Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My dog's got fat... watch

ReputationRep:
    so my dog is a golden retriever, 10 yrs old, she gets walked once a day and has the full run of the garden for the full day with my other dog and we feed her on fresh meat with the mass calcuated off the recommendations. So recently she started to put on weight and now she is bordering obese, she sleeps a lot and suffers bad hips when its cold, she also has been urinating a lot or at least trying to anyway. She had pyometra about 5 yrs ago and was spade then so it can be nothing to do with that. Anyone have any idea what could be the problem. I am just waiting to get an appointment at my vets but its not for a while.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    find it a partner....it could be depressed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotpot)
    so my dog is a golden retriever, 10 yrs old, she gets walked once a day and has the full run of the garden for the full day with my other dog and we feed her on fresh meat with the mass calcuated off the recommendations. So recently she started to put on weight and now she is bordering obese, she sleeps a lot and suffers bad hips when its cold, she also has been urinating a lot or at least trying to anyway. She had pyometra about 5 yrs ago and was spade then so it can be nothing to do with that. Anyone have any idea what could be the problem. I am just waiting to get an appointment at my vets but its not for a while.
    Thanks
    Fatigue and excessive urination coupled with weight gain...
    Possible diabetes?

Where is the weight gain? All over or just around the abdomen?
    How recent is the weight gain? Did all the other symptoms appear before the weight gain?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she's getting arthritis. My dog (a labrador) started to slow down at that age (just natural ageing) and got arthritis. It's supposed to be quite common in labs and goldens, so who knows?

ReputationRep:
    i thought diabetes aswell, but usually its weight loss. The weight was gradual along with the tiredness the urinatio is more recent and i think the soreness is down to her weight.
    She has a companion so she cant be depressed etc.

ReputationRep:
    The weight gain could just be due to her slowing down with age.
    Diabetes could have developed due to the weight if shes urinating excessivley.
    Or shes just showing her age. Good luck with the vets

ReputationRep:
    i know we should really be thinking of the pet here, but you better hope it isnt diabetes, because that will be extremely expensive unless you have the right pet insurance.

but yeah, perhaps its just general aging

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone, well i will see the vets next week so will hopefully find out!!!

ReputationRep:
    The key symptom of untreated Diabetes is extreme thirst. If she is drinking alot more water from her bowl than before then late onset Diabetes is likely.

ReputationRep:
    Have you been the vets yet?
    What did they say the problem was?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.