Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2710)
    Don't worry, I feel the exact same as you. I thought i really deserved a place since i work so hard, more than some of my friends who got in. I feel your pain, even though I got other good unis, it doesnt feel right.

I sent the college and email requesting my reasons for rejection. They havent replied yet, has anybody got feedback yet? I heard that they send it to ur referee, but they should tell me that they have sent it. Otherwise im just sitting here waiting...
    Its nice to know that other people feel the same about it. Over the last few days I've realised something though (partly because someone who got in showed me parts of their portfolio), I didn't deserve the place because I'm not ready artistically, intellectually or emotionally. I don't want to leave home yet and I would not feel confident jumping into a highly intensive 7 year design based course without the neccessary artistic skills wherever I end up. Although It's dissapointing to not get in perhaps Cambridge was just telling me that, I'm not ready - at the moment. However, I can always take a year out an reapply again. I've already applied to various foundation courses, work experience and other courses and I plan to get a job and volunteer abroad for a while.

Are you reapplying btw? Even if you don't you obviously have a lot to be proud of

In regards to feedback you have to get your referee to write to them requesting it and they will send it within a couple of weeks. I know it feels like the end of the world but I feel much better having a plan of action and there are many happy stories of people reapplying and getting in after an amazing gap year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurie161)
    Its nice to know that other people feel the same about it. Over the last few days I've realised something though (partly because someone who got in showed me parts of their portfolio), I didn't deserve the place because I'm not ready artistically, intellectually or emotionally. I don't want to leave home yet and I would not feel confident jumping into a highly intensive 7 year design based course without the neccessary artistic skills wherever I end up. Although It's dissapointing to not get in perhaps Cambridge was just telling me that, I'm not ready - at the moment. However, I can always take a year out an reapply again. I've already applied to various foundation courses, work experience and other courses and I plan to get a job and volunteer abroad for a while.

Are you reapplying btw? Even if you don't you obviously have a lot to be proud of

In regards to feedback you have to get your referee to write to them requesting it and they will send it within a couple of weeks. I know it feels like the end of the world but I feel much better having a plan of action and there are many happy stories of people reapplying and getting in after an amazing gap year
    I dont think Ill take a gap year, I dont want to face another rejection. It hurts so much, that I just dont want to, I really wanted it the first time round. Besides, one of the main attractions was that my friends got in, I wanted to be with them, so if I took a gap year and got in, Ill be a year younger, lol.

I think Ill start my career and just work hard, and become the greatest mathematician alive, and then one day Cambridge will look back and realise that they rejected me, and feel disgusted and sorry for themselves. Lol >__>

*sigh*

ReputationRep:
    I applied to do maths with a deferred entry to Churchill College but was sadly rejected.

I have an offer from UCL, and am waiting to hear from Imperial/LSE/Kings, but can't decide whether or not I should re-apply to Cambridge, seeing as i'm already doing a gap year, and i'm not sure about staying in London.

A school friend of mine applied to Queens college also to study Maths, with a deferred entry, and got an offer, so I'm considering reapplying there, because although i know i must sound terribly bitter, i do think i am more capable than him in maths and the course!

I thought the interview went well at Churchill, but felt like my deferred entry may have caused problems, as this was bought up at the very start of the interview.

I think my plan is, say yes to UCL, but then maybe do STEP II AND III in the summer, and if i get a 1,1 or even 1,2 (or obviously better), then i'll reapply to both Cambridge and UCL and hopefully get an unconditional offer from Cambridge (and UCL 2nd time round)?

Does this plan sound like a good idea, or should i move on and forget about Cambridge? Also can you be entered for Step II AND III without an offer?

Any helpful advice would be great, thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    On the one hand I'm really seriously thinking about it... On the other hand, guys, we JUST got rejected. I'm not sure I'll want to go through the whole process again at the end of the year. I think I'll try to forget about it (as much as possible) and just try to obtain good grades... Will see in october then Oh, question: does Cambridge mind if you start a course at another university (in the Netherlands, my own country) and then apply to them (for first year entry, obviously)?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure I don't think they would look too favourably on that, it would seem like you wouldnt have any dedication to or confidence in your decisions. I think they would appreciate more someone who has gone away and contemplated their options and worked like hell to improve.

Also they may think that you had messed the other univeristy around :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Math1729)

I have an offer from UCL, and am waiting to hear from Imperial/LSE/Kings, but can't decide whether or not I should re-apply to Cambridge, seeing as i'm already doing a gap year, and i'm not sure about staying in London.

Do you think if you accepted for example UCL offer would you reapply again? I mean I am not sure how does Cambridge look at it... I wanted to do it this way, I mean accept the offer of UCL, work hard, broaden my knowledge and then apply to Cambridge again. But somewhere I read ( or I might have understood it in a wrong way) that students already studying at another university are not welcomed.

Can I apply if I am already a student at another University, or have completed a first degree?

We usually do not accept applicants who are currently studying for an undergraduate degree elsewhere. Students who already hold an undergraduate degree may apply as affiliated students to study for a Cambridge B.A. (in a year less than regular undergraduates). Most of our affiliated students come from outside the UK. More information about this method of entry is available on the affiliated applications page or in the University Prospectus.

I do not understand it really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad_sunny)
    Do you think if you accepted for example UCL offer would you reapply again? I mean I am not sure how does Cambridge look at it... I wanted to do it this way, I mean accept the offer of UCL, work hard, broaden my knowledge and then apply to Cambridge again. But somewhere I read ( or I might have understood it in a wrong way) that students already studying at another university are not welcomed.

Can I apply if I am already a student at another University, or have completed a first degree?

We usually do not accept applicants who are currently studying for an undergraduate degree elsewhere. Students who already hold an undergraduate degree may apply as affiliated students to study for a Cambridge B.A. (in a year less than regular undergraduates). Most of our affiliated students come from outside the UK. More information about this method of entry is available on the affiliated applications page or in the University Prospectus.

I do not understand it really!
    You can not apply while studying at UCL. You can reapply as an affiliated student once you've finished, and do your second BA in only 2 years, but it's a lot more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    I meant, is it possible accept the UCL deferred entry offer now..then sit STEP...then in the summer, i get my STEP results/ A level results and if they are like 1,1 and A*AA then whilst on my gap year, tell UCL i've changed my mind about accepting the offer, and then i reapply through UCAS and apply to Cambridge AND UCL again (telling them i had a change of heart later on during my gap year) whilst on my year off...

Is this a plan which could make sense/work?

ReputationRep:
    I meant, is it possible accept the UCL deferred entry offer now..then sit STEP...then in the summer, i get my STEP results/ A level results and if they are like 1,1 and A*AA then whilst on my gap year, tell UCL i've changed my mind about accepting the offer, and then i reapply through UCAS and apply to Cambridge AND UCL again (telling them i had a change of heart later on during my gap year) whilst on my year off...

yeah you could. Do it.

ReputationRep:

Yes, but your chances of getting a new offer from UCL will decrease, I would think.

ReputationRep:

Actually, I'm not sure you could. Some universities insist that you take up a deferred offer - I'm pretty sure that I read, for example, that St Andrew's do. You might want to check that with UCL.

ReputationRep:
    At the website they make a clear statement about other UK universities... http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...tes.html#other
    Am I right to read into this that an international university would not be a problem? Anyone experienced in applying while being at university outside the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rvg)
    At the website they make a clear statement about other UK universities... http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...tes.html#other
    Am I right to read into this that an international university would not be a problem? Anyone experienced in applying while being at university outside the UK?
    A girl in the cambridge applicant thread studies at university of Antwerp and got pooled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anotheregostar)
    yeah you could. Do it.
    Congrats on your offer. Just out of interest did you reapply to cambridge or take a gap year?

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of it, but I love the college I originally applied to, so would want to try for it again and I'm not sure about whether its wise to reject the offers I have as they're good I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurie161)
    Congrats on your offer. Just out of interest did you reapply to cambridge or take a gap year?
    Thanks This is my first time applying

ReputationRep:
    wow and you got an unconditional offer :O you must be predicted A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rvg)
    It depends, I think. It is important to contact the college you wish to apply to early and ask them if they would consider you. I am currently studying at the University of Antwerp, but as it is for one year only (doing the second + third year of English in one year so won't get a degree - it's just for fun) they didn't mind it. I asked the admissions tutor during the open day and she said it was fine, but she did tell me to write her for formal permission.

Just wait until everything is settled for this application round, contact a few colleges and ask if they would consider you. Explain that you have your heart set on Cambridge and would only be studying in the Netherlands to prepare for the course. The reason why they don't normally accept people from other universities is that they might change their minds and stay where they are, so try to convince them that you wouldn't do that.

Good luck with your decision, en hou de moed erin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Claudia_)
    It depends, I think. It is important to contact the college you wish to apply to early and ask them if they would consider you. I am currently studying at the University of Antwerp, but as it is for one year only (doing the second + third year of English in one year so won't get a degree - it's just for fun) they didn't mind it. I asked the admissions tutor during the open day and she said it was fine, but she did tell me to write her for formal permission.

Just wait until everything is settled for this application round, contact a few colleges and ask if they would consider you. Explain that you have your heart set on Cambridge and would only be studying in the Netherlands to prepare for the course. The reason why they don't normally accept people from other universities is that they might change their minds and stay where they are, so try to convince them that you wouldn't do that.

Good luck with your decision, en hou de moed erin
    Yeah I think I'm in a kind of similar situation, although I'm younger than you are... Many thanks for your advice! If I'm going to reapply I'll definitely get in touch with some admissions tutors beforehand to ensure I will be considered. Maybe I'll just give up, I dunno yet...

Good luck on your pool interviews! I hope you'll get in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rvg)
    Yeah I think I'm in a kind of similar situation, although I'm younger than you are... Many thanks for your advice! If I'm going to reapply I'll definitely get in touch with some admissions tutors beforehand to ensure I will be considered. Maybe I'll just give up, I dunno yet...

Good luck on your pool interviews! I hope you'll get in!
    I wish I was younger (odd thing to say at 20) - I really think I'd reapply then. I'm sure you'll find quite a few colleges who would be willing to consider you.
    If I were you I'd probably go to a university in the Netherlands and reapply while studying there. That way you'll keep your mind busy and who knows - perhaps you'll like it so much that you don't even want to leave! I don't know how much you hate The Other Place, but Oxford does consider applicants from other universities so perhaps that's an option as well? Good luck with whatever you decide

And thank you, so do I!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.