Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my first year and not enjoying the course at all - it sucks.
    I have no idea what I want to do career wise and if I leave I have no idea what I would do. I would have to get a job but I think that could be worse than staying here, ie. more hours of work, less lie ins and holiday time
    The only reason I would stay is that a degree would give me more options for jobs in the future
    HELP!

ReputationRep:
    I think you should stay, at least the whole year since you are paying for it. Then maybe change uni or course, or maybe take a gap year to figure out what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Where are you and what are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    My problem with the idea of a gap year is that I could never see myself wanting to come back to this as I'd always be thinking about why I left in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Sussex doing Economics BA

ReputationRep:
    You ought to stick it out for the first year, at least. Or see if you can switch courses (if you manage to think of something better that you'd like to do). It's not a good idea to drop out with no back-up plan and no idea what else you'd like to do. Plus, it's generally harder to get anywhere without a degree Good luck. x

ReputationRep:
    bump it up

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to do? Do what would make you happy.

ReputationRep:
    stick it out
    you know it will be worth it in the long run

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's worth sticking it out for too long if you know deep down that you will leave. But it all depends on how you feel. Are you unhappy with the course, the university, or university life in general?

As someone who has quit uni in the past, and started all over again, I'd definitely say it's best to do what you want to do. It was the best decision I ever made, because now I'm actually enjoying the course. I think you perhaps need to have a think about what interests you, be it career or course wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caleb25)
    I have no idea what I want to do career wise and if I leave I have no idea what I would do. I would have to get a job but I think that could be worse than staying here, ie. more hours of work, less lie ins and holiday time
    The only reason I would stay is that a degree would give me more options for jobs in the future
    HELP!
    I'd suggest finding a course you do want to do. Better a good degree in a subject you enjoy than a poor degree in a subject you loath.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As has already been said, don't drop out of university without a backup plan - this is the worst idea ever.

Think about the course, and think about what made you choose an economics degree in the first place. Is there nothing in the degree which interests you? I'm also doing economics, and while I loathe microeconomics with a passion, I'm really interested in macroeconomics and econometrics, so am just waiting until next semester till I can properly enjoy the course.

I would recommend staying on until the end of this year, but think about next year in the meantime. There's still time to apply via UCAS for another course at other universities (the date has been extended to the 22nd due to bad weather), or talk to your academic tutor about the possibility of doing an inter-university transfer, meaning you'd stay at the same university, but just switch courses.

ReputationRep:
    First identify if there's another course you wish to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caleb25)
    HELP!
    What things don't you enjoy about the course?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.