Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Preparing for Primary Education Interviews watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have interviews at oxford brookes, chichester and canterbury christ church.. still waiting on Winchester and brighton!

Just wondering, how do you exactly prepare for an interview?

i know most will be about your own experience in schools, but not sure what else to do/think about
    also if anybody else has had interviews at the above, what were they like? what did you do!

Thank you :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Hey I have had an interview at canterbury.. I didn't get in though!!! they invite everyone (including guests) into a lecture hall, give a talk on the structure of the course then the guests leave and they gave us a writing task based on the question "How can you engage children in learning" or something like that.. we had to watch two video clips of primary school children in order to answer it. Then we went off in small groups to be interviewed and did a group presentation to each other on "What is the best way for children to learn?" afterwards we had literally 10 minutes for the interview in our seperate groups.. so it doesn't give them much idea of what you are like!!!

And for the preperation bit Canterbury sent me questions to think about to help for the interview?! as well as this I have written down possible responses to questions that may come up such as why I want to teach, qualities to make good teacher, challenges that teachers may face etc

good luck!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I have been invited for interviews at oxford brookes, UWE and Reading. still waiting on Brighton and Gloucstershire.

so your not alone with waiting for Brighton!

havent been to any of my interviews yet, but wish you the best of luck! xx

ReputationRep:
    Hey I've had interviews for Canterbury Christ Church and Oxford Brookes and gotten into both

CCC interview was ok don't be really nervous just be yourself! Can't think of anything really to add to what the other girl said about it, except that (and this applies to both) you need to be really aware of your english the whole way through all the interviews 'cos they reaaaaaally do pay a lot of attention to it! For the group presentation thing we had to do a mind map saying about what made a good classroom, it was a pretty fun day in all honesty.

The Oxford Brookes interview I was really nervous about 'cos it seems really intense! It's really not too bad at all promise! First we had an introductory talk thing, then the group teaching task. That was the bit I was the most worried about but it was OK Loads of people did different things, what were you thinking of doing??? I did like a matching game thing about languages and memory that went down pretty well :P Then there was a maths test and english test, the maths I was also pretty nervous about but it was about yr7 standard and about 10 questions The english was just to pick a question and carry it on, e.g, talk about someone who has inspired you, talk about a recent performance you have done....Then there was the paired interview where you have to talk about that article you are given? You only get asked about 2 or 3 questions on that article so that's not too bad, although they did focus a lot on finding out whether you read a lot or not....so you might want to have a book and author in your head! It doesn't have to be relevant to teaching either, they just like to know you read and whatnot
    Sorry that was a bit long
    Hope it helped though!
    If you've got anymore questions feel free

Sian

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh also for the Canterbury group interview, you really have to speak up when it comes your turn to talk (you'll most likely go round the table and answer a single question.) I was pretty much always the last one to speak but as long as you are confident you should be fine try and include a personal experience in what you say in your answer too and ask questions! They really wanted us to debate so go for it!!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya ive applied at Brighton, Chicester, Nottingham Trent, Greenwich and Anglia Ruskin.
    Ive got interviews at Nottingham, Chicester and Brighton and im just wondering if anyone can help with what the interviews and questions are like?

ReputationRep:
    The Oxford Brookes interview I was really nervous about 'cos it seems really intense! It's really not too bad at all promise! First we had an introductory talk thing, then the group teaching task. That was the bit I was the most worried about but it was OK Loads of people did different things, what were you thinking of doing??? I did like a matching game thing about languages and memory that went down pretty well :P Then there was a maths test and english test, the maths I was also pretty nervous about but it was about yr7 standard and about 10 questions The english was just to pick a question and carry it on, e.g, talk about someone who has inspired you, talk about a recent performance you have done....Then there was the paired interview where you have to talk about that article you are given? You only get asked about 2 or 3 questions on that article so that's not too bad, although they did focus a lot on finding out whether you read a lot or not....so you might want to have a book and author in your head! It doesn't have to be relevant to teaching either, they just like to know you read and whatnot
    Hope it helped though!

Sian [/QUOTE]

Ah thank you both so much for the help!
    Yeah im feeling most nervous for the oxford brookes interview, and really cant think of anything to teach. The letter said to teach it to an adult audience which has confused me most- maybe ill explain a poem or something as its only 5 minutes!, but hopefully ill think of something its not till the 24th Feb!- What other sort of things did people do?
    Thank you, i really appreciate the help
    Lucy

ReputationRep:
    Hello I was wondering if anyone can help me I have just done an interview for primary teaching at Oxford Brookes and I was just wondering how long does it take to get a reply.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizzy156)
    Hello I was wondering if anyone can help me I have just done an interview for primary teaching at Oxford Brookes and I was just wondering how long does it take to get a reply.
    Thank you
    They took about a week and a half to tell me and i reckon that's about normal good luck

ReputationRep:

Ah thank you both so much for the help!
    Yeah im feeling most nervous for the oxford brookes interview, and really cant think of anything to teach. The letter said to teach it to an adult audience which has confused me most- maybe ill explain a poem or something as its only 5 minutes!, but hopefully ill think of something its not till the 24th Feb!- What other sort of things did people do?
    Thank you, i really appreciate the help
    Lucy
    I taught Ancient Greek. The other girls in my group taught knot tying, how to dive, the equipment for scuba diving and a water carying based science experiment. I was going to do oragami or first aid I did type out a majorly long account of my Oxford Brookes and CCC interviews but clicked the cross by accident and don't have the will power to type it out again right now, if you have any questions feel free to pm me though! Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Heyyy, i have an interview and Oxford Brookes coming up i was just wondering what you all taught, and what kinds of other things people taught? I was thinking about tissue paper flowers, and incorporating it into different learning styles??
    Also, what did they ask about the talk article??
    Lots of ideas will be very welcome thanks!!
    tasha x

ReputationRep:
    I had my interview at Brookes today, they asked what i thought the main ideas of the article were and if i'd see the methods of teaching in practice. The interview was really informal really, only asked about 4/5 questions. I messed up on my teahing task though! :-(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swilliams535)
    Hey I've had interviews for Canterbury Christ Church and Oxford Brookes and gotten into both

CCC interview was ok don't be really nervous just be yourself! Can't think of anything really to add to what the other girl said about it, except that (and this applies to both) you need to be really aware of your english the whole way through all the interviews 'cos they reaaaaaally do pay a lot of attention to it! For the group presentation thing we had to do a mind map saying about what made a good classroom, it was a pretty fun day in all honesty.

Hope it helped though!

Sian

Hi Sian,

Thank you for all your help. I have my Brookes interview on the 4th march and I am so nervous!! When do they give you the article you have to answer the questions on?? I am nervous about that now because I didnt know that was going to happen!! Have you heard back from them? Fingers crossed you got in! Your teaching task seems really fun!! Did everyone join in with you??

Thanks for your help!
    Katie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiemorgan4236)
    Hi Sian,

Thank you for all your help. I have my Brookes interview on the 4th march and I am so nervous!! When do they give you the article you have to answer the questions on?? I am nervous about that now because I didnt know that was going to happen!! Have you heard back from them? Fingers crossed you got in! Your teaching task seems really fun!! Did everyone join in with you??

Thanks for your help!
    Katie
    You should have been send the article with you letter about your interview.
    You do it in paired interviews (well we did on my day) we didnt get asked much about the article really, just have an opinion on the article but most people had hardly read it and we all crammed it just before the interviews.
    What are you doing for your teaching task? so many people did origami so try and stay away from that.
    Good Luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I have an interview for Winchester on Wednesday 3rd March. I have applied for two courses there, primary education with english and early years. I was wondering if anyone had been to a Winchester interview and had any tips? Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleighRoseJamieson92)
    Hiya ive applied at Brighton, Chicester, Nottingham Trent, Greenwich and Anglia Ruskin.
    Ive got interviews at Nottingham, Chicester and Brighton and im just wondering if anyone can help with what the interviews and questions are like?
    heyy have you heard from anglia ruskin?
    x

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.