Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bb193)
    I guess someone else might have asked this already, but here goes....

My daughter applied for History at Fitz and didn't get an offer. She has offers for York (AAA) and Southampton (AAB). She is predicted A*AA (A in History). These seem like good offers - but she was very disappointed not to get an offer from Cambridge.

The question is, if she takes York as her firm, and Southampton as her insurance - and then does really well in her A levels, gets good results - say A*AA, A*A*A or whatever - can she just hand in her place and go round the UCAS cycle again, reapplying for Cambridge and others again?

Or if she wants to reapply, does she need to reject her offers this year (before knowing what her results are)?

The UCAS website says that giving a firm acceptance to an offer is a contractual agreement (http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/offer...ngtoyouroffers - http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/resul...andoffers/faq6 ) . I guess it is self evident that, if you don't want to go to that uni any more, they are unlikely to force you. But I wondered if it is generally considered 'bad form' and to give you a black mark for future applications. Or is what I'm suggesting standard practice?
    She can withdraw from UCAS completely after she gets her results and then enter the next year's application round. What however she can't do is to decline firm and go for insurance if she gets the results for both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by synvilla)
    She can withdraw from UCAS completely after she gets her results and then enter the next year's application round. What however she can't do is to decline firm and go for insurance if she gets the results for both.
    Thanks for that - it is very helpful - if she was going to reapply, that would be exactly what she would do. She is convinced that she couldn't do that - you don't know of any formal statement anywhere that says she is allowed to do that, do you? The 'contract' bit does sound a bit scary.

(Original post by charlottesometimes)
    However - and please don't take this too personally - you have to be sure that Cambridge is your daughter's dream, not yours.
    Yes - it is a good challenge - thanks.
    I went to Catz and my wife went to Fitz - she reapplied after a gap year and got in. I wouldn't have done that. So my wife is quite supportive of the idea of reapplying.
    To be honest, we had all moved on. Because of the early application, my daughter got immediate offers from York and Southampton. However, following the open days, she had Warwick in her mind as her number 2. The open day at York didn't seem to go very well, and she was not very happy about the accomodation that she saw. Last weekend, she got an 'unsuccessful' from Warwick . I've never seen her so upset - her top 2 saying no hit her hard.
    Over the last couple of days, she has had Biology & Geography exams. I anticipate that the adrenaline has been holding her together, but as the truth hits home, I imagine there will be lots of discussion and questions about what to do next. I just wanted to gather as much information as I could in case she asks for help. So I'm also asking on the Warwick forum about History applicants and on the York forum about accommodation. TSR is great
    But nevertheless, it is a good challenge and it is a swamp ready to suck me in. I just have to hang on to the fact that it is her life, her choice - all I'm trying to do is be there to help if she asks.

I'll try to ignore the nagging at the back of my mind - "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." Whatever you think of education at Cambridge, I promise you, parenthood is harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurie161)
    When I was at an open day they said they dont mind a few resits but not complete subjects, only to demonstrate knowledge in that area and if you need to pull your overall grade up.

Hope that helps
    I don't think that they count them, as such, but doing resits shows that you're committed to improving your grades, which can only be a good thing. It might also be worth looking into doing another A-level or something like that. If you do reapply, you have to try and kind of change your academic profile so you're not exactly the same person you were when you applied the first time round. Or that's what I've heard, anyway. Good luck!
    thank youuu im still caught in two minds about reapplication ill probably make a decision in march when my first set of results arrive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bb193)
    Last weekend, she got an 'unsuccessful' from Warwick . I've never seen her so upset - her top 2 saying no hit her hard.

Over the last couple of days, she has had Biology & Geography exams. I anticipate that the adrenaline has been holding her together, but as the truth hits home, I imagine there will be lots of discussion and questions about what to do next.

I just wanted to gather as much information as I could in case she asks for help. So I'm also asking on the Warwick forum about History applicants and on the York forum about accommodation. TSR is great .

Hi,

I'm sorry to here about your daughter, I think I'm in a similar situation to her. I have my 5th choice but was rejected from my 1st (Cambridge) 3rd and 4th and I only have (2nd) bath left which I'm shortlisted for, although it doesnt require a portfolio which was the weak point of my application its statistacally more unlikely than Cambridge.

Cambridge rejecting me was the most horrible feeling in the world, although I can see that I didnt deserve the place at all at the moment with the portfolio I submitted. It completely devestated me even though I'd accepted it after the interview. Luckily I don't have exams at the moment as I don't think I would have been able to do well. The thing thats held me together (slightly) is planning the next step. As soon as I here from bath I have a plan of action for a gap year and I already have foundation year places which makes me feel as though I have options.

I think looking at all the exciting things you can do really helped to show me its not so bad.

If she ever wants to talk to someone in a similar situation then just pm me, it would be nice to hear from someone in a similar situation and I've found the support on here really helps.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear that - good luck with Bath!

I spent a long time grinding my teeth about the idea of 'parental choice' regarding schools - it always seemed that if anyone had a choice about schools, it sure wasn't me! It is dispiriting to start getting the same feeling about Universities too. I have 2 other daughters too - so this is going to go on for years! I get a feeling that this year is a really bad year - the first year they have had too many people applying, have cut the funding for places - just far too many people chasing too few places. Maybe next year will be better?

My daughter tells me that there is uproar about the Biology exam she has just taken too - http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...y-exam-protest . She seemed to think it was actually OK as exams go. It never rains but it pours!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bb193)
    I'm sorry to hear that - good luck with Bath!

I spent a long time grinding my teeth about the idea of 'parental choice' regarding schools - it always seemed that if anyone had a choice about schools, it sure wasn't me! It is dispiriting to start getting the same feeling about Universities too. I have 2 other daughters too - so this is going to go on for years! I get a feeling that this year is a really bad year - the first year they have had too many people applying, have cut the funding for places - just far too many people chasing too few places. Maybe next year will be better?

My daughter tells me that there is uproar about the Biology exam she has just taken too - http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...y-exam-protest . She seemed to think it was actually OK as exams go. It never rains but it pours!
    Yeh I find it hard to comprehend how many people are chasing after a place. 450 people are chasing 40 places for my course, 4 of which will be taken up by mature students and a high proportion of which will have had a gap year and I know many other courses are similar. This is why things like apprentiships should be talked about more and promotoed to take some of the strain off universities and give students moe choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bb193)
    Thanks for that - it is very helpful - if she was going to reapply, that would be exactly what she would do. She is convinced that she couldn't do that - you don't know of any formal statement anywhere that says she is allowed to do that, do you? The 'contract' bit does sound a bit scary.
    I can't see one I'm afraid - yes, I was pretty frightened when it happened to me, because the UCAS wording looks very ominous! I promise though, both the university and UCAS were fine about it. As long as she acts swiftly, I can't imagine it being a problem. As you said, they can't -make- you go there.

Then again, I was thinking about this earlier, and I came to the conclusion that if she's fairly sure that she wants to reapply (and sorry about Warwick, it's gutting when that happens - I only got two offers last year!), it might be easier to withdraw now. If she's capable of getting good offers now, she's more than capable of getting them next year when she'll have more experience -and- her A-levels under her belt. Besides, gap years = awesome.

ReputationRep:
    I just found out I can do English Lit and Lang AS level in the next however many months before June. I'm so excited weirdly!! Its a great start to my gap year and another thing that will improve my academic profile. I didn't realise quite how much I missed doing English as part of my studies. I also got on the UCL summer school.

If I chose to do a gap year its going to be awesome

ReputationRep:
    I can't see one I'm afraid - yes, I was pretty frightened when it happened to me, because the UCAS wording looks very ominous! I promise though, both the university and UCAS were fine about it. As long as she acts swiftly, I can't imagine it being a problem. As you said, they can't -make- you go there.

Then again, I was thinking about this earlier, and I came to the conclusion that if she's fairly sure that she wants to reapply (and sorry about Warwick, it's gutting when that happens - I only got two offers last year!), it might be easier to withdraw now. If she's capable of getting good offers now, she's more than capable of getting them next year when she'll have more experience -and- her A-levels under her belt. Besides, gap years = awesome.
    Cool -thanks for trying and for the very encouraging advice.

The closest I can find is this - http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/nextsteps/advice
    'Other options
    If you haven't found the place you're looking for, or you've changed your mind about going to university or college this year, there are plenty of options that can help you improve your knowledge and learn new skills or just give you a well-deserved break.'

Which I guess is as close as you can get to a statement of the obvious - you can change your mind - they cannot force you to go. So, if you want to choose to go round the cycle again, you can - for whatever reason.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by bb193)
    Cool -thanks for trying and for the very encouraging advice.

The closest I can find is this - http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/nextsteps/advice
    'Other options
    If you haven't found the place you're looking for, or you've changed your mind about going to university or college this year, there are plenty of options that can help you improve your knowledge and learn new skills or just give you a well-deserved break.'

Which I guess is as close as you can get to a statement of the obvious - you can change your mind - they cannot force you to go. So, if you want to choose to go round the cycle again, you can - for whatever reason.
    It might seem obvious but if she is waiting on her results before deciding whether to reapply, then I think she should prepare for that scenario - get a good idea of what she will do with a year out, have a look at possible courses, things she can do to improve her application for that extra insurance (although nothing is guaranteed).

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend that all people out there who are thinking of reapplying definitely plan a good gap year for themselves on top of the reapplication. I reapplied this year after being pooled and rejected from King's for French and ab initio German, and went to Berlin for a two month language course in September, and then managed to find a job and stay until the interview at cambridge.

I've ended up now with an unconditional offer for post A level French and German despite not having an actual A level (I have a language certificate at B2.2 level on the CEFR, but the exam is way easier than an A level), so that's all good, but I've now been back in London for a month and still don't have a job, or any idea of what I'm going to be doing until October. I'm sure something will come up sometime soon, hopefully, but because my entire gap year was based around getting from no German at all to A level German within a few months, I didn't really have the time to think about the rest of the year, and am now terminally bored. so, definitely remember to plan that gap year.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I'm worried about is that I got a straight out rejection-not pooled. Although I'm not surprised as my portfolio was weak and everytime I think about my interview I want to crawl under a rock

:shy2:

Anyway, did anyone who has got a place this year after reapplying get a flat out rejection first time?

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I'm worried about is that I got a straight out rejection-not pooled. Although I'm not surprised as my portfolio was weak and everytime I think about my interview I want to crawl under a rock

:shy2:

Anyway, did anyone who has got a place this year after reapplying get a flat out rejection first time?
    This!! My interviews make me want to laugh now, I actaully do when I tell people about them! They were that bad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oaktrees)
    This!! My interviews make me want to laugh now, I actaully do when I tell people about them! They were that bad!
    Lmao, I've just given up on telling anyone about it! The thing is as soon as I showed the interviewers my portfolio I tihnk both them and me lost confidence :P not great.

Are you thinking of reapplying?

ReputationRep:
    I bet there are a lot of people in this thread who consider reapplying to Cambridge. I hope my experiences could prove helpful to some of you; it pertains particularly to internationals, but I believe some of it holds relevance to everyone who finds herself in this situation.

I applied for philosophy last autumn—hoping to transfer to linguistics after Part I—and was rejected. Philosophy does interest me, and I have acquired a particular fascination for logic after going through the preparation and application process, but it did not surprise nor disappoint me much to learn that I was rejected. Linguistics has always been my thing, and when I was notified that the University intended to introduce an entire degree, I quickly decided to give it another shot. I wrote a rough draft for my application in May and contacted my referee. Meanwhile I found myself moving from one city to another, with the personal turmoil that necessarily entails, becoming immersed in a general election and the work of a youth NGO, getting to know new people and generally coming to peace with who I am.

Consequently, whereas I had few or no audible objections to leaving everything behind and going to Cambridge as I wrote the personal statement in May, obtained my reference in August or submitted my application in October, I have since matured and, as it were, become someone else than the angsty young man who penned my excellent personal statement, even to the point that I—not having heard anything from the College by 20 January—felt a certain relief at the thought that I would not have to make a decision after all. The very next day, however, I received a bafflingly delayed offer letter which has cast me into deliberations that are far more difficult than one might think to begin with.

What am I trying to say?

The process of applying to the University of Cambridge is stressful regardless of results. Being rejected probably entails a certain amount of disappointment to anyone; it is reasonable to surmise that being ‘re-rejected’ would add to that initial disappointment. If she should choose to re-apply, a person of some 18 years of age will inadvertently go through a process of profound maturation—at least if she is fit to go to Cambridge!—from the point at which she submits her first application in October until she receives the second decision letter almost fifteen months later. I would not recommend anyone to go through this process again unless the following conditions apply:

– your chosen subject absolutely enthrals you and you know for a fact that Cambridge offers a program of education in your field which outperforms other institutions by far;

– you are quite certain that the University was mistaken in rejecting you the first time around or that you could reasonably be expected to perform much better on your next attempt.

These two points might seem obvious. However, I think there are a lot of people who do not take the time to realise that going to Cambridge is not the be-all and end-all of being young or getting an education. By the time you receive your second decision letter, you will have changed—perhaps a little bit, perhaps fundamentally. Do give some thought to the possibility that you might find yourself in a situation similar to mine and that your choice will not necessarily manifest itself lucidly.

In conclusion, do take notice that the admission rates are significantly higher for re-applicants. If you still think you should give it another go, I wish you the best of luck. There is no reason you shouldn't get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EWS)
    ....... that the admission rates are significantly higher for re-applicants. If you still think you should give it another go, I wish you the best of luck. There is no reason you shouldn't get in.

are there any stats backing this up anywhere please?

ReputationRep:
    It is a good question - I'd be interested in the answer to that.

There are lots of stats around for entry (eg http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...te/statistics/ or http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/camdata/). But I haven't been able to find anything about re-applicants. Gold star for anyone who finds that.

I guess that there is almost bound to be an increased entry rate. For a start, they are self selecting. The results would be in, and if they don't get at least A*AA, then they will almost certainly accept another Uni offer and not reapply to Cambridge. So reapplicants are almost all the very highest performers, with the candidates with the poorer results self excluding. In addition, there is certainty - the results are in. I would have thought such applications would be much more promising than the vagaries of predicted grades.

Although the message regarding the 'slash and burn' policy regarding university funding next year (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8491729.stm), with a reduction of at least 6,000 places even in cuddly old Labour plans ('we have 3 priorities, education, education and er..... um..... banks!'), suggests that anyone with a place this year should think pretty seriously before handing it in on a hope for next year, almost regardless of the grades they eventually get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bb193)
    It is a good question - I'd be interested in the answer to that.

There are lots of stats around for entry (eg http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...te/statistics/ or http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/camdata/). But I haven't been able to find anything about re-applicants. Gold star for anyone who finds that.

I guess that there is almost bound to be an increased entry rate. For a start, they are self selecting. The results would be in, and if they don't get at least A*AA, then they will almost certainly accept another Uni offer and not reapply to Cambridge. So reapplicants are almost all the very highest performers, with the candidates with the poorer results self excluding. In addition, there is certainty - the results are in. I would have thought such applications would be much more promising than the vagaries of predicted grades.

Although the message regarding the 'slash and burn' policy regarding university funding next year (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8491729.stm), with a reduction of at least 6,000 places even in cuddly old Labour plans ('we have 3 priorities, education, education and er..... um..... banks!'), suggests that anyone with a place this year should think pretty seriously before handing it in on a hope for next year, almost regardless of the grades they eventually get.
    Little extreme?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I agree, If you take a gap year and reapply you are a much stronger student and will almost definately get a place somewhere. Unless you just lounge around for year!

ReputationRep:
    Lmao, I've just given up on telling anyone about it! The thing is as soon as I showed the interviewers my portfolio I tihnk both them and me lost confidence :P not great.

Are you thinking of reapplying?
    Well for me, not getting into any Uni for Vetmed this year is a possibility, it is incredibly competitive and my application just isn't that strong this year. Kind of like your portfolio, I have to have a 'portfolio' of work experience, which tbh this year just isn't that good. So as a reapp I stand a much better chance of getting some interviews and subsequent bright and shiny unconditional offers. As to whether I reapply to Cambridge, I am undecided. I will wait until results day, and if I do well I might think about it. Until then I am just focusing on my A levels, music and work ex, and we'll see what happens!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.