Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuddlebuggy)
    Haha thank you! I was sort of mostly leaning to Durham anyway because like you said its pretty similar to Cambridge. I'm glad to hear that you had an amazing time there, and the smallish community sounds perfect! This post alone might have just sealed my decision to go to Durham. That being said, I'm probably going to wait and have a look at the Open days before committing concretely to any course. What are you studying atm?
    I'm currently studying for a PhD, in biology. If you do go to Durham, then how similar you find it to Cambridge will depend largely on your College. The older colleges, which are down the bailey, are more traditional in their feel, having formals more regularly, and being more traditional in general. If you went to one of the hill colleges then it would not be as similar, unless you were comparing it to one of the newer colleges at Cambridge. Either way, it is still nice to have colleges, and people generally like their own college, whichever they go to.

ReputationRep:
    Haha I just booked my slots for the March open days. I'm pretty excited about it now tbh, maybe we'll even bump into each other at open day. What are you applying for?
    Samee I can't wait, though Durham is a bit of a mission from Kent! Yeah we might do, I'm not sure how college-based it is though, I'm doing Philosophy how about you?

ReputationRep:
    I might reapply, if not Bath or more likely Southampton for me. I'll wait for Churchill to send us some feedback and go from there I think.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Re-apply (although not defo for Cam)

Or go to exeter/warwick.

see how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    I was disappointed after my rejection, but I only visited Cambridge after I'd applied and it didn't feel completely right to me anyway. This isn't a "I didn't want to go there anyway" post, it's more like... if I'd have got an offer from Cambridge and say, Edinburgh or Newcastle as well, I'd genuinely have been stuck as to which one to choose. Plus... I'm applying for medicine, so any place is valuable I won't reapply or anything crazy like that (crazy to me anyway) if I get an offer this year. If I have to reapply to medicine again, I don't think I'll be applying to either Cambridge or Oxford again.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Re-apply (although not defo for Cam)

Or go to exeter/warwick.

see how it goes.
    hey paddy!!!!!!!! feels so nice to see your post....hows evrything??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicmuffin15)
    Samee I can't wait, though Durham is a bit of a mission from Kent! Yeah we might do, I'm not sure how college-based it is though, I'm doing Philosophy how about you?
    Haha well you'll just have to wait to hear from Cambridge. The trip might not even be necessary. :p: History applicant.

ReputationRep:
    Not reapplying. Going to Southampton. Almost definitely, as the offer's so low. Very pleased with this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitch92uK)
    I might reapply, if not Bath or more likely Southampton for me. I'll wait for Churchill to send us some feedback and go from there I think.
    Does Cambridge give out feedback? (: *chants*I will not reapply next year. I will not reapply....

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I'm allowed on this thread now I've been formally rejected but sorry mods! Move this to an appropriate thread if I've posted wrongly.

Rejection seriously bites, and man I never thought anything could feel this bad. So after hiding under my bed and burying my Cambridge dream under a floorboard, I'm trying to figure out the next step.

I'm stuck between UCL and Durham, although a tiny tiny tiny part of me is thinking maybe I should just resit my Math IB paper to get a 7 and try again next year.

What's everyone's plans for the future? Anyone thinking of reapplying or is anyone going to Durham or somewhere else?

Come join in and share the sorrow. (:
    The rejection is undoubtedly disapointing, but it certainly isn't worth getting too down about - if you are good enough, it will show through at any University.

I'm hoping for St Andrews, but certainly not taking anything for granted.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to try for St Andrews and probably also going to update my application (Track) and apply for Edinburgh (Chemistry with Materials Chemistry) and perhaps another uni as well.. probably another Scottish one. Not having to pay fees sounds great. :P
    I'm hoping most for something a bit... "rural-ish". Not like a London uni or a big city uni (not necessarily a big uni, but a big city, y'know?), but something like St Andrews (or Cambridge).

I'm not going to reapply.

(Original post by Einstein's apprentice)
    The rejection is undoubtedly disapointing, but it certainly isn't worth getting too down about - if you are good enough, it will show through at any University.

I'm hoping for St Andrews, but certainly not taking anything for granted.
    Hey there. :awesome:

My referee/maths teacher said that too. He was 'really pissed' that I didn't get an offer.. I guess he really thought I deserved one. D:
    You could even argue that you'll stand out a bit more if you perform really well at another uni.

Also not taking it for granted, which is why I'm going to apply for some other unis still. I'm just hoping my PS/reference will be relevant enough and won't be looked at too strangely.. :\ I read that St Andrews puts a lot of emphasis on the PS.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i really really wanted to go to cambridge...was very unhappy when i was rejected. guess i will go to notts now.

i will reapply for masters/phd and hopefully get in

ReputationRep:
    Does Cambridge give out feedback? (: *chants*I will not reapply next year. I will not reapply....
    Yeah they can do if you request it. Fire an email off to the head of admissions from your college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenopus)
    I'm currently studying for a PhD, in biology. If you do go to Durham, then how similar you find it to Cambridge will depend largely on your College. The older colleges, which are down the bailey, are more traditional in their feel, having formals more regularly, and being more traditional in general. If you went to one of the hill colleges then it would not be as similar, unless you were comparing it to one of the newer colleges at Cambridge. Either way, it is still nice to have colleges, and people generally like their own college, whichever they go to.
    (: That's good to hear. Truth be told, I don't think I ever really expected to get into Cambridge, so before the drama I was quite set on Durham. And it seems like I've only heard good things from Durham alumni so far so I suppose Cambridge can wait.

I was accepted into University college, looking forward to all the gowns and dining hall and formals. What college were you in? A more traditional one or?

ReputationRep:
    next step: see if i could into medicine, if not then gap year for me.

im just keep telling myself that Cambridge isn't the only best place to study...it seems to work for a bit...then i start to think about Sidney, and all the awful thoughts of getting rejected comes back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitch92uK)
    Yeah they can do if you request it. Fire an email off to the head of admissions from your college.
    Thanks! Will be doing that. I may have heard from the wrong source or something but I thought you had to have your school request for it..? or can we definitely request for it on our own?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazytomato)
    next step: see if i could into medicine, if not then gap year for me.

im just keep telling myself that Cambridge isn't the only best place to study...it seems to work for a bit...then i start to think about Sidney, and all the awful thoughts of getting rejected comes back
    I know what you mean. I think one of the reasons I'm so sore is that Gonville and Caius had to have the prettiest photos of campus I have ever ever ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Will be doing that. I may have heard from the wrong source or something but I thought you had to have your school request for it..? or can we definitely request for it on our own?
    I requested mine and had a response saying it would be passed on to whoever deals with it. But they will be sending it to my referee ... not me :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phen)
    I'm going to try for St Andrews and probably also going to update my application (Track) and apply for Edinburgh (Chemistry with Materials Chemistry) and perhaps another uni as well.. probably another Scottish one. Not having to pay fees sounds great. :P
    I'm hoping most for something a bit... "rural-ish". Not like a London uni or a big city uni (not necessarily a big uni, but a big city, y'know?), but something like St Andrews (or Cambridge).

I'm not going to reapply.

Hey there. :awesome:

My referee/maths teacher said that too. He was 'really pissed' that I didn't get an offer.. I guess he really thought I deserved one. D:
    You could even argue that you'll stand out a bit more if you perform really well at another uni.

Also not taking it for granted, which is why I'm going to apply for some other unis still. I'm just hoping my PS/reference will be relevant enough and won't be looked at too strangely.. :\ I read that St Andrews puts a lot of emphasis on the PS.
    Indeed, the absence of fees in Scotland is great :yes:

Edinburgh is good as well (the open day didn't really grab me as much as St Andrews though!).

ReputationRep:
    I think that I will go to Edinburgh University, as they gave me an unconditional offer in November last year (they were the first I heard back from). I haven't heard back from Durham yet; but although its a great Uni, I don't see the point in paying tuition fees and having to meet an offer, when Edinburgh is offering too take me under its wing without either of those things.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.