Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Nucleus................. No. of chromosomes..................... Mass of DNA

Prophase of mitosis...................... 26 ......................... 60

telophase of mitosis .................... 26 ........................... 30
    sperm cell ........................ 13 ................................ ........ 30

I just wanted to check if these value were right, they're from a past paper and i was only given the first line of infomation.

Can someone check them please and if i'm wrong explain why please...

thanks

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

(Original post by devan5)

Can someone check them please and if i'm wrong explain why please...

thanks
    The mass of DNA in the sperm cell is 15, no?

The mass of DNA in sperm cell should be half of that in telophase of mitosis because there are 2 divisions in meiosis.

ReputationRep:
    "telophase of mitosis .................... 26 ........................... 30"

Wouldnt the chromosme number half due to the separation of chromatids? so from 26 --> 13??

Oh and sperm cell should be half of that in telophase so 6.5 ?? :O
    Mass of Sperm cell would be 15! (Half of that in telophase)

ReputationRep:
    i've seen this question and to be honest it makes no sense whatsoever. by prophase the chromosomes have already replicated, meaning in a standard cell you'd only have 13 chromosomes, since sperm are gametes it should be half as much again, so 6.5, which is ridiculous as you wouldnt get .5 of a chromosome. bit of a slip up by the exam board i think
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Artymess)
    i've seen this question and to be honest it makes no sense whatsoever. by prophase the chromosomes have already replicated, meaning in a standard cell you'd only have 13 chromosomes, since sperm are gametes it should be half as much again, so 6.5, which is ridiculous as you wouldnt get .5 of a chromosome. bit of a slip up by the exam board i think
    Why would a standard cells have 13 chromosomes?

Are you high?

Edit, just noticed what you mean. I think they mean 26 pairs in prophase, then 26 in telophase, but after meiosis, the chromatids become the chromosomes so there are 13 chromatids > so 13 chromosomes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not high at all, the question doesn't state that it's a human cell, so it doesnt have to have 46 chromosomes. but i think you're right, its just a case of the exam board not thinking through the question

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.