Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there a decent English version of this French site? watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.frontnational.com/

^ It's like the French BNP, I want to do an essay on far right nationalism in Europe, but I want to quote the people themselves.

The vast bulk of info on them is in French, as is their site. And I can't find an English equivalent of it, which sucks because I want to compare them with the BNP, their manifesto etc.. but it's all in French.

Any help? I want an official site I can reference, not some ad hoc homemade 'i hate the front national' type site.

I also tried to translate it, but it comes up with **** like "Paris: Jean-Marie Le Pen will chair Wafer of the Kings of the FN Ile-de-France on January 31"

ReputationRep:
    Surely if this is the equivalent of the French BNP they won't have an official English version. It'd be a bit against their 'cause' if they did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quadruple_twist)
    Surely if this is the equivalent of the French BNP they won't have an official English version. It'd be a bit against their 'cause' if they did.

Well they're against French African, Algerian, Moroccan immigration etc... not European.

So no it wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    Le Pen came second in th 2002 Presidential election so there's bound to be journal articles on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittykatkat)
    This is why languages should be compulsory in schools. Give me twenty quid and I'll translate it.
    That's not even helpful. Anyway I did French untill last year, even first year of uni, but I'm not good enough to start translating complicated texts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Well they're against French African, Algerian, Moroccan immigration etc... not European.

So no it wouldn't.
    Actually it would. Much of the policy of the front national relates to being French by blood. They talk a lot about jus sanguinis (blood rights), which goes hand in hand with the preservation of the French language. I'm afraid I think it's really unlikely you'll find any version other than in French and particularly not in English.

If you really can't read the French (it sounds as though you could have a decent go at least), then I think you'll have to look to different sources. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Can't you just use wikipedia, you can still reference it and they have an article on the FN in French and English

ReputationRep:

^ It's like the French BNP, I want to do an essay on far right nationalism in Europe, but I want to quote the people themselves.

The vast bulk of info on them is in French, as is their site. And I can't find an English equivalent of it, which sucks because I want to compare them with the BNP, their manifesto etc.. but it's all in French.

Any help? I want an official site I can reference, not some ad hoc homemade 'i hate the front national' type site.

I also tried to translate it, but it comes up with **** like "Paris: Jean-Marie Le Pen will chair Wafer of the Kings of the FN Ile-de-France on January 31"

You can use Google translate to translate whole pages.
    Just add the URL. If your particularly stuck I would be happy to translate something specific.

http://translate.google.com/translat...2F&sl=fr&tl=en

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by casparticus)
    Can't you just use wikipedia, you can still reference it and they have an article on the FN in French and English

You can't reference wikipedia.

ReputationRep:
    You can't reference wikipedia.
    Really? I know that it's frowned upon in Scientific journals where important/complicated information can change drastically and swiftly. But why not for a simple article on an established body?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by casparticus)
    Really? I know that it's frowned upon in Scientific journals where important/complicated information can change drastically and swiftly. But why not for a simple article on an established body?

I'm at uni. This is a part of my degree (a small percentage but still), and the overall essay is 'Examine the rise of the new radical right in Europe w/ case studies. You can't use wiki, trust.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at uni. This is a part of my degree (a small percentage but still), and the overall essay is 'Examine the rise of the new radical right in Europe w/ case studies. You can't use wiki, trust.
    Fair enough - my faith is strong.

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at the "Economist"? A great many articles on the European far-right. Austria's worrying election in 2008, Belgium, France. If you register you'll get 14 days free access their premium content. Without having to enter a card number.

This months free article on Italy: http://www.economist.com/world/europ...ry_id=15271071

I would also be careful about trusting British newspapers. And double check their claims.

ReputationRep:

how about stfu

ReputationRep:

Isn't there a radical French group opposing the riots that have happened in recent years by Muslims and ethnics, and trying to use that to their own political gain?

You could talk about that.

ReputationRep:
    As long as the parts of Wikipedia you use are referenced e.g. here, you should be able to just use the reference given instead of explicitly referencing Wikipedia.

ReputationRep:
    There's quite a bit on Le Pen and that gang on JSTOR if that's of any use. I imagine that's a bit of an obvious place to look, though.

ReputationRep:
    whats your course?

ReputationRep:
    If you use the Google website translation service, that should give you at least a basic (if inelegant) sense of the meaning. Then when you find something interesting, you could post the French on here for us to translate.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how you would reference a site in translation, though?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.