Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiasunshine)
    I really don't know what I'll do...I don't want to reapply, but I've been rejected from 3 of my other choices, and either managed to apply wrong, had a moment of insanity or just got a different offer from what I applied to for York; Linguistics rather than Literature...it's a nice Uni, but I was never that thrilled about it even when I assumed my offer was for Literature. Just waiting to hear from Durham now, but I'm not hopeful.
    Can you ask them to swap your course because there was a mix up?

I was crushed about cambridge but I'm getting really excited for a gap year (if I get rejected from bath or maybe even if I get an offer). I can do so many amazing things and I wont be forced into going to uni when I don't feel ready to leave home yet.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, i got rejected from the bridge for aerospace engineering. i have my four other offers at really good universities including bristol and southampton. i messed up the interview at cambridge very badly and now im stuck. every who advises me tells me to take up my offer but im not sure as i really think i have what it takes to make it at cambridge. my feedback mentioned the fact that i underperformed in the interview so i just wanted some views on it. its not the fact that i didnt get in its just that i couldnt show them the real me before they made the decision. so what next? :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fumblewomble)
    Well yes, it's a bad thing for those who eventually end up with a rejection. But those who end up with an offer from it usually think it was a good thing - it got them into Cambridge.
    I fully understand that and would probably have had the same opinion if I had received an pool-offer. That's why I state it's applicant-unfriendly, I don't say it's a bad system in general. Things would become a lot easier for poolees if they changed the "sending-out-decisions-day" to for example january 15, or if they managed to finish the pool before christmas. Either way, applicants would hear one of the following:
    1) You have an offer
    2) You are rejected
    3) You have been pooled and made an offer
    4) You have been pooled and rejected (this could also be under 2) as you don't really need to know if you're rejected anyway... ah well.)
    5) You have been pooled and invited for reinterview

This way, you don't give people false hope and the only ones who have to wait are the re-interviewees, but they at least KNOW they have a chance and they have influence on the decision, to some extent.

So, that's how the pool could be better But it probably costs too much effort and money to make it work this way, so it's probably just a naive suggestion from a drowned poolee:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, First of all congrats on you other offers!

Although its a personal decision I support reapplication. I havent received my feedback yet but I can pretty much say it was my portfolio (I'm applying for architecture) because of what other universities have told me and as soon as I showed them in the interview I knew. It sounds like you would have a good chance if you reapply.

I think its important to consider everything especially what would you like to do in your gap year. I have found amazing things that I want to do if I decide to reapply it would be a squeeze to fit everything in and I'm really excited weirdly! For engineering Cardiff Uni are really good withsummer schools and courses etc I took two last summer and they were really interesting ( I built a robot and a prosthetic arm) and the interviewers seemed impressed.

I started a thread for Cambridge reapplicants and I have found what some people have said after they have reapplied very helpful - it shows you its not the end of the Cambridge dream and that perhaps it was just not your time. Everyone who did enjoyed their gap year aswell. Sorry I cant find the link but for some reason I cant get onto it

Also sorry for the long post :P Theres just so much to think about with it all.

ReputationRep:
    I must say I'm really stuck about university choice at the moment... I'm sad about the rejection, although I'm also in a doubt if I applied to the right course after all (I only applied to Cambridge through UCAS). I really don't know what I want to do next year and I'm considering nearly every course (well, not every course, but several very different things) again. And I don't know what I want to do with my Cambridge-dream/wish/whatever it is, if I choose to study here (the Netherlands). I know it's not everything but I think I would really like it there... It's as simple as that. But I don't know that for sure either: I might reapply, get a place after all and be disappointed then. As you can see, I'm really stuck about the whole thing and I don't have an idea what I will be doing this time next year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rvg)
    I must say I'm really stuck about university choice at the moment... I'm sad about the rejection, although I'm also in a doubt if I applied to the right course after all (I only applied to Cambridge through UCAS). I really don't know what I want to do next year and I'm considering nearly every course (well, not every course, but several very different things) again. And I don't know what I want to do with my Cambridge-dream/wish/whatever it is, if I choose to study here (the Netherlands). I know it's not everything but I think I would really like it there... It's as simple as that. But I don't know that for sure either: I might reapply, get a place after all and be disappointed then. As you can see, I'm really stuck about the whole thing and I don't have an idea what I will be doing this time next year...
    I think a Dutch uni will be fine too.. As you can tell from my signature, I'm applying to two Scottish universities (updated via track after Cambridge rejection). That's not to say I'm definitely going to a Scottish uni if I receive an offer. I'm still going to contemplate on the dilemma of Scottish/Dutch uni if I do receive an offer.

I had the same thing as you're having now, with course choices. I decided (as my signature shows) something in Chemistry with a emphasis on materials (I think that'd be a very interesting field to work in.. that's why).

What courses are you considering?

p.s.: What made me 'get over it', was the fact that the tuition fees are of biblical proportions (and they can be much bigger still! it's insane). 3600 pounds for 3x8 weeks a year is a LOT of money, esp. compared to about 1700 euros or (in the case of Scotland) 0 pounds/euros. In the end, your education is what you make of it. Going to Cambridge is going to make staying motivated a ton easier, but surely it's not impossible to pave your way to academic achievement without them?

p.p.s.: The above post is incoherent. I was alt-tabbing between posting and listening to some music constantly, so.. that's why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phen)
    I think a Dutch uni will be fine too.. As you can tell from my signature, I'm applying to two Scottish universities (updated via track after Cambridge rejection). That's not to say I'm definitely going to a Scottish uni if I receive an offer. I'm still going to contemplate on the dilemma of Scottish/Dutch uni if I do receive an offer.

I had the same thing as you're having now, with course choices. I decided (as my signature shows) something in Chemistry with a emphasis on materials (I think that'd be a very interesting field to work in.. that's why).

What courses are you considering?

p.s.: What made me 'get over it', was the fact that the tuition fees are of biblical proportions (and they can be much bigger still! it's insane). 3600 pounds for 3x8 weeks a year is a LOT of money, esp. compared to about 1700 euros or (in the case of Scotland) 0 pounds/euros. In the end, your education is what you make of it. Going to Cambridge is going to make staying motivated a ton easier, but surely it's not impossible to pave your way to academic achievement without them?

p.p.s.: The above post is incoherent. I was alt-tabbing between posting and listening to some music constantly, so.. that's why.
    Well... I originally intended to study Chemical Engineering (or Chemistry/Physics -> proceed in Natural Sciences) but atm I'm not sure anymore... The thing is, I love Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics quite a lot, but I'm just not sure if I'm ready to give up "the other side" i.e. Arts subjects. I'm not sure if I want to work in a lab rather than directly do something for other people, I'm not sure if I would prefer doing a lot of practical laboratory things over reading books and writing essays... I could go on with this for ages :P The choice is hard because it determines quite a lot... The "Arts-course" I'm considering is mainly law actually, but I don't really know for sure that's what I want to study either. In other words, I'm one big question mark when it comes to choice of university, right now I'm considering Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and a completely different degree like Law (with Philosophy where possible).

You're point about Cambridge being very expensive is a very good one though! There are several more disadvantages of course, which I try to remember if I'm sad about rejection, but fact remains that an offer would have outweighed all those disadvantages at once... But I don't have one and that's how things are, so I guess I should move on Of course, many dutch universities will provide excellent education; Oxford and Cambridge are top-class, but apart from them, dutch uni's aren't worse than British ones in general, I believe. I sort of moved beyond the idea of reapplying, although it hasn't died completely yet... I just don't know anymore and it's good to rant randomly about it here because my family is kind of driven crazy by this stuff right now, I believe :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rvg)
    Commiserations. You're a confirmation of my opinion that the whole pooling thing is very applicant-unfriendly: they're calling you for a second interview (and yes, you could refuse to come again, but let's face it: nobody will do that) and you have to make the whole effort again, to be rejected afterwards... Good luck at whichever university you go to! (and you're right about the last thing )
    Thank-you
    After some thought I'm not that bitter towards Cambridge - at the end of the day, they have a job to do and they have to sort out the very best of a very good bunch to take. I'm probably not the type of person who they're looking for and it could work out best for me if I go elsewhere. Who knows.

(Original post by r2enigma)
    Think I'm gonna reapply. Got rejected pre-interview coz I didn't have any results when I was applying(I was going to send them but the results got delayed )...oh well...my sis and mom calling me crazy for declining the offer from UCL to reapply but cambridge dream is hard to give up....
    Wow, you're brave - rejecting UCL, I wish I'd applied there, it looks like a great uni. Best of luck for next year, don't give up and to quote Journey - "Don't Stop Believing"! I met a guy down there at my first interview who got rejected in 2008, he reapplied and got an unconditional this time around. Fingers crossed for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rvg)
    Well... I originally intended to study Chemical Engineering (or Chemistry/Physics -> proceed in Natural Sciences) but atm I'm not sure anymore... The thing is, I love Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics quite a lot, but I'm just not sure if I'm ready to give up "the other side" i.e. Arts subjects. I'm not sure if I want to work in a lab rather than directly do something for other people, I'm not sure if I would prefer doing a lot of practical laboratory things over reading books and writing essays... I could go on with this for ages :P The choice is hard because it determines quite a lot... The "Arts-course" I'm considering is mainly law actually, but I don't really know for sure that's what I want to study either. In other words, I'm one big question mark when it comes to choice of university, right now I'm considering Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and a completely different degree like Law (with Philosophy where possible).

Your* point about Cambridge being very expensive is a very good one though! There are several more disadvantages of course, which I try to remember if I'm sad about rejection, but fact remains that an offer would have outweighed all those disadvantages at once... But I don't have one and that's how things are, so I guess I should move on Of course, many dutch universities will provide excellent education; Oxford and Cambridge are top-class, but apart from them, dutch uni's aren't worse than British ones in general, I believe. I sort of moved beyond the idea of reapplying, although it hasn't died completely yet... I just don't know anymore and it's good to rant randomly about it here because my family is kind of driven crazy by this stuff right now, I believe :P
    I see, then you're quite a bit the same as me with course choices. I first thought of Chemical Engineering (Twente University) in late 2008~first month of 2009. I wasn't entirely sure whether that was for me, though. I really like Physics/Mathematics too, and have considered both of those as well. I realized though, that Mathematics in itself isn't for me, and I wouldn't pick Physics over Chemistry. So, that led me to Chemistry and that, in turn, led me to Chemistry with Materials: I looked at the options/fields within Chemistry and that one seems most compelling.
    Notice that even though Dutch universities 'just' offer 'Chemistry', you can do vaguely the same as at British universities (i.e. "Chemistry with Materials"). I checked out Groningen University's Chemistry course, and it seems that it is not entirely unlike a "natural sciences" course, in that you get a lot of Physics/Mathematics in the first two years or so. Also note that Groningen's Chemistry course allows you to interchange between Chemistry and Chemical Engineering in the first year or two! Perhaps this is something for you to consider.

Another thing: have you considered the fact that the way into teaching is quite open after graduating? I think that'd be quite compelling. Almost all of my science teachers initially studied the subject at university (and some did some research and whatnot too) before going into education. That way, you're not completely isolated from 'people' in your job.
    (Just noticed I misread something making the above paragraph slightly.. misplaced, perhaps. O well, I'm leaving it in anyway.)

I'm not sure how to help you choose between Arts-subjects and Science subjects, I'm afraid. I know for a fact I'd hugely dislike learning books inside-out for Law.. I'm not sure where you stand on that matter, but I'd personally not advice anyone Law. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phen)
    I see, then you're quite a bit the same as me with course choices. I first thought of Chemical Engineering (Twente University) in late 2008~first month of 2009. I wasn't entirely sure whether that was for me, though. I really like Physics/Mathematics too, and have considered both of those as well. I realized though, that Mathematics in itself isn't for me, and I wouldn't pick Physics over Chemistry. So, that led me to Chemistry and that, in turn, led me to Chemistry with Materials: I looked at the options/fields within Chemistry and that one seems most compelling.
    Notice that even though Dutch universities 'just' offer 'Chemistry', you can do vaguely the same as at British universities (i.e. "Chemistry with Materials"). I checked out Groningen University's Chemistry course, and it seems that it is not entirely unlike a "natural sciences" course, in that you get a lot of Physics/Mathematics in the first two years or so. Also note that Groningen's Chemistry course allows you to interchange between Chemistry and Chemical Engineering in the first year or two! Perhaps this is something for you to consider.

Another thing: have you considered the fact that the way into teaching is quite open after graduating? I think that'd be quite compelling. Almost all of my science teachers initially studied the subject at university (and some did some research and whatnot too) before going into education. That way, you're not completely isolated from 'people' in your job.
    (Just noticed I misread something making the above paragraph slightly.. misplaced, perhaps. O well, I'm leaving it in anyway.)

I'm not sure how to help you choose between Arts-subjects and Science subjects, I'm afraid. I know for a fact I'd hugely dislike learning books inside-out for Law.. I'm not sure where you stand on that matter, but I'd personally not advice anyone Law. :P
    Thanks! The fact alone that someone is in a (slightly) similar position and that I can talk to such a person is a huge comfort I don't really like learning books inside out either (who does?:P) but it comes fairly natural to me so I don't think it would be a great issue... The thing is, I might prefer the jobs you can get with a Law degree, but I might prefer to study sciences. Well, I guess I should think those things through the next couple of months.

Good luck with your English listening test tomorrow! (I assume you're taking that test tomorrow as well from CITO:p:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rvg)
    Thanks! The fact alone that someone is in a (slightly) similar position and that I can talk to such a person is a huge comfort I don't really like learning books inside out either (who does?:P) but it comes fairly natural to me so I don't think it would be a great issue... The thing is, I might prefer the jobs you can get with a Law degree, but I might prefer to study sciences. Well, I guess I should think those things through the next couple of months.

Good luck with your English listening test tomorrow! (I assume you're taking that test tomorrow as well from CITO:p:)
    ?? No, no English listening test to my knowledge.. o____o

Remember that most employers will generally value a science degree, so that the job opportunities are still quite open after having studied a science.. I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phen)
    ?? No, no English listening test to my knowledge.. o____o

Remember that most employers will generally value a science degree, so that the job opportunities are still quite open after having studied a science.. I believe.
    Well, maybe your school doesn't take them? That's entirely possible, don't worry... And otherwise you'll manage anyway, regarding your level of English, it's not very hard.

Yeah that's true to some extent, but I think it will be hard to go into jobs you can do after taking a law degree... Well, I think I should figure this out before may, so I've got plenty of time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rvg)
    Well, maybe your school doesn't take them? That's entirely possible, don't worry... And otherwise you'll manage anyway, regarding your level of English, it's not very hard.

Yeah that's true to some extent, but I think it will be hard to go into jobs you can do after taking a law degree... Well, I think I should figure this out before may, so I've got plenty of time
    Yeah, I guess. :P A good night's sleep would be helpful, but other than that I doubt I have a lot of practising to do for a listening test.

I know what you mean.. I'm not sure what it's actually like. I guess you do have enough time to find that out, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex91)
    Thank-you
    Wow, you're brave - rejecting UCL, I wish I'd applied there, it looks like a great uni. Best of luck for next year, don't give up and to quote Journey - "Don't Stop Believing"! I met a guy down there at my first interview who got rejected in 2008, he reapplied and got an unconditional this time around. Fingers crossed for you.
    thanks...and good luck to you too in whatever you do. I see you have an offer from Manchester...i've heard that it's a great uni too :yep:

ReputationRep:
    say if i reapply after taking out a gap year? is it worth doing retakes to get better A level grades just in case? or do they look down on it completely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharathsree)
    say if i reapply after taking out a gap year? is it worth doing retakes to get better A level grades just in case? or do they look down on it completely?
    When I was at an open day they said they dont mind a few resits but not complete subjects, only to demonstrate knowledge in that area and if you need to pull your overall grade up.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r2enigma)
    why won't you reapply? I thought you would almost definitely get an offer(sorry )
    It is, after all, just a university. Sure - an amazing one, but the choice of course should be much more important than choice of uni. And with Cambridge a lot of doors would open - but without Cambridge other doors will open for me. I still have a lot of opportunities.

I enjoy the lack of pressure that I've now been blessed with and specific grades doesn't have to matter as much anymore. I can focus on things outside of academia and that's what I plan to continue with in the future as well.

Tbh I think I wanted Cambridge more than I wanted my specific course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharathsree)
    I don't think that they count them, as such, but doing resits shows that you're committed to improving your grades, which can only be a good thing. It might also be worth looking into doing another A-level or something like that. If you do reapply, you have to try and kind of change your academic profile so you're not exactly the same person you were when you applied the first time round. Or that's what I've heard, anyway. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I guess someone else might have asked this already, but here goes....

My daughter applied for History at Fitz and didn't get an offer. She has offers for York (AAA) and Southampton (AAB). She is predicted A*AA (A in History). These seem like good offers - but she was very disappointed not to get an offer from Cambridge.

The question is, if she takes York as her firm, and Southampton as her insurance - and then does really well in her A levels, gets good results - say A*AA, A*A*A or whatever - can she just hand in her place and go round the UCAS cycle again, reapplying for Cambridge and others again?

Or if she wants to reapply, does she need to reject her offers this year (before knowing what her results are)?

The UCAS website says that giving a firm acceptance to an offer is a contractual agreement (http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/offer...ngtoyouroffers - http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/resul...andoffers/faq6 ) . I guess it is self evident that, if you don't want to go to that uni any more, they are unlikely to force you. But I wondered if it is generally considered 'bad form' and to give you a black mark for future applications. Or is what I'm suggesting standard practice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bb193)

Or if she wants to reapply, does she need to reject her offers this year (before knowing what her results are)?

The UCAS website says that giving a firm acceptance to an offer is a contractual agreement (http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/offer...ngtoyouroffers - http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/resul...andoffers/faq6 ) . I guess it is self evident that, if you don't want to go to that uni any more, they are unlikely to force you. But I wondered if it is generally considered 'bad form' and to give you a black mark for future applications. Or is what I'm suggesting standard practice?
    I wouldn't say that it was standard practice, but it's certainly very doable. I had an insurance place at Royal Holloway, and when I didn't get the grades to meet my Cambridge offer, decided that I'd rather reapply to Cambridge than go there, so contacted UCAS and withdrew my application for the 2009 entry cycle (this was last August, or whenever it is that results come out). As for bad form, no, I don't think so. Better that you give your place up for someone else to take for clearing than go somewhere you don't really want to be and drop out. I didn't reapply to Royal Holloway, so I don't know whether they would have straight-out rejected me if I'd tried to gain another place, but at the end of the day, you have to make a decision that you're happy with, and if you think that another shot at Cambridge is worth it, go ahead. However - and please don't take this too personally - you have to be sure that Cambridge is your daughter's dream, not yours.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.