Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What types of work experience would be very valuable for a future in IB? I have read that interships will be very valuable as work experience, but all these are for university students, are they ont? Any work experience placements from any of the firms for school/college students? I have completed the Young Enterprise scheme within my school, but was wondering else is available. I am only in yr11 at the moment, but will appreciate any relevant experiences I could apply for in the coming future.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you have contacts in the industry, its tough. All you can do is cold call/write letters/email HR and hope you get something. You might get lucky and get something.

The Windsor Fellowship runs a scheme with Deutsche - the 'I have a Dream' programme for ethnic minority students. Think thats about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viraj_c)
    Unless you have contacts in the industry, its tough. All you can do is cold call/write letters/email HR and hope you get something. You might get lucky and get something.

The Windsor Fellowship runs a scheme with Deutsche - the 'I have a Dream' programme for ethnic minority students. Think thats about it.
    Is the Deutsche program only for greater London residents?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    Is the Deutsche program only for greater London residents?
    http://www.windsor-fellowship.org/Default.aspx?ID=69

ReputationRep:
    I know this might sounds silly, but why is it restricted to black and asian groups?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IARELOVEAMY)
    I know this might sounds silly, but why is it restricted to black and asian groups?
    To promote diveristy in an industry which is traditionally dominated by 'white' groups.

Personally, I never used to agree with things like this and SEO, till someone who is involved with these things told me why they felt compelled to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viraj_c)
    To promote diveristy in an industry which is traditionally dominated by 'white' groups.

Personally, I never used to agree with things like this and SEO, till someone who is involved with these things told me why they felt compelled to do it.
    Ahh right, fair enough. I don't know enough to comment on it but a guess would tell me that seen as there are more white people graduating from University in the UK than black people and asian people put together, surely they would be taking more jobs in these sort of industries? Just my guessing though! I'm all for equality etc but surely when the time comes to fill the job, they don't pick candidates on the basis of skin colour, they pick on the qualities of the candidate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IARELOVEAMY)
    Ahh right, fair enough. I don't know enough to comment on it but a guess would tell me that seen as there are more white people graduating from University in the UK than black people and asian people put together, surely they would be taking more jobs in these sort of industries? Just my guessing though! I'm all for equality etc but surely when the time comes to fill the job, they don't pick candidates on the basis of skin colour, they pick on the qualities of the candidate?
    The only 'discrimination' that goes on in London IBs nowadays is against white, anglo-saxon males. someone should create a white-man's support network.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.