Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is there a decent English version of this French site? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    I wonder how you would reference a site in translation, though?
    I suppose that if she knows what her quotation/reference means, she could reference it in French.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    I suppose that if she knows what her quotation/reference means, she could reference it in French.
    Personally, I'd be wary about referencing a site which was originally in French which someone on here had then translated for me. I assume you'd have to put the quotation in English for your essay. I'm not sure how I would account for the translation and its accuracy, especially when the original source is the FN, where accurate wording would be very important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    Personally, I'd be wary about referencing a site which was originally in French which someone on here had then translated for me. I assume you'd have to put the quotation in English for your essay. I'm not sure how I would account for the translation and its accuracy, especially when the original source is the FN, where accurate wording would be very important.
    I've quoted French in one of my essays, but the French article was on the reading list (obviously not mandatory though), and most, if not all, of the classics department can read French, with it being quite important for classical study -- of course, that may not be the case with other departments/universities though. But she could always ask her tutor how to reference it.

There's also the issue, as you say, of TSR's translation skills being awful, but, despite the oddballs, I have more faith in us than that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    I've quoted French in one of my essays, but the French article was on the reading list (obviously not mandatory though), and most, if not all, of the classics department can read French, with it being quite important for classical study -- of course, that may not be the case with other departments/universities though. But she could always ask her tutor how to reference it.

There's also the issue, as you say, of TSR's translation skills being awful, but, despite the oddballs, I have more faith in us than that!
    She speaks fluent French, English, Spanish and Catalan, however for this essay most of the good stuff seems to be in French and it's too much hassle for me to keep bothering TSR linguists, as well as I wouldn't know how to quote it (in English/French) or anything, so I'm not going to do it.

I'll do another essay on nationalism in nations without states, should be more straightforward. Annoying though! I was looking forward to researching this. :sad:

Thanks everyone above anyway ^^^

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.