Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitch92uK)
    I requested mine and had a response saying it would be passed on to whoever deals with it. But they will be sending it to my referee ... not me :confused:
    Haha thanks for the heads up! Will be bugging my referee for that report.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I requested mine and had a response saying it would be passed on to whoever deals with it. But they will be sending it to my referee ... not me
    any idea how long it takes for them to reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einstein's apprentice)
    The rejection is undoubtedly disapointing, but it certainly isn't worth getting too down about - if you are good enough, it will show through at any University.

I'm hoping for St Andrews, but certainly not taking anything for granted.
    Haha I certainly hope so. It's nice to hear what everyone's planning on doing - with some encouragement from the thread I've been considering Durham more seriously (they even host exchanges with Uni of California big plus!) which has definitely made the Cambridge rejection a whole lot less important than it seemed 1 hour ago.

Good luck for St Andrews! Where else and what did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuddlebuggy)
    Haha I certainly hope so. It's nice to hear what everyone's planning on doing - with some encouragement from the thread I've been considering Durham more seriously (they even host exchanges with Uni of California big plus!) which has definitely made the Cambridge rejection a whole lot less important than it seemed 1 hour ago.

Uni of California? :rolleyes: Is that for all subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phen)
    I'm going to try for St Andrews and probably also going to update my application (Track) and apply for Edinburgh (Chemistry with Materials Chemistry) and perhaps another uni as well.. probably another Scottish one. Not having to pay fees sounds great. :P
    I'm hoping most for something a bit... "rural-ish". Not like a London uni or a big city uni (not necessarily a big uni, but a big city, y'know?), but something like St Andrews (or Cambridge).

I'm not going to reapply.

Hey there. :awesome:

My referee/maths teacher said that too. He was 'really pissed' that I didn't get an offer.. I guess he really thought I deserved one. D:
    You could even argue that you'll stand out a bit more if you perform really well at another uni.

Also not taking it for granted, which is why I'm going to apply for some other unis still. I'm just hoping my PS/reference will be relevant enough and won't be looked at too strangely.. :\ I read that St Andrews puts a lot of emphasis on the PS.
    This is sort of my problem too: my PS is focussed on the Cambridge course so I can't really add other choices to it now and I honestly wouldn't know which uni's to pick. So I'm definitely not updating my application... But if I'm going to reapply then I'll probably apply to five universities.

I'm thinking about reapplying while studying at university in my own country. I'll definitely start a course here and then I'll just see if I still want to go to the UK & what the options of going are (eg: is Cambridge considering me because I'm already in uni, etc). If I don't REALLY want it very much anymore, I'm not going to reapply. If I do want it, it depends on the feedback I will receive and the grades I'm getting in my final examinations. If those are fairly positive and I still really want to go, I might reapply.

Otherwise I'll do my degree in the Netherlands and maybe take an opportunity to study abroad during my course (Oxbridge is not an option in this case) or I might apply for a Masters degree somewhere in the world (Oxbridge might be considered in this case :P).

Wow, kind of a long post. Well, that's how I feel right now. Three days post-rejection, so still quite shaky...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuddlebuggy)

If you are interested in California, St Andrews also have links there

Thank you I've got unconditionals for Glasgow and Edinburgh for Astrophysics, but really hoping for St Andrews!

Good luck for Durham! It looks like a really good uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kosy91)
    any idea how long it takes for them to reply
    No mate I'll give em a week or two then I'll email again. I imagine they're still sorting stuff from the pool.

ReputationRep:
    I just got rejected from Cambridge for History after having to wait a cruel additional week due to pooling system!

Im in the 'sad deflated' mood and am seriously considering taking a year out and re-applying next year as i only have one other offer.

Does anyone have experience of applying for Cambridge again? would they recommend it if its where i really want to go?!

Feedback appreciated =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rvg)
    This is sort of my problem too: my PS is focussed on the Cambridge course so I can't really add other choices to it now and I honestly wouldn't know which uni's to pick. So I'm definitely not updating my application... But if I'm going to reapply then I'll probably apply to five universities.

I'm thinking about reapplying while studying at university in my own country. I'll definitely start a course here and then I'll just see if I still want to go to the UK & what the options of going are (eg: is Cambridge considering me because I'm already in uni, etc). If I don't REALLY want it very much anymore, I'm not going to reapply. If I do want it, it depends on the feedback I will receive and the grades I'm getting in my final examinations. If those are fairly positive and I still really want to go, I might reapply.

Otherwise I'll do my degree in the Netherlands and maybe take an opportunity to study abroad during my course (Oxbridge is not an option in this case) or I might apply for a Masters degree somewhere in the world (Oxbridge might be considered in this case :P).

Wow, kind of a long post. Well, that's how I feel right now. Three days post-rejection, so still quite shaky...
    Excusez moi, but may I ask what do you guys mean by "updating" your UCAS applications? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoshua)
    Excusez moi, but may I ask what do you guys mean by "updating" your UCAS applications? :confused:
    I assume they didn't use up all 5 choices when they applied before the October 15th deadline so they can still apply to more courses/unis until their total of 5 is reached (or 2) until tomorrow midnight.

ReputationRep:
    In my case, I only applied to Cambridge in my UCAS applcation (I'm international and therefore my other university choices were not made through UCAS). Phen is as far as I know in a similar situation. Still, after sending of your application (to Cambridge in my case), you can update it until January 15 (tomorrow :P) with 4 other university choices. That's it

ReputationRep:
    I assume they didn't use up all 5 choices when they applied before the October 15th deadline so they can still apply to more courses/unis until their total of 5 is reached (or 2) until tomorrow midnight.
    Ahhhh right But if you used up all five choices I'm guessing you couldn't drop one at this stage and change it? lol I am regretting applying too too many Scottish Unis. Apart from Edinburgh - which I love - I've realized I'm not too keen on some of them.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh right But if you used up all five choices I'm guessing you couldn't drop one at this stage and change it? lol I am regretting applying too too many Scottish Unis. Apart from Edinburgh - which I love - I've realized I'm not too keen on some of them.
    Yeah you're right you can only do it if you have choices remaining.

ReputationRep:
    So I'm against all the oxbridge rejections? Wonderful.

But game on as far as I'm concerned. If it wasn't for GCSEs that were below oxbridge standard I to may of been a reject. :p: But being predicted 4 A's at a2 must help.

I may see some of you in Warwick next month for interviews. And possibly Durham when they decide to start giving out offers.

ReputationRep:
    UCL's brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    Plan to get on with my life and make the most of university, wherever I end up going. Grades permitting, that'll be UCL. I've never even considered reapplying, don't think it's worth the hassle and effort when you could already be going to - probably the case with most Cambridge rejects - another excellent uni.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No mate I'll give em a week or two then I'll email again. I imagine they're still sorting stuff from the pool.
    ahh...i guess i will do that too...thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully get an A* in Core 4 Maths tomorrow and go to Imperial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xconfetti)
    I was disappointed after my rejection, but I only visited Cambridge after I'd applied and it didn't feel completely right to me anyway. This isn't a "I didn't want to go there anyway" post, it's more like... if I'd have got an offer from Cambridge and say, Edinburgh or Newcastle as well, I'd genuinely have been stuck as to which one to choose. Plus... I'm applying for medicine, so any place is valuable I won't reapply or anything crazy like that (crazy to me anyway) if I get an offer this year. If I have to reapply to medicine again, I don't think I'll be applying to either Cambridge or Oxford again.
    I'm doing the IB too - same 44 points predicted....it sucks that Cambridge for you and Oxford for me rejected us...i mean 44 POINTS!!!
    But what's more weird is how even Manchester rejected you?!
    Sometimes unis don't really make much sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyborg)
    Hopefully get an A* in Core 4 Maths tomorrow and go to Imperial
    goodluck, hope you do.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.