Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Laurie161)
    im definitely going for it however hard it might be to work for it i know i would regret not giving it everything i have. I really want to do a ski instructor course and environmental volunteering course plus get a job, get loads of work experience, go travelling and do history a level and further maths as level so i think there will be plenty to do !
    haha this is sooooo ambitious! I don't think you'll have the time/money to do all that! (unless you have generous parents )
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by T-o dore)
    Hmm well archaeology is only 25% of first year, and then you don't do any more of it. Im like you, but I've found archaeology to be really interesting from a historical point of view.
    Yea, I'm going to do a bit of research into it.

What did you apply for everywhere else?

I don't think I will apply to PPS again tbh.

ReputationRep:
    haha this is sooooo ambitious! I don't think you'll have the time/money to do all that! (unless you have generous parents )
    ahah its better to be ambitious than to mope around which i have been doing:P although a 1 week course is £500 :O:O
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Yea, I'm going to do a bit of research into it.

What did you apply for everywhere else?

I don't think I will apply to PPS again tbh.
    Social Anthropology at LSE (AAB/ABB offer) - they also do a law with anthropology course. They are VERY good at anthropology, so a good backup if Oxbridge falls through.

Edinburgh - social anthropology - I haven't heard from them yet.

Durham - offer from Univ college for Social anthropology

And I withdrew from UCL anthropology because its far too biological for my taste

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who reapplied for Cambridge for History after being rejected the first time round - he's just graduated with a first.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    ahah its better to be ambitious than to mope around which i have been doing:P although a 1 week course is £500 :O:O
    Yeah, true, be ambitious, but don't be disappointed if you need to compromise (eg doing both Ski instruction AND volunteering might be a bit much).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Social Anthropology at LSE (AAB/ABB offer) - they also do a law with anthropology course. They are VERY good at anthropology, so a good backup if Oxbridge falls through.

Edinburgh - social anthropology - I haven't heard from them yet.

Durham - offer from Univ college for Social anthropology

And I withdrew from UCL anthropology because its far too biological for my taste
    I see, fair enough mate.

Congrats on your offers ^^

ReputationRep:
    I might reapply, depending on what feedback I get first though. Didn't get an interview this time so I think my application might be too flawed to waste another year trying. Best see what the feedback is first .

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't seek to advise anyone for, or against, reapplying - I think it's a decision you simply must come to individually, but I will share my own personal experience.

I had an utterly dreadful experience at Oxford last year (the tutors there admitted they had mixed me up with another candidate and asked me questions on his personal statement!) and simply wasn't willing for such a process to define my future. I was carted off for interview at a college that was all-male and monastic - neither factor appealed to me and when asked if I would take a place there, my answer was an unequivocal no. If the overall end to the process was to be negative I wanted to be rejected on my own abilities and not on an unprofessional set of interviews riddled with errors.

A year on I have an offer from Cambridge, along with an offer from another very exciting institution abroad. I'm glad that I have the time to make what is a difficult decision.

For me it was without doubt the right choice - not only in terms of outcome but also in terms of experience. I'm having an excellent gap year, during which I secured a political internship which is particularly interesting seeing as we are now in a General Election year.

The very best of luck to anyone who chooses to give it another go.

ReputationRep:
    I just got rejected from Cambridge for Architecture, I dont know why yet but I want to give it another go next year.

Is anyone thinking of doing the same for any subject or has anyone here done it and gotten in the second time around or been rejected?
    which college???

ReputationRep:
    i applied to sideney sussex but i would apply to a different college second time around. Why ?

ReputationRep:
    I would like to give it another go, but I am already on a gap year, and I'm too impatient to wait another whole year to go to university- I would feel horrible if I had two gap years only to get rejected from Cambridge twice, anyway. I'm quite angry at myself for not applying last year! :o: I'm still hoping for KCL though, which is quite prestigious enough for me lol.

Anyhow, I think there is such a thing as getting over-obsessed with prestige, and I don't want to fall into that trap. I don't see why I couldn't be just as successful with a first from another good university. In the end, I believe success comes down to a person's own ability, determination and intelligence, rather than where they went to university, and endless cases prove this to be true.

ReputationRep:
    My main problem is that I don't know what course to do. Rejected for PhysPhil from Oxford this year, which to be honest would be my perfect course, but I also really like the look of Architecture, Law, Maths, Engineering, PPE, maybe even Classics. Just don't know whether to re-apply, for the same or for another course. Or at Cambridge for a clean sheet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jannike)
    I would like to give it another go, but I am already on a gap year, and I'm too impatient to wait another whole year to go to university- I would feel horrible if I had two gap years only to get rejected from Cambridge twice, anyway.
    So did you apply then take a gap year and not apply this year? sorry im a little confused.

Yeh i agree about not getting obsessed with prestige but its the place for me

ReputationRep:
    So did you apply then take a gap year and not apply this year? sorry im a little confused.

Yeh i agree about not getting obsessed with prestige but its the place for me
    She is currently on a gap year and applied to Cambridge this year for the first time.

ReputationRep:
    ah i get it :P perhaps i should learn how to read!

arghhh i hate how this rejection if frustrating me so much

ReputationRep:
    I am tempted, I might apply to a less competitive college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Andrew_)
    I am tempted, I might apply to a less competitive college.
    Nooo man isn't the acceptance rate the same over all colleges anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I was rejected from Oxford this year but I'll almost definitely take a gap year and apply to Cambridge, I should have applied there this year tbf. The Oxbridge dream is just hard to give up :emo:

ReputationRep:
    i think from what ive heard is that everyone enjoys their gap year regardless and with really long courses it may be a good idea to have a break beforehand anyway.

I think that if i didnt try everything to get into Cambridge I would completely regret it. I also think about although 50 people got in for Architecture 450 didnt so its sooooo hard to get in first time especially as i completely messed up my interviews :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.