Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Claudia_)
    I wish I was younger (odd thing to say at 20) - I really think I'd reapply then. I'm sure you'll find quite a few colleges who would be willing to consider you.
    If I were you I'd probably go to a university in the Netherlands and reapply while studying there. That way you'll keep your mind busy and who knows - perhaps you'll like it so much that you don't even want to leave! I don't know how much you hate The Other Place, but Oxford does consider applicants from other universities so perhaps that's an option as well? Good luck with whatever you decide

And thank you, so do I!
    Yeah I'm only turning 17 in may because I skipped a year in school, so I'd still be of "normal I'm-finishing-school-age" if I applied again... I'm almost certainly starting uni in the Netherlands in september and just will see what I'm going to do then. It depends on my exam grades as well :rolleyes: Oxford doesn't really offer ChemEng the way Cambridge does, so I don't really consider it actually.

Let me know if you receive an offer! I think you will: two colleges want you and you're pooled by Johns for English which means you must be a good candidate

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I'm allowed on this thread now I've been formally rejected but sorry mods! Move this to an appropriate thread if I've posted wrongly.

Rejection seriously bites, and man I never thought anything could feel this bad. So after hiding under my bed and burying my Cambridge dream under a floorboard, I'm trying to figure out the next step.

I'm stuck between UCL and Durham, although a tiny tiny tiny part of me is thinking maybe I should just resit my Math IB paper to get a 7 and try again next year.

What's everyone's plans for the future? Anyone thinking of reapplying or is anyone going to Durham or somewhere else?

Come join in and share the sorrow. (:

ReputationRep:
    :emo:

ReputationRep:
    Im hoping for lancaster now i think!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuddlebuggy)
    I'm not sure I'm allowed on this thread now I've been formally rejected but sorry mods! Move this to an appropriate thread if I've posted wrongly.

Rejection seriously bites, and man I never thought anything could feel this bad. So after hiding under my bed and burying my Cambridge dream under a floorboard, I'm trying to figure out the next step.

I'm stuck between UCL and Durham, although a tiny tiny tiny part of me is thinking maybe I should just resit my Math IB paper to get a 7 and try again next year.

What's everyone's plans for the future? Anyone thinking of reapplying or is anyone going to Durham or somewhere else?

Come join in and share the sorrow. (:
    Don't reapply! Your offers are unconditional, which means you're on a gap year right? It seems silly to take a whole other year out just for the possibility of Cambridge again. Go to UCL instead, you'll forget about Cambridge within days. Remember that if you do reapply, there's no guarantee you'll get in or get those offers back. It's time to move on! Well done on your other offers btw, I know plenty of people who got into Oxford or Cambridge but were rejected by UCL.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't been rejected yet, though am expecting to drown soon. Hopefully get into Bristol and go there, if not, Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattyjonesuk)
    Im hoping for lancaster now i think!
    Good luck! And congratulations! I heard Essex is lovely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RaspberryJelly)
    Don't reapply! Your offers are unconditional, which means you're on a gap year right? It seems silly to take a whole other year out just for the possibility of Cambridge again. Go to UCL instead, you'll forget about Cambridge within days. Remember that if you do reapply, there's no guarantee you'll get in or get those offers back. It's time to move on! Well done on your other offers btw, I know plenty of people who got into Oxford or Cambridge but were rejected by UCL.
    Haha thanks! No, I don't think I'll be reapplying, it's just that when the rejection hits you so hard and sudden you tend to get wonky ideas. Are you in UCL now? What's the dish? It seems really really wonderful but I was a bit worried about the lack of community feel...?

You're right. I figured during term break I can always do a summer program at Cambridge so its not completely over.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! And congratulations! I heard Essex is lovely.
    Lancaster isn't in Essex :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    You can also apply to do your masters or phd at Cambridge, I think (not sure on the masters). If you still really want to do something at Cambridge, that's something to look into when the time approaches.

What are people's opinions on Bath vs Warwick for Engineering?

ReputationRep:
    York for English
    After 3 rejections... :|

ReputationRep:
    Durham or Warwick methinks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formula 1)
    Lancaster isn't in Exter :lolwut:
    Haha I meant the University of Exeter. I don't know anyone studying at Lancaster but I'm sure it's equally nice!

(okay, Cambridge has obviously screwed with my brain. *headdesk*)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicmuffin15)
    Well don't give up hope yet, you're pooled! One of the lucky ones!

ReputationRep:
    Lovely. Have you gone to see either?

ReputationRep:
    Lovely. Have you gone to see either?
    Noo not yet, was kind of waiting to see how Cambridge panned out before making other plans :p: How about you? I see you're in quite a similar position!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can go far wrong Durham, it is the next best thing after Cambridge (or the other place), if you're after that sort of thing. I'm currently at Cambridge doing my postgrad (was rejected for undergrad though), and I went to Durham for my undergraduate, and had a great time. You will get a similar experience, formals, going on bar crawls in your gown afterwards, college sports teams, rowing, they're both smallish scenic places, both fairly traditional. London is a much bigger place, and while I did apply to UCL for postgrad too, as it is one of the best universities in the country, I am glad that I am somewhere smaller where everything is within walking or cycling distance, and quieter.
    Most of the poeple I know at Durham had a great time, and a large percentage of them, maybe over half, had been rejected from either Cambridge, or Oxford. If you haven't allready looked round each uni, then that might help you make your mind up.

ReputationRep:
    Noo not yet, was kind of waiting to see how Cambridge panned out before making other plans :p: How about you? I see you're in quite a similar position!
    Haha I just booked my slots for the March open days. I'm pretty excited about it now tbh, maybe we'll even bump into each other at open day. What are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenopus)
    I don't think you can go far wrong Durham, it is the next best thing after Cambridge (or the other place), if you're after that sort of thing. I'm currently at Cambridge doing my postgrad (was rejected for undergrad though), and I went to Durham for my undergraduate, and had a great time. You will get a similar experience, formals, going on bar crawls in your gown afterwards, college sports teams, rowing, they're both smallish scenic places, both fairly traditional. London is a much bigger place, and while I did apply to UCL for postgrad too, as it is one of the best universities in the country, I am glad that I am somewhere smaller where everything is within walking or cycling distance, and quieter.
    Most of the poeple I know at Durham had a great time, and a large percentage of them, maybe over half, had been rejected from either Cambridge, or Oxford. If you haven't allready looked round each uni, then that might help you make your mind up.
    Haha thank you! I was sort of mostly leaning to Durham anyway because like you said its pretty similar to Cambridge. I'm glad to hear that you had an amazing time there, and the smallish community sounds perfect! This post alone might have just sealed my decision to go to Durham. That being said, I'm probably going to wait and have a look at the Open days before committing concretely to any course. What are you studying atm?

ReputationRep:
    Unless they specifically specified that it was not having a 7 in Maths then don't reapply, as it's so competitive to get into Cambridge just going up a grade probably won't help. They look for more than just academic results. Just move on, you'll be happy wherever you go and Cambridge really isn't all that.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.