Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a second year student studying politics philosophy and economics at the moment i am on a low 2.1 with the very minimal effort possible but I want to get a 1st.

The problem is whenever I try and work I end up doing something else instead, I have had 1 month off for christmas and have done 2 hours work in a month.

do any of you have any good ideas of how to push past the initial feeling of not wanting to work.

no lame suggestions as some are obvious ie I need to fix my body clock.

ReputationRep:
    lol I am the only student who doesnt drink coffee or tea;P

I need thos first as after this I am gonna do a graduate entry dgree in medicine and a 1st really helps my app.

ReputationRep:
    You should definitely come on TSR and start a thread.

Although I can only do revision and everything else after a coffee and energy drink (TescoKx 97p for a litre bottle!). Try it, it seriously helps.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think it was possible to do a graduate entry degree in medicine with the degree you have... I thought it had to be somewhat science related degree

ReputationRep:
    for most universitys that is the case but 6 of the 16 offer a place to non science related courses.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    removing access to internet helps me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by papajames)
    Pro-plus????

seriously, easier said than done, just face it. I tell myself: revision is not fun but its gotta be done.

ReputationRep:
    try hypnosis, i'm sure you can get a CD on the high street

ReputationRep:

I need thos first as after this I am gonna do a graduate entry dgree in medicine and a 1st really helps my app.
    Nah, i don't drink tea or coffee either. I don't understand people who can't start in the morning without having a cup of it. I can just get out of bed and go. Also, energy drinks are gross.

Anyway, to the OP, you really do need to get your body clock fixed! That'll basically do it for you. Anyway, i suggest deciding upon a period of time that you will work for. Make it, say 3 1hr chunks that will happen at set times in the day and make sure you work in these times. Work is the only thing you're allowed to do in them, no procrastinating. It's only one hour and at the end of it you can go and do something else. You've just got to be really really reigmented with yourself and when you get into the habit of doing work it'll get easier. It's going to be tough to get into that habit in the first place so make sure you're really tough on yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickeyfit)
    I didn't think it was possible to do a graduate entry degree in medicine with the degree you have... I thought it had to be somewhat science related degree
    Some do have a biology/science-related degree as a prerequisite, but there's also a reasonable number that welcome graduates of any discipline: KCL, Leicester, Newcastle, Nottingham, Southampton, St George's and Swansea are the ones I've found on a quick look. However, some of these do look for science subjects in A-levels or experience with it in other areas, and never having looked into it I don't know whether a degree related to medicine would put you at an advantage.

I drink tea because I like the taste, but after twelve-odd years of having about eight cups a day, it has no energy benefits for me - in fact, warm drink in a dark room is more likely to send me to sleep ... so you're definitely not the only one who doesn't drink it for energy benefits. Coffee is a taste I fear a bit too sophisticated for me, and those energy drinks are vile...

Just think of what you want out of this degree - entry to graduate medicine - and how much studying in order to get that first will mean to you. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    thanks

yeh i suppose it is just getting into the routine but with me it is the starting that is the worst so where as some people say I should do 1 hour chunks it might be better for me to do 3 hour big chunks.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.