The Student Room Group
Reply 1
ANU is a great university, and is quite reputed for its engineering courses. But most people don't like it because Canberra isn't the most exciting city in the world. It really depends on which Australian state your parents are migrating. All Australian Go8 universities are equal in quality and prestige, so you'd do better going to your local Go8 uni rather than somewhere far off. I guess Monash and UNSW edges ANU slightly in terms of quality, but that's really insignificant. Btw, you don't have to pay international fees if you and your parents become Australian Permanent Residents.
What the above poster has said. Many students here literally go: 'ANU wow. Good rep, but location... **** that, I'm staying in Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane' wherever they are from.
uk degrees are much valued after canada and usa. then any other.
bath and warwick and better than australia.u can see if there is any exchange program of anu with these two.u can always go there for a semster or so-check out the beach and aussie chicks are hot:>>P.lol
Reply 4
greenforce
uk degrees are much valued after canada and usa. then any other.
bath and warwick and better than australia.u can see if there is any exchange program of anu with these two.u can always go there for a semster or so-check out the beach and aussie chicks are hot:>>P.lol

Is there any justification behind anything you posted? ANU is quite far from the beach being in a city that is not coastal.
u too obessed with anu then not gonna except the facts-really check uk uni degree has a more value,even if its sme one room uni its better than anu.
Reply 6
greenforce
u too obessed with anu then not gonna except the facts-really check uk uni degree has a more value,even if its sme one room uni its better than anu.

Really? What "facts" do you have that prove "one roomed unis" are better than ANU? ANU is one of the world's foremost research universities, with global acceptance for its high-quality courses.
Reply 7
Thanks for all the advice so far.

I'll clarify a few things (sorry!):
-I have Australian citizenship from living in Adelaide for 8 years
-Family is moving out to Adelaide, so if Adelaide Uni is just as good as the ANU it would make sense to just go there (it's on the beach, too)

I'm getting relatively high A grades in my modules so far. I understand that with university you get out what you put in, and it'll be a different way of learning to A-levels, but would you say Warwick (and Bath) would have a higher limit on this "putting in/getting out" business than a Group of Eight uni? I don't know if it's just me misreading what people are saying, but I'm seeing "good" and "ok" chucked about a lot for the australian universities (again, sorry if I'm nitpicking) - in a straight up employability/potential-to-learn/opportunities/etc, how heavily does one side beat the other (I'm going to guess at Warwick being slightly better)?

greenforce, I wasn't asking about ANU because I want to go out of my way to take a semester there - the whole point is that I need to choose whether to live in England or Australia, and from what I'd seen the ANU seemed to be the best Australian uni (seems like I was wrong, Go8 are equal?). If I went to uni here I'd have no reason to try and do a term in australia.
Reply 8
flugestuge
The downside is that it is in Adelaide, a small racist town in South Australia.

I can't find any fist-shaking smilie so just assume I'm wildly shaking my fist in anger here ---> :biggrin:

So in your personal opinion, if I had an unconditional offer from Warwick on the table in front of me, would you say the better option is to go for Warwick or somewhere in Australia? To what degree would it just be down to personal preference (scenery, weather etc)?
Reply 9
Thanks for the advice. And in regards to the fist shaking, three of those links are identical and I don't think one incident of racism is very solid evidence, while the other two are about Australia in general (and all five are anecdotal)
Reply 10
Warwick, definitely. But I'd take U of Sydney over Warwick.
anu is not bad for going there for one term...warwick has better employment oppertunities and bath has best engineering facilities if u intrested in learing and getting knowledge rather than just a degree.

Latest

Trending

Trending