Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Durham and UCL are both awesome universities and I think you'd be really happy at either. I am MOST jealous about the unconditional UCL offer! I've got an interview there next week and I really hope I get in

ReputationRep:
    I got an ABB offer from UCL in November so I think I'll end up there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonlight_freakout)
    I'm doing the IB too - same 44 points predicted....it sucks that Cambridge for you and Oxford for me rejected us...i mean 44 POINTS!!!
    But what's more weird is how even Manchester rejected you?!
    Sometimes unis don't really make much sense
    I got rejected from Cambridge because of the BMAT, and the college I applied to doesn't look at your predicted grades unless you're doing A-levels

I passed the academic + extra curricular parts of the Manchester selection process but didn't qualify for interview b/c of my UKCAT score according to my feedback.. :/

I do know what you mean though. One of my friends is amazing in every way, predicted 42 or 43 or something and she's got 3 rejections. It's a crazy world.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't even been rejected yet, but I've already given up hope..
    I'm probably going to Bristol, if I meet my offer. If not, then I have no idea what to do. I really really regret not applying to Durham and St Andrews, I think I'd prefer a smaller place that's more Cambridge-like and traditional, as I really loved Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuddlebuggy)
    looking forward to all the gowns and dining hall and formals
    They scare me. Went to a bailey ball once (don't ask why) and it was a privilege to be in a room with so many well dressed tossers :rolleyes: . Did like the gowns / suits though :p:

To everyone in this thread thinking of waiting / reapplying... pleaaase think it through. I know people who have done that and really regretted it. Nearly any uni experience will be just as good (different, but good) and you can excel and be rewarded for your achievements exactly the same. Wasting a year isn't really worth it when you could use the year doing a postgrad at Oxbridge if you were that bothered. That's what I'd have done if I'd decided to continue with a traditional subject.

Rejections can be a great thing!

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone who has reapplied or knows people who have? I really want to give it one more go :/ it depends on getting an offer from bath and even if i did i would have to seriously think about it.

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably go to Durham (or maybe Warwick).

I really got messed around though this year, I got rejected initially - but on Monday they admitted they'd made a mistake and pooled me! It's all very confusing but I feel like it all just went wrong this year. So I sort of want to do it again, but properly this time. Sort of.

That said, I only have vague ideas about what I'd do for a gap year...

ReputationRep:
    Wow snap OP, we're in a very similar boat! I applied for History too, and am expecting a rejection any day now having been pooled and heard absolutely nothing. Well done on your Durham offer! I'm still waiting to hear from them (as well as the three other universities I've applied too...!) so in answer to your question, I'm really not sure yet, it'll depend on the state of affairs come like March. I love all four of my other choices though, so if I get any offers there's no way I'll be reapplying. I adore Durham, though. When did you get your offer, OP? And can I be really cheeky and ask what your grades are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoshua)
    Uni of California? :rolleyes: Is that for all subjects?
    Haven't gone through all the details yet, but.... *hopeful* :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einstein's apprentice)
    If you are interested in California, St Andrews also have links there

Thank you I've got unconditionals for Glasgow and Edinburgh for Astrophysics, but really hoping for St Andrews!

Good luck for Durham! It looks like a really good uni.
    Haha oh boy, I heard good things about St Andrews after I applied for all 5 of my schools. Argh! Can I delete LSE and choose all over again since they haven't replied yet? California! Who can resist? And good luck for St andrews!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jfranny)
    UCL's brilliant.
    Care to elaborate? I'm certainly looking to go but haven't heard much from anyone there.

ReputationRep:
    Haha oh boy, I heard good things about St Andrews after I applied for all 5 of my schools. Argh! Can I delete LSE and choose all over again since they haven't replied yet? California! Who can resist? And good luck for St andrews!
    That's what I wish I could do - delete 1 and change it - mwahh!!! (He cries like a big baby)...nah, I'm happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chux)
    Durham and UCL are both awesome universities and I think you'd be really happy at either. I am MOST jealous about the unconditional UCL offer! I've got an interview there next week and I really hope I get in
    Haha thank you! But I think I should be the one saying that considering you have a Cambridge offer. Congratulations and good luck with UCL! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candytreeman)
    They scare me. Went to a bailey ball once (don't ask why) and it was a privilege to be in a room with so many well dressed tossers :rolleyes: . Did like the gowns / suits though :p:

To everyone in this thread thinking of waiting / reapplying... pleaaase think it through. I know people who have done that and really regretted it. Nearly any uni experience will be just as good (different, but good) and you can excel and be rewarded for your achievements exactly the same. Wasting a year isn't really worth it when you could use the year doing a postgrad at Oxbridge if you were that bothered. That's what I'd have done if I'd decided to continue with a traditional subject.

Rejections can be a great thing!
    Might just be the reason I'm going. Playing dress up has such attraction for girls.

ReputationRep:
    durham, baby if they ever get back to meeeee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Fleur_)
    Wow snap OP, we're in a very similar boat! I applied for History too, and am expecting a rejection any day now having been pooled and heard absolutely nothing. Well done on your Durham offer! I'm still waiting to hear from them (as well as the three other universities I've applied too...!) so in answer to your question, I'm really not sure yet, it'll depend on the state of affairs come like March. I love all four of my other choices though, so if I get any offers there's no way I'll be reapplying. I adore Durham, though. When did you get your offer, OP? And can I be really cheeky and ask what your grades are?
    Haha nice to see some Historians on this thread, but god, you guys are making me so jealous since most of you are pooled. :p: Yes, loads of time before March, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. The waiting's always the hardest!

I got my offer pretty early on, it was my first offer I think - either in Mid Oct or Nov. Haha, well the grades are nothing to brag about, and most certainly since I'm the OP of this rejectee thread. 41 points at IB with a 7,6,6 at HL. The 7 obviously being history. :p: Wish i studied a little harder with the other two though

ReputationRep:
    ps, my cousin got in cambridge n hated it so left and went to bristol the following year.
    .. so im just telling myself id have hated it. tbf i dont think id have been able to cope with the work load, so swing n roundabouts

ReputationRep:
    Care to elaborate? I'm certainly looking to go but haven't heard much from anyone there.
    well certainly for my course I just fell in love with it upon visiting the open day. It goes without saying that many people will have a different opinion but it's certainly a credible University (ranked 4th in the world) and is also perfectley situated (which I guess could be argued by students who are looking for a more relaxed education). Also I think another factor's the course structure of what you're wanting to study. I mean my subject's such a broad one and every University seems to have a different way of teaching Architecture.

basically what I'm trying to say is it suited me perfectley so I'd advise you to go explore and do some research, go visit. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I'll decide if i want to take a gap year in the next week.. decisions, decisions..

ReputationRep:
    ya, cambridge rejection... i don't think i was good enough anyway, i'll probably accept any offer i get from other unis.. but a little part of me is really hoping to get 4 rejections so then i'll have to take a gap year... oh well, we'll see what happens...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.