Turn on thread page Beta

How much do you do for the benefit of the opposite sex? watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't follow the pack and do what I think other people want to see - I choose how I want to dress, how I want to look. I want to look the best I can because it makes me feel good. That happens to satisfy what Sakura-Chan observes so its all good, imo.
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    there's like a mini competition going on between all women to be the best, prettiest and most feminine etc. And then men come into the equation but much later on.

ReputationRep:
    Women dress up to compete with each other first and then the men. Well known, but actually they are competing for men because they know the best looking woman will get the men.

Whether or not I dress up largely depends on my mood.

Some days I'm happy to slob it out (and don't feel self conscious) and others I just feel like prettying myself up (usually if for some reason I already feel attractive on that day).

I always wear makeup to cover spots if I have them.
    I don't wear other-than-coverup makeup everyday because it's a chore wiping it off - and I had become overdependent on it before, whereas now I think I can look just fine without it.
    I like wearing nice outfits.. mostly for me I guess. I have a boyfriend so I'm not fishing, and I don't (consciously at least ) see other girls in a competitive light.

Although I guess I do like (maybe kinda secretly) thinking that I am attractive to both sexes (not sexually, but like - I hope that people will look and think I'm attractive).
    But it's not negative - like "I don't want to be ugly", rather positive "I feel like being extra-attractive today" and I think that is mostly for my own benefit.

For my boyfriend, I will put effort into my appearance though. It's not a chore to me. I like preparing myself, it makes me feel sexier and more confident. Maybe it's partly for him, partly for me?
    Example: wear makeup, wear nice underwear, wear contacts.

I am slim. I try actively to maintain this because I wouldn't want to put on weight - for my own confidence, my own appearance, and for my boyfriend I guess. But I also like exercise and good diet because I feel more energetic, and kinda pleased with myself and healthier I guess when I'm doing exercise and eating well. I don't diet though at all, never have.

ReputationRep:
    We all say that we don't do stuff for the opposite sex but we also know that's ********.

I shower, wear deodorant, spend quite a bit of money on clothes and I go to the gym to improve my physique.

ReputationRep:
    Very little.

I shave my legs, and occasionally down there.

ReputationRep:
    I keep in shape, wear nice clothes, shave everyday, remove unwanted hair, spend ages doinig my hair every morning (i'm a novice with hair straighteners :/ ) I guess i do most of that for myself more than anything though, it's just me.

ReputationRep:
    Nowt.

Just be your best self.

HONESTLY,
    I let my girlfriend come visit me even though she is on her period..
    I walk around naked in the changing room just to show off (sometimes..).
    For MY benefit i masturbate...

Seriously though, most things i do are for and will probably benefit other people i.e. dress well, nice body and good hygienne.
    But that benefit to others is also a benefit to myself because i feel great.
    I guess its difficult to distinguish who you actually do it for, but regardless who you do it for; in most cases YOU as the individual benefits the most.
    Basically do what ever pleases you the most and worry about others later.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. I don't care if people look at me and think I look ridiculous (as many do) if I look at myself in the mirror and and am pleased with what I see.

I live for myself, not other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I wouldn't feel happy in myself slogging around in a hoody n baggy jeans, that's just not how I roll!
    Ooops. I read this, and I'm wearing my bf's massive hoodie and some baggy jeans :rolleyes:
    I'm such a bad girl :redface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    HONESTLY,
    I let my girlfriend come visit me even though she is on her period..I walk around naked in the changing room just to show off (sometimes..).
    For MY benefit i masturbate...
    Erm... well yeah. When you say "even though", are you implying that ideally you wouldnt even like to see her if she's on her period?

ReputationRep:
    I like looking at myself in the mirror and feeling pretty, so mainly I do it for myself, but also for my boyfriend. I want his friends to be jealous of his girlfriend :mmm: I don't dress up in the day though.

I do get dressed :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I make an effort so I don't feel insecure around other girls. :emo:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I do it for myself, but simply because I like being looked at by men.

I don't do it so much any more, because a) I'm a third year who has better things to do than spend an hour picking clothes and getting dressed (especially when I was heavily involved in a society last term) and b) One of them drunkenly called me a slut who had slept with everyone in the place except my boyfriend, and he was the first to do it (which kinda ruined the sentiment as he hasn't!) so I don't really talk to those guys anymore, and the rest don't really care.

I sometimes do it just for the hell of it, my red heels can't just stay on the rack!

ReputationRep:
    You dress up on a night out for yourself, so as to give you the confidence that you will be getting attention from the opposite sex.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.