Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How old is too old to have children? watch

Announcements

I'm a great fan of reading the obituaries in The Times and today there was one about a past Chief Medical Officer. Pretty standard. Led the fight against AIDS in the 1980s.

But then BAM. He go remarried in 2002, and had a kid with his new wife. Now, unfortunately, he has passed away. He was 83. This means he was in his late 70s when he fathered a child...

Is this too old? When are men "too old" to have kids? My father was 69 when he got my mum impregnated. People at school used to take the piss and I was a bit ashamed. But maybe it is more normal than I thought?

Anyone else have any similar experiences/thoughts on this?

Hope this helps x

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to have my first baby when I'm around 30. That is when I hope to have finished my education, be financially stable, mature and experienced enough for the responsibility but young enough to have the energy that playing with a child requires.
    Of course everyone is different and I'd say that if you have the time, money and stability and if you feel that it's the right time, than you're probably right about it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Gosh, so Donald Acheson has died.

It's an interesting question.

Clearly he didn't expect to live to see any children born reach middle age, but presumably he was happy with that. What young Acheson thinks, we'll probably never know. There is probably going to be an element of 'if he hadn't been a father at that age, I would never have been born, so...'

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would consider anything about 50 to be too old. It's different for everyone. I'd like to be able to relate my kids, and if I had a child when I was, say, 55, by the time they were a teenager, I'd be collecting my pension.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah nothing later than 50 as a guy really...

ReputationRep:
    I believe that you should only have children when you can provide a stable home for them - financially and emotionally. You can't do that if you're an old fogey about to drop dead.

I agree around 50 should be the highest age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vampyrcorn)
    I believe that you should only have children when you can provide a stable home for them - financially and emotionally. You can't do that if you're an old fogey about to drop dead.

I agree around 50 should be the highest age.
    you! I swear I haven't seen you for ages - you've been on tsr for a long time and posted a lot right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    you! I swear I haven't seen you for ages - you've been on tsr for a long time and posted a lot right
    YEP. I did use to post a lot.. way more than your measley -29.3 posts :p: but not really so much any more.. it started to freak me out a bit about how the same threads would reoccur all the time, people are so creepily similar online and the novelty of tsr wore off a bit, but occasionally I return for intensive TSR sessions when I want to have an all-night cyber overload.

I'm happy you remember me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vampyrcorn)
    YEP. I did use to post a lot.. way more than your measley -29.3 posts :p: but not really so much any more.. it started to freak me out a bit about how the same threads would reoccur all the time, people are so creepily similar online and the novelty of tsr wore off a bit, but occasionally I return for intensive TSR sessions when I want to have an all-night cyber overload.

I'm happy you remember me.
    It's your distinctive name lol!

And yes omg - the threads repeat themselves like crazy. Especially H&R eh? :p:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Hmm I dunno it's difficult to say because situations vary.

My best friend is 26 and her partner is in his early 60s (I forget how old exactly - 62-64 I believe) and they have just made the decision to have a child.
    She would miss out on being a mother if they didn't make this decision and it's something she wants more than anything in the world.
    Either that, or she'd have to leave the man she loves in order to have a child.

ReputationRep:
    When I was a gymnastics coach, we had these two girls who were about 10 and 12 with the oldest parents I think I have ever seen. I thought they were their grandparents for a long time - the father was about 65 and the mother about 60. And yet, they were some of the happiest, most secure kids I knew. They were clearly 'last hope' kind of children and as a result their parents really loved and appreciated having them.
    As long as you have the energy needed to look after a child and will live to see them into adulthood and independance, I think it is fine. My mother said she felt too old having my sister (the second of two) at 36, but clearly some people are able to deal with the demands of raising a child much later on.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how long you're gonna live and how long you gonna be healthy :p: But as nobody knows for sure what the future will bring then I guess there's no particular age limit tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Fertility goes down from age 30 so really the time when everyone starts wanting children is the time when you're going to find it harder to have one. I just find that weird. Ummm I think 40 is too old for women, it's so much more dangerous as there are more complications in pregnancy and rates of down syndrome go higher and higher as the parents get older... and I think about 45 for the man.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.