Turn on thread page Beta

AQA Government and Politics Unit 1 January 2010 watch

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is the right thread but I'll try anyway.

Did anyone else do this exam today? If so how do you think you did?

Personally, I think it went quite well. Answered on Electoral Systems and Pressure Groups - the questions were quite good to me.

Really need at least 76 for an A overall (have 84 UMS from the Unit 2 exam last summer) - but hoping for 80+ UMS on this exam.

ReputationRep:
    I felt quite confident with it, I retook this because I wanted to make it higher also!
    I answered on political parties on pressure groups!
    I finished half an hour early though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimberleyJane)
    I felt quite confident with it, I retook this because I wanted to make it higher also!
    I answered on political parties on pressure groups!
    I finished half an hour early though!

Ah, depends how much you wrote for each bit

for a 5 marker I wrote a paragraph of around 8 lines
    for a 10 marker - 2 paragraphs of around 8 lines each
    for a 25 marker - 4 points (paragraph of around 8 or 9 lines for each point) and 1 conclusion paragraph

My philosophy: however many marks the question is worth do 1.5 times worth of lines, so for a 20 marker it would be 30 lines altogether.. etc etc

Also, how did you find the pressure group question? Thought the first part was a bit iffy, but the rest was alright, couldn't find many examples to put in though....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HpFreak_Amy7192)
    Ah, depends how much you wrote for each bit

for a 5 marker I wrote a paragraph of around 8 lines
    for a 10 marker - 2 paragraphs of around 8 lines each
    for a 25 marker - 4 points (paragraph of around 8 or 9 lines for each point) and 1 conclusion paragraph

My philosophy: however many marks the question is worth do 1.5 times worth of lines, so for a 20 marker it would be 30 lines altogether.. etc etc

Also, how did you find the pressure group question? Thought the first part was a bit iffy, but the rest was alright, couldn't find many examples to put in though....

Sounds like a good philosophy, I'm just not looking forward to the wait now!

I liked it actually, I'm just hoping I got my point across, I also managed to slate BNP so its a job well done in my opinion I also included Martin Luther King, haha!

What did you answer for B?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good philosophy, I'm just not looking forward to the wait now!

I liked it actually, I'm just hoping I got my point across, I also managed to slate BNP so its a job well done in my opinion I also included Martin Luther King, haha!

What did you answer for B?
    what was part B again? can't remember for the life of me.....

ReputationRep:
    I did question one and two - voting behaviour and electoral systems (well, those are the only ones we were taught; I'm not sure if some colleges teach all 4 topics, rather than just 2 and very thoroughly).

Thought voting behaviour one was ace, considering I hadn't done a great deal of revision (big brother + slumdog millionaire the night before ). Question 2 was a bit **** because that needed revision really. Didn't know what a quota was; I did know about STV a bit, its pros and cons etc. And for (c) I just wrote about all different types of electoral systems e.g SV in london mayor, closed list for UK european elections, and wrote what impacts they made (e.g under AMS for scottish parliament coalitions would be likely etc).

I'm hoping for a B anyway; an A would be nice but tbh lack of revision let me down I think. Oh well, I'm satisfied

ReputationRep:
    what was part B again? can't remember for the life of me.....
    I think it was list and explain two reasons why pressure groups have become more modernised or more popular. I can't really remember the wording!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben F)
    I did question one and two - voting behaviour and electoral systems (well, those are the only ones we were taught; I'm not sure if some colleges teach all 4 topics, rather than just 2 and very thoroughly).

Thought voting behaviour one was ace, considering I hadn't done a great deal of revision (big brother + slumdog millionaire the night before ). Question 2 was a bit **** because that needed revision really. Didn't know what a quota was; I did know about STV a bit, its pros and cons etc. And for (c) I just wrote about all different types of electoral systems e.g SV in london mayor, closed list for UK european elections, and wrote what impacts they made (e.g under AMS for scottish parliament coalitions would be likely etc).

I'm hoping for a B anyway; an A would be nice but tbh lack of revision let me down I think. Oh well, I'm satisfied
    Ouch! I didn't revise electoral at all, just the other 3. In our 6th form we went through them all, and we can choose to focus on the two we want!

Good luck anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I did the Edexcel one, and on that one the pressure group question wasn't fun :|.

Hope it went alright though, I blagged that question and the rest were fine (Y)

ReputationRep:
    I think it was list and explain two reasons why pressure groups have become more modernised or more popular. I can't really remember the wording!
    ah righty,think it was how has pressure group activity changed in recent years:

first point - different forms of activity - can be via the internet, including social networking sites (mentioned the Facebook campaign to stop Joe McElderry getting to number one, but said that strictly speaking it doesn't count as a pressure group campaign)

second point - more inclined to use direct action, can't remember my examples for this bit

ReputationRep:
    ah righty,think it was how has pressure group activity changed in recent years:

first point - different forms of activity - can be via the internet, including social networking sites (mentioned the Facebook campaign to stop Joe McElderry getting to number one, but said that strictly speaking it doesn't count as a pressure group campaign)

second point - more inclined to use direct action, can't remember my examples for this bit
    ah yes! my first point was how instead of just writing to MP's that you can instead now take your idea directly to E.U and international level

And second point was about the internet, social networking, youtube etc! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    ah yes! my first point was how instead of just writing to MP's that you can instead now take your idea directly to E.U and international level

And second point was about the internet, social networking, youtube etc! :yep:

Same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longy133)
    Same
    Ah lets hope we will both get an A then!

ReputationRep:
    Ah lets hope we will both get an A then!
    I hope so! My target grade is a D, so im not that optimistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longy133)
    I hope so! My target grade is a D, so im not that optimistic.

Aww! A D's still a pass so! What did you get before then?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone find it quite easy?

ReputationRep:
    anyone do edexcel? how did you find it? i answered Elections and Pressure Groups , i think it went okay , but the last question C was quite hard and didnt get tme to finish, it was about how pressure groups have aided political participation or something

anyone know how many marks roughly needed for a A this year? i know that last year was around 42 marks for A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super_Steven)
    anyone do edexcel? how did you find it? i answered Elections and Pressure Groups , i think it went okay , but the last question C was quite hard and didnt get tme to finish, it was about how pressure groups have aided political participation or something

anyone know how many marks roughly needed for a A this year? i know that last year was around 42 marks for A
    Yeah, I did those topics too. It'll probably be about 42-48/80 for an A depending on how everyone else has done.

For that question I wrote about how PGs offer a method of participation between the 5-year election period, participation for minority views that aren't represented in the party system, and how the activities they organise like petitions, marches etc. increase participation.

I found the 'criticisms of electoral systems' Q harder - only wrote about FPTP so i'll have to see what they think about that...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riiight.)
    Yeah, I did those topics too. It'll probably be about 42-48/80 for an A depending on how everyone else has done.

For that question I wrote about how PGs offer a method of participation between the 5-year election period, participation for minority views that aren't represented in the party system, and how the activities they organise like petitions, marches etc. increase participation.

I found the 'criticisms of electoral systems' Q harder - only wrote about FPTP so i'll have to see what they think about that...:rolleyes:
    yeah i wrote about that too, and how PR is complicated, coalition government seen as weak that sorta thing, i hope the boundaries dont go up to high

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super_Steven)
    yeah i wrote about that too, and how PR is complicated, coalition government seen as weak that sorta thing, i hope the boundaries dont go up to high
    Did you get that 'why have proportional representation methods increased since 1997?' (can't remember the exact wording).

I had no idea what they were getting at there...was it supposed to target New Labour?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 9, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.