Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do you do for the benefit of the opposite sex? Watch

ReputationRep:
    How much do you do in terms of your appearence for the opposite sex (or same.. whatever takes your fancy!)? Like girls often say on here that they don't do things for the benefit of men, but who for then? For themselves?
    I know i wouldnt any effort in if i wasn't trying to impress anyone? I don't eat too much so i dont get fat, spend money on make up and clothes etc etc.. Although i understand some people don't care what others think but I've never really understood that either

So my question is in the title!

ReputationRep:
    I wash and wear clean clothes. That's about it.

I keep myself in shape but for my own benefit not to please girls.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing, really.

I don't eat junk food because I care about my health. I don't wear make-up around my boyfriend unless we're going to the pub or a nightclub and I want to feel pretty/accent my outfit, in which case I'll put on some eyeliner. I buy nice clothes because- shocker- I really like clothes, putting outfits together and fabrics in general. I buy expensive bras because large breasts + cheap bras = ouch.

Ooh. I did buy some fancy lingerie in honour of my boyfriend, but believe you me, I'm getting far more mileage out of it than he is.

I'm not trying to make the point that I never care what people think of me. But, uh, my appearance? That's my body, and that's so personal that of course I don't care what other people think of it. Yeah, I do do most appearance-related things for myself. I'm selfish.

ReputationRep:
    I wax. And I ******* hate doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Keep myself in good shape. That's about it. Everything else I would do the same if I were only with the lads as if I were with girls.

Infrequently I'd dress better or change my appearance for the sake of girls and thus that is where keeping my weight down and working out comes in as I cannot simply fix it if I need to look especially good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    I wax. And I ******* hate doing it.
    Ah that reminds me...I shave. Don't let beard go past the stubble stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monstermunch1)
    How much do you do in terms of your appearence for the opposite sex (or same.. whatever takes your fancy!)? Like girls often say on here that they don't do things for the benefit of men, but who for then? For themselves?
    I know i wouldnt any effort in if i wasn't trying to impress anyone? I don't eat too much so i dont get fat, spend money on make up and clothes etc etc.. Although i understand some people don't care what others think but I've never really understood that either
    For other women, seriously.

I think girls/women make effort because there's like a mini competition going on between all women to be the best, prettiest and most feminine etc. And then men come into the equation but much later on. It's not like you get a shower/put on make up and wear something nice go out shopping on a Saturday with the purpose of pulling and make all the guys swoon after you, it's so you're not 'that girl that doesn't make an effort to look nice.'

ReputationRep:
    today i wore a shirt with 2 of the 3 top buttons. they were lost in a drunken effort to remove the garment which happened to be covered in vomit at the time.
    and i brushed my teeth.

this is the extent of my appeasing-the-shlags tactics, and da gyals luv itttt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)

I think girls/women make effort because there's like a mini competition going on between all women to be the best, prettiest and most feminine etc. And then men come into the equation but much later on. It's not like you go out shopping on a Saturday to pull and make all the guy swoon after you, it's so you're not 'that girl that doesn't make an effort to look nice.'
    Exactly this.

I am very into weightlifting so I put a lot of effort in at the gym to lift ever heavier barbells. I then supplement this with a calorie rich protein dense diet, all to build ever bigger muscles.
    And if this strength and physical appearance happens to appeal to females, then that is an added benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)

I think girls/women make effort because there's like a mini competition going on between all women to be the best, prettiest and most feminine etc. And then men come into the equation but much later on. It's not like you get a shower/put on make up and wear something nice go out shopping on a Saturday with the purpose of pulling and make all the guys swoon after you, it's so you're not 'that girl that doesn't make an effort to look nice.'

But its a good feeling if someone hot you pass out shopping on a Saturday checks you out! I suppose it is for yourself even if its through friends/guys, it all makes you feel good at the end?

ReputationRep:
    Since I've got a boyfriend, I've been more aware of this, I think. Obviously, a whole new lingerie drawer had to be bought simply because I wouldn't subject any guy to my old comfy knickers. So clearly, there are some things I do do for my bf's benefit as well as my own.

I lost weight for my own personal confidence, I dress the way I do for my own tastes and still wear makeup whenever I leave the house; granted, I tend to take my makeup off more when I'm with my bf because I know he prefers me without but I still wear the same makeup when we're out together because I feel more confident when I'm wearing it.

In general I'd never change anything about myself, for a bloke. I'm still the same person I was when I was single... still as glamorous, still as conscious of my appearance, but only because I like looking well kept. I wouldn't feel happy in myself slogging around in a hoody n baggy jeans, that's just not how I roll!

ReputationRep:
    I wear nice clothes and tend to make an effort - God knows why though! However I am very lazy with my facial hair!!!! If I have a reason to shave it I will though. Girls don't tend to swarm around me so I don't tend to worry hugely. Maybe I should...

ReputationRep:
    Shave and remove any hair of back and chest, although I don't really get much.

ReputationRep:
    I think girls/women make effort because there's like a mini competition going on between all women to be the best

This is sooo true i think 90% of the time women make themselves look good to look better than other women....wen a girl goes out wid a guy she will obviously be thinkin about wot he thinks but she dresses nice to make sure other girls know she is worthy of that guy...(in most cases anyway) and to bat away any competition

ReputationRep:
    Mmm, I'll probably say 15% of what I do is for the opposite sex. The rest is for me.

Edit - well, only one guy really... actually, I'm changing that to 5%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Since I've got a boyfriend, I've been more aware of this, I think. Obviously, a whole new lingerie drawer had to be bought simply because I wouldn't subject any guy to my old comfy knickers. So clearly, there are some things I do do for my bf's benefit as well as my own.

I lost weight for my own personal confidence, I dress the way I do for my own tastes and still wear makeup whenever I leave the house; granted, I tend to take my makeup off more when I'm with my bf because I know he prefers me without but I still wear the same makeup when we're out together because I feel more confident when I'm wearing it.

In general I'd never change anything about myself, for a bloke. I'm still the same person I was when I was single... still as glamorous, still as conscious of my appearance, but only because I like looking well kept. I wouldn't feel happy in myself slogging around in a hoody n baggy jeans, that's just not how I roll!
    This is basically exactly what I'd say

ReputationRep:
    nothing at all, its all for me
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Depends who it is.. if its just mates, no more effort than usual!

Guy I like I try not to look like a train wreck. I usually look like a train wreck

practicality over style on a day to day basis. When I'm out its a combination or all out style

I rarely wear make up cos I forget, and most of my wardrobe is old!

I'm content to do the I got ready in 5mins deal :P

ReputationRep:
    Nothing at all i do it for myself

if it happens to have an effect on them than thats aryt.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.