Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So it turns out my UCAS has been sent, but I aked my teacher who added the reference to write that I'm retaking some exams with the aim of ABB as a few universitys I applied to require that.

But he didn't , claiming that he didn't get the email untill after he submitted the form. (Although I sent the email about a week before he submitted it, not that it makes much difference.)

So what do I do? Is there a chance I can email the universitys to tell them they can make me conditional offers, or do I have no chance now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    So it turns out my UCAS has been sent, but I aked my teacher who added the reference to write that I'm retaking some exams with the aim of ABB as a few universitys I applied to require that.

But he didn't , claiming that he didn't get the email untill after he submitted the form. (Although I sent the email about a week before he submitted it, not that it makes much difference.)

So what do I do? Is there a chance I can email the universitys to tell them they can make me conditional offers, or do I have no chance now?
    looks like someone is riding the screwed train to no university place land.

But actually email the Unis and hope they take it into account (they probably will). There was a mistake on my reference that the universities got updated after I asked my referee to change it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, email them and fully explain the situation.

Provide your UCAS number, name, address, telephone number and the course codes in your email.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You should have put it into the education section anyway, so it won;t be a problem.

Unless you didn't, in which case you need to notify UCAS and all the unis you're applying to of this.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't want to put my grades as pending because it's only a few that want higher, if I call up before the deadline will it be able to be changed then through ucas? Or will I have to email the universitys individually?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I didn't want to put my grades as pending because it's only a few that want higher, if I call up before the deadline will it be able to be changed then through ucas? Or will I have to email the universitys individually?
    It doesn't matter whether you wanted to or not, the rules say you have to.

You will have to email all of the unis you have applied to as well as UCAS. If you don't, they can withdraw their offer when they find out. Which they will, because they will receive your results in August.

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Something similar happened in my school and we ended up discussing whether we should have mentioned somewhere that we were going to retake.

Our head of 6th form's (who co-ordinates all the UCAS applications) opinion in her experience was that most Uni's don't use the AS grades as much as the predicted A2 grades to decide whether to give you an offer. :woo:
    I don't know what your grades are, but in my case I got AABC at AS (the B and C being in Bio and Chem, which I need the most) and my head of years opinion was that as i'm predicted aaab they'll assume i'm retaking to achieve those grades (as i am) or am somehow expected to do so well this year that it will bump my other grades up. (which i'm not. Lol!)

So as long as your predicted grades sent to ucas by your school are at least ABB, you should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    It doesn't matter whether you wanted to or not, the rules say you have to.

You will have to email all of the unis you have applied to as well as UCAS. If you don't, they can withdraw their offer when they find out. Which they will, because they will receive your results in August.
    Why would they withdraw an offer I havent lied =/, If I receive higher grades in june I don't see why that's a problem...

ReputationRep:
    I'm a gap year student by the way trying to 'up' my A-levels not a current Alevel student - I already have ACC.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Why would they withdraw an offer I havent lied =/, If I receive higher grades in june I don't see why that's a problem...
    You have lied though, by omission

ReputationRep:
    You have to put them as pending whether you want to or not. I resat a few english modules on a gap year to get my grade up, but I put my english grade as pending. Chances are you, even if you rang up to tell them, they might reject you for fibbing.....

ReputationRep:
    I'm a gap year student by the way trying to 'up' my A-levels not a current Alevel student - I already have ACC.
    Aaah ok.

Thats different then, because there are some uni's that will not look at you for having done them twice or outside of the 2 years you get to do them. So yes, that could be considered to be lying by exclusion to get yourself a place.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no have I actually lied :s, I dont really inderstand how that works. So this means I can't retake the modules, can you not decide to retake modules after you send off your ucas? Obviously I put my grades as ACC not ABB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franchango)
    Aaah ok.

Thats different then, because there are some uni's that will not look at you for having done them twice or outside of the 2 years you get to do them. So yes, that could be considered to be lying by exclusion to get yourself a place.
    But they will still see that I took longer to get the grades whether I put pending or not, If they give me an offer now it'll be based on the grades I already have, asuming I cant write anywhere that I am retaking in my gap year.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Oh no have I actually lied :s, I dont really inderstand how that works. So this means I can't retake the modules, can you not decide to retake modules after you send off your ucas? Obviously I put my grades as ACC not ABB.
    As long as you notify them straight away, they probably won't care too much. Just write them a nice email explaining, and call UCAS first thing in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    I see!
    Well then, that should be fine, as your uni's would be offering you a place on the basis of your grades being ACC. You might even get an unconditional offer from somewhere wanting ACC as you already have your results.
    I guess if you are applying to somewhere requiring ABB you could have put the ones you were retaking on your ucas form and put 'pending' so they'd know you're doing them again, and got your teacher to mention it too. But then like I said before the advantage of your new predicted grades would possibly be overlooked by some universities as a disadvantage because of taking longer to get them. Sucks, but it's true.
    Hope i'm not confusing you too much! :s

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I will call in the morning, but just to need to clear up because I don't understand why I've lied.

UCAS says
    For each school and college, you must provide details of:

* all qualifications for which you have accepted certification from an awarding body, even if you are retaking all or part of the qualification
    * all qualifications for which you are currently studying or for which you are awaiting results.
    So by not putting pending I havent lied as I have accepted certification of the award? But I should have stated somewhere that I was still to take some exams?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franchango)
    I see!
    Well then, that should be fine, as your uni's would be offering you a place on the basis of your grades being ACC. You might even get an unconditional offer from somewhere wanting ACC as you already have your results.
    I guess if you are applying to somewhere requiring ABB you could have put the ones you were retaking on your ucas form and put 'pending' so they'd know you're doing them again, and got your teacher to mention it too. But then like I said before the advantage of your new predicted grades would possibly be overlooked by some universities as a disadvantage because of taking longer to get them. Sucks, but it's true.
    Hope i'm not confusing you too much! :s
    Oh ok, the acusation of lying is freaking me out a bit =/. Yeah I was aware this would be a disadvantage, but because I don't want to spend a year doing no studing whatsoever I thought it would be worth a try. I've got 2 that want higher and three that don't so have a nice safety net.

ReputationRep:
    No you havent lied, it was a mistake on our part because we assumed you'd put ABB on your ucas form. Sorry!

To be honest, I'd say your ok either way. Ive heard theyre more likely to look at what you actually got in your A2s though than what you might get when you retake. Its a personal choice. Though maybe if ALL the uni's youve applied to require ABB minimum, you might want to think about calling!

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.