Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12685mrrr)
    when you ask for feedback, do they send a copy to your college/school?
    Feedback is sent to your referee. If your initial feedback lacks detail, your referee will need to make further enquiries on your behalf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jannike)
    I know, it's pretty depressing for people who have worked very hard for A grades to know that they are so common now. I can't remember exactly where I first saw the statistics, but this is the best I could find...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...te-students.do
    That also says that one in four A-level papers is marked grade A. That can't be right, especially as moderation happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    That also says that one in four A-level papers is marked grade A. That can't be right, especially as moderation happens.
    One in four A-level grades is an A. (Sources here, here and here.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    One in four A-level grades is an A. (Sources here, here and here.)
    You, are a machine. Thanks for the sources. I'm not happy though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurie161)
    I do not have a link but it crops up everywhere and its recognised as the most competitive course in cambridge, even more than medicine

Im trying to find out exactly why i got rejected from various places and it seems like it might be my portfolio :/ I dont mind spending a year reapplying but its just not knowing how to improve yet.
    Yeah of course. Get as much feedback as you can. One aspect of uni rejections that I think could be improved is feedback, half the time you have no idea why... but oxbridge seem quite good at giving feedback.

Once you have a bit of feedback from various places then you've got a great chance of improving enough to be accepted the next year

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I totally agree, feedback is often generic and useless as far as I can gather. Certainly my feedback from Glasgow was just the bog standard email they send to everyone who requests it, and contained nothing remotely specific to my application, so no help at all if I have to reapply next year!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'm going to reapply next year. Yeah, I'd like to study at Cambridge but definitely it's not worth wasting another year. Had I still been at school (and not on gap year) I would've probably reapplied though. I've heard of people who have applied for like 4 times and then got in! I'm not that persistent and my prerogative is to get a degree and start to work as soon as possible.

Good luck to everyone is going to reapply! It takes some guts to go through the whole process once again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shomm)
    Thanks. I'm going to wait for the feedback because it could be that there was one thing the interviewers thought I was specifically lacking and maybe if I improved that they would give me a place...? Whereas I could apply to a new college and the interviewers there could find something else they don't like.
    I reapplied to the same course, same college and got in. Yeah, you should wait for your feedback. Mine was pretty good (got rejected for not getting the grades, oops), so I thought I may as well reapply to a college I actually liked and where they thought I was an OK individual. I was interviewed by one of the same people, but we just talked about completely different things, so to be honest it's not as though it made a huge amount of difference.

ReputationRep:
    Anyhow, I think there is such a thing as getting over-obsessed with prestige, and I don't want to fall into that trap. I don't see why I couldn't be just as successful with a first from another good university. In the end, I believe success comes down to a person's own ability, determination and intelligence, rather than where they went to university, and endless cases prove this to be true.
    A first won't be necessary to succeed in life and thinking you need one may well stop you enjoying yourself (workwise as well as socially) at whatever other university you decide to go to.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by conkerina)
    A first won't be necessary to succeed in life and thinking you need one may well stop you enjoying yourself (workwise as well as socially) at whatever other university you decide to go to.
    Of course a First isn't NECESSARY! ...But it would definitely help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-o dore)
    Of course a First isn't NECESSARY! ...But it would definitely help.
    I didn't say it was; I was replying to Jannike who clearly implied that she thought that it was. What made you change from theology at Oxford to Arch and Anth at Cambridge?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I didn't say it was; I was replying to Jannike who clearly implied that she thought that it was. What made you change from theology at Oxford to Arch and Anth at Cambridge?
    I realized im interested in religion from an anth point of view, and I want to study other things apart from religion. I would feel so... claustrophobic, I guess, putting so much of my time studying the Christian bible had I done theology - I'm not interested in it, I think its all untrue, I would rather study lord of the rings. I love the philosophy thats incorporated in to modern theology courses, but theres not enough of it, and even that is a highly restricted field of philosophy.

Anth and Arch is great because its SO broad, you can study basically anything you want, from any angle (historical, biological, sociological). I just find it FAR more interesting! Last year I didn't give myself enogh time to find a degree that suited me, so I just applied for the A level I most enjoyed (R.S - nothing like theology ) and had a crack at Oxford. In the interview, needless to say, I just realized how ridiculous it was trying to go for something I didn't really care about. I hadn't even read one page of the bible. Yet half the course or more is devoted to it!

ReputationRep:
    I realized im interested in religion from an anth point of view, and I want to study other things apart from religion. I would feel so... claustrophobic, I guess, putting so much of my time studying the Christian bible had I done theology - I'm not interested in it, I think its all untrue, I would rather study lord of the rings. I love the philosophy thats incorporated in to modern theology courses, but theres not enough of it, and even that is a highly restricted field of philosophy.

Anth and Arch is great because its SO broad, you can study basically anything you want, from any angle (historical, biological, sociological). I just find it FAR more interesting! Last year I didn't give myself enogh time to find a degree that suited me, so I just applied for the A level I most enjoyed (R.S - nothing like theology ) and had a crack at Oxford. In the interview, needless to say, I just realized how ridiculous it was trying to go for something I didn't really care about. I hadn't even read one page of the bible. Yet half the course or more is devoted to it!
    That's pretty cogent!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    That's pretty cogent!
    Yeah, so I'm glad I got rejected, not only so I could rethink my course of degree, have a gap year traveling and doing things I love, and also because Cambridge is obviously better!! :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I know I don't technically need one, but if I'm going to pay thousands of pounds and spend three years of my life at uni, I would like to come out with the best I can possibly get.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I know I don't technically need one, but if I'm going to pay thousands of pounds and spend three years of my life at uni, I would like to come out with the best I can possibly get.
    Nothing wrong with putting in the effort if that's what you want to do; just saying a 2.1 is likely to get you anywhere a 1st can and unless a 1st is going to come naturally as a consequence of ability, it's not worth killing yourself for in an attempt to compensate for what you called 'prestige'.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, so I'm glad I got rejected, not only so I could rethink my course of degree, have a gap year traveling and doing things I love, and also because Cambridge is obviously better!! :mmm:
    Not convinced it is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurie161)
    mm its just so hard :/ this sounds horrible but i think i deserved to get in when i look at people who didnt even work or dont even really care that much but got in. It just seems like the harder you work the less you get
    Don't worry, I feel the exact same as you. I thought i really deserved a place since i work so hard, more than some of my friends who got in. I feel your pain, even though I got other good unis, it doesnt feel right.

I sent the college and email requesting my reasons for rejection. They havent replied yet, has anybody got feedback yet? I heard that they send it to ur referee, but they should tell me that they have sent it. Otherwise im just sitting here waiting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2710)
    Don't worry, I feel the exact same as you. I thought i really deserved a place since i work so hard, more than some of my friends who got in. I feel your pain, even though I got other good unis, it doesnt feel right.

I sent the college and email requesting my reasons for rejection. They havent replied yet, has anybody got feedback yet? I heard that they send it to ur referee, but they should tell me that they have sent it. Otherwise im just sitting here waiting...
    From other years I've heard they won't give out feedback until february (when they are done with the pools and everything else which is more important)

ReputationRep:
    Feedback is sent to the referee on 10th Feb. Post A-Level applicants can request feedback from their college, but I doubt it will be sent before then

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.