really dull and a bit lonely cause all your mates go off to uni... But iv now got a couple of part time jobs, I'v been doing bits of work experience here and there and im hopefully going travelling (but dont know where yet) later on in the year so things have definitely picked up and iv started to relax and really enjoy myself.
    I think really it depends what u do with your gap year that determines how good it is. You definitely have to plan it otherwise it will be horribly boring but there are so many worthwhile things that u can do, so in that sense gap years are really good.
    Yeh Im so excited about all the things I can do in that year, less excited about the application process again but atleast I'll be familiar with it and will know where my weaknesses are.

(Original post by Marinor)
    I was starting to contemplate a gap year before the Cambridge rejection, and now considering it. My issues are
    - what can I do to look good for history? Erm, I'm not sure about finding a job in a museum...
    - (and this is bigger) What will other unis think? Say I don't get in to Cambridge again, and Durham were to give me an offer this year and I reapplied next year - would they even look at me?

Im applying for architecture so Im not in the know about history but what about volunteering with the national trust? They have a pretty big volunteering and young people scheme I'm going to try and volunteer with them for building conservation but they have loads of things based around historical sites and architecture etc and you might get to travel around the country abit.

With respect to reapplying to other universities they probably wouldnt even realise that you had applied before im guessing. I would think they would be more interested in your gap year and some places even love you doing it

ReputationRep:

I really wanted to reapply but it depends on what greades I will achieve. If they will be good and I will fulfill the requirements of other universities I will ask them for a deffered entry 2011. I will have a year to apply to cambridge and if i get in I'll somehow reject the uni I got into. I think it is possible however I am not form UK so I may not be 100% familiar with the application system. But good luck with your other choices!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurie161)
    Im applying for architecture so Im not in the know about history but what about volunteering with the national trust? They have a pretty big volunteering and young people scheme I'm going to try and volunteer with them for building conservation but they have loads of things based around historical sites and architecture etc and you might get to travel around the country abit.

With respect to reapplying to other universities they probably wouldnt even realise that you had applied before im guessing. I would think they would be more interested in your gap year and some places even love you doing it
    That's SUCH a good idea! Thank you!

As to other unis, no, that is true. I meant if I reapplied to the same ones, though, eg Durham...:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rvg)
    Are you sure you're reapplying next year already? To Cambridge again or other UK universities? I'm at the moment trying to forget this whole thing and obtain a couple of things:

1) Useful feedback
    2) Good grades at my exams
    3) More experience and knowledge about the subjects I like (reading books etc)

After considering these, I'll seriously think about it again. To which college did you apply btw? And do you think you underperformed at interview or something else?
    I applied to Downing. You?
    I'm not completely sure about reapplying yet, since I don't know whether I'm eligible to apply again.

I screwed up my BMAT test and I didn't know what to expect at the interview at all.. I was completely unprepared! I think those things have been my downfall.

At the moment I'm just concentrating on studying, but I also want to start preparing for next year.. Reading books and getting more experience about the subject is definitely a good idea. I'm going to email some colleges to find out whether they would consider my application. If I can apply again, I will, because I absolutely loved Cambridge..

ReputationRep:
    That's SUCH a good idea! Thank you!

As to other unis, no, that is true. I meant if I reapplied to the same ones, though, eg Durham...:confused:
    Thats ok i hope it helps especially as it seems so hard to think of things to make yourself stand out!

Im not sure exactly how each uni would see it but I know someone who reapplied to the same set unis a second time (not Durham though) and got in to all of them with no problems

Which unis did you apply to/get offers at this year?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.