Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was rejected from Corpus this year and am considering reapplying, but am going to give it some time before deciding - I only started having thoughts about a gap year after my rejection.

A lot of people seemed to have applied to Cambridge after a rejection from Oxford or vice versa, is this encouraged? To be honest, if I reapplied I'd like to do it for the same course at the same college... is this sensible?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shomm)

A lot of people seemed to have applied to Cambridge after a rejection from Oxford or vice versa, is this encouraged? To be honest, if I reapplied I'd like to do it for the same course at the same college... is this sensible?

Thanks
    I would think same course yes, same college, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shomm)
    I was rejected from Corpus this year and am considering reapplying, but am going to give it some time before deciding - I only started having thoughts about a gap year after my rejection.

Thanks
    I changed college and course this year and got an offer. Can't be sure that it was the change of course or uni that did it as supposedly it is meant to be more difficult to get in to Cambridge than Oxford. However, last year I didn't look at any statistical acceptance information regarding courses or colleges. If it is really Oxbridge you want some courses and colleges are definitely better than others ie Anglo-Saxon, Norse & Celtic compared with Architecture.

I think it would be very unwise to do same college and same course after all you will be getting the same interviewers. It is impossible to know what an interviewer is looking for but if he didn't like your application this year in all probability he might be put off by the same thing next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippy12)
    I changed college and course this year and got an offer. Can't be sure that it was the change of course or uni that did it as supposedly it is meant to be more difficult to get in to Cambridge than Oxford. However, last year I didn't look at any statistical acceptance information regarding courses or colleges. If it is really Oxbridge you want some courses and colleges are definitely better than others ie Anglo-Saxon, Norse & Celtic compared with Architecture.

I think it would be very unwise to do same college and same course after all you will be getting the same interviewers. It is impossible to know what an interviewer is looking for but if he didn't like your application this year in all probability he might be put off by the same thing next year.
    Thanks. I'm going to wait for the feedback because it could be that there was one thing the interviewers thought I was specifically lacking and maybe if I improved that they would give me a place...? Whereas I could apply to a new college and the interviewers there could find something else they don't like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurie161)
    So did you apply then take a gap year and not apply this year? sorry im a little confused.

Yeh i agree about not getting obsessed with prestige but its the place for me
    I didn't apply the first year, but I applied this time round and didn't get in.

I know how you feel about it being the place for you, as I felt like that too, but unfortunately thousands of people think it's the place for them, and there just isn't room for us all. :o: I'm trying to focus on the other places I have applied to, and right now I think it would be pretty cool to get an offer from KCL, as living in London would be something completely new to me, and of course it's a great uni.

Try again, but don't let it be the centre of your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jannike)
    I know how you feel about it being the place for you, as I felt like that too, but unfortunately thousands of people think it's the place for them, and there just isn't room for us all. :o: I'm trying to focus on the other places I have applied to, and right now I think it would be pretty cool to get an offer from KCL, as living in London would be something completely new to me, and of course it's a great uni.

Try again, but don't let it be the centre of your life.
    Yeh definately, I just seem to have done something so wrong with my application as I have 3 rejections! Ahwell a year is a good time to improve my application.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh definitely, I just seem to have done something so wrong with my application as I have 3 rejections! Ahwell a year is a good time to improve my application.
    Believe me, you can have a brilliant application and still get lots of rejections- happens to lots of people. So many people are applying to university, along with 1 in 10 A level candidates getting at least 3 As, that it has all just become ridiculously competitive.

A gap year is a good opportunity to improve your application, and if you're not happy with the places you get this year, try again; if a similar thing happens a second time, however, its not because you're a bad applicant- it's because there are so many with similar achievements. It's a horrible game of chance really. I have 2 rejections and could possibly be getting 2 more. Hang in there! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jannike)
    Believe me, you can have a brilliant application and still get lots of rejections- happens to lots of people. So many people are applying to university, along with 1 in 10 A level candidates getting at least 3 As, that it has all just become ridiculously competitive.

A gap year is a good opportunity to improve your application, and if you're not happy with the places you get this year, try again; if a similar thing happens a second time, however, its not because you're a bad applicant- it's because there are so many with similar achievements. It's a horrible game of chance really. I have 2 rejections and could possibly be getting 2 more. Hang in there! :p:
    No way is it one in ten. (I'm expressing shock not disbelief, do you have the link to the stats?)

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I'd say is to be careful about why, exactly, you got rejected. The worst thing would be to waste 1 / 2 years trying again. In that time, you could be well into a good undergraduate degree and you could use the extra year to do a postgraduate degree at, say, Oxbridge, which is far less competitive if you have a good degree class.\

My rejection from Cambridge was helpful to me. The feedback was along the lines of 'you seem to be interested in music more than history'. And I guess I was, it's influenced everything I've done since

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    No way is it one in ten. (I'm expressing shock not disbelief, do you have the link to the stats?)
    I do not have a link but it crops up everywhere and its recognised as the most competitive course in cambridge, even more than medicine

(Original post by candytreeman)
    The only thing I'd say is to be careful about why, exactly, you got rejected. The worst thing would be to waste 1 / 2 years trying again. In that time, you could be well into a good undergraduate degree and you could use the extra year to do a postgraduate degree at, say, Oxbridge, which is far less competitive if you have a good degree class.\

My rejection from Cambridge was helpful to me. The feedback was along the lines of 'you seem to be interested in music more than history'. And I guess I was, it's influenced everything I've done since
    Im trying to find out exactly why i got rejected from various places and it seems like it might be my portfolio :/ I dont mind spending a year reapplying but its just not knowing how to improve yet.

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, I know people who got rejected twice in a role, then what? You potential blew at least one year, if not two. Oxbridge is a great institution, but once you get into uni. you realise there is a whole world out there, and that you gain a lot more in a year of education in whatever institution, rather than try and fit into societies mould. But by all means try if you have to, i dont even know if oxbridge frowns on repeating A levels, I though they do? If you plan to take a gap year anyway, then fair play. If your doing languages, its clearly a advantage (assuming you travel). Not so good if your doing science, where knowledge retention is important.
    I didnt apply to oxbridge btw.
    Oh and you can always try postgrad. although I appreciate that its very difficult to do so. Its just people get so hung up on oxbridge, i know people who will cry and cry and go nuts. Most people may have good offers from very decent uni. anyhow. If not, then you probably won't get into oxbridge anyway...
    feel free to argue, thats why we are here ^^

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Johnny Luk]Urgh, I know people who got rejected twice in a role, then what? You potential blew at least one year, if not two...

i dont even know if oxbridge frowns on repeating A levels, I though they do? QUOTE]

I don't think I would really see it as blowing a year as I would have done some amazing things, although I might only think this because I am very young in my year and would only be a couple of days older than the oldest in the year below.
    I feel like I just have to try everything to get in and if I can afford to take another year then I will.

Oxbridge do frown on retaking A-levels but I would want to take 1 or 2 new ones in a year just to show I hadnt sat around doing nothing.

I always knew I would give it 2 trys at Cambridge but its just so hard and frustrating

ReputationRep:
    I do not have a link but it crops up everywhere and its recognised as the most competitive course in cambridge, even more than medicine
    I meant that one in ten A level students gets 3As or better.

ReputationRep:
    In some ways I feel that I am good enough for Cambridge: I am intelligent and I work hard, and I can deal with a heavy workload. I've always been very interested in the social sciences and studying politics, psychology and sociology at Cambridge seemed perfect with what I'm interested in and what I want to do later in life. Politics has been an interest of mine since I was about 13, and it's been an active interest with reading, ECs etc ever since then and I'm currently running for MP in my home country. An interest for psychology developed when I was about 15, and it's also been an active interest of mine with me constantly volunteering for the psychology course at uni, studying it in sixth form etc. Sociology as a subject is however rather new for me, and it was only about 6 months ago that I started reading books in the field. It does however seem very interesting and it suits very well with who I am and what I like to learn about.

I already have some studies in politics, as I'm currently a visiting student at University of Warsaw for a year, where I study politics and international relations. I really love the subject and the amount of courses I do this year is almost equivalent to 2 academic years. I also study Polish here and now speak 4 languages.

I liked the look of PPS because it was so broad and I actually don't know which one of them I would like to focus on in year 2, as all of them seem really interesting and something that I want to study. I chose to not focus on politics in my application, as I want to study the course to develop further and learn different things than what I've done so far and I wanted to show that I like all three subjects.

Anyway, I felt in my interviews that I couldn't really explain properly what was so interesting about sociology, while talking about politics came very naturally for me. I can't live without politics.

People in my surrounding thinks that I would be perfect for Cambridge, as I combine the whole being intelligent&hardworking with being an absolute nerd for the social sciences. If I would however reapply, I don't know what to improve and if I should apply for the same course or another.. :dontknow:

Edit: Advice appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I also got a rejection from Cambridge for PPS and have been seriously considering for the past few days to take a year out and reapply. But, this thread has convinced me to just accept my offer from Durham and make the most of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shomm)
    I also got a rejection from Cambridge for PPS and have been seriously considering for the past few days to take a year out and reapply. But, this thread has convinced me to just accept my offer from Durham and make the most of it
    Which course at Durham did you apply to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by synvilla)
    Which course at Durham did you apply to?
    Straight Politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shomm)
    I think it's much too early to have come to a firm decision on your considerations - certainly not on the basis of reading this thread.

There are many ways in which you can craft a gap year (in particular with relation to your political interests) so that you will not regret your decision to go down the reapplication route even if you don't end up with a Cambridge place.

ReputationRep:
    when you ask for feedback, do they send a copy to your college/school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    I know, it's pretty depressing for people who have worked very hard for A grades to know that they are so common now. I can't remember exactly where I first saw the statistics, but this is the best I could find...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...te-students.do

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.