Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

what is the strongest IMF in H2S watch

ReputationRep:
    Well, is it VDW or Dipole-Dipole?

ReputationRep:
    Dipole-dipole.

I saw your thread ages ago but didn't reply because I couldn't understand the title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starofale)
    Dipole-dipole.

I saw your thread ages ago but didn't reply because I couldn't understand the title.
    Right...thats funny... InterMolecular Force
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Orihime)
    Right...thats funny... InterMolecular Force
    International Monetary Fund

ReputationRep:
    Yay, Dipole-dipole

Got that one right then. I was proper crapping myself in the exam before XD Kept crossing my answer out =/

ReputationRep:
    Crap! I got that one wrong then. Lol :/

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't it be Van Der Waal forces? Since Dipole-dipole only occurs between hydrogen and Fluorine, Oxygen, Nitrogen or Chlorine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MzExquisite)
    Wouldn't it be Van Der Waal forces? Since Dipole-dipole only occurs between hydrogen and Fluorine, Oxygen, Nitrogen or Chlorine?
    Those are hydrogen bonds, which are different to dipole-dipole forces.. right?

ReputationRep:
    I wrote dipole-dipole, then van der waals...but I think it's wrong -_-
    I only wrote van der waals because one of the other questions asked why the boiling point of the compounds increased. =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doginthesky)
    Those are hydrogen bonds, which are different to dipole-dipole forces.. right?
    Hydrogen bonding = permanent dipole-dipole

(i think that is right :ninja: )

Hydrogen bonding

ReputationRep:
    Dipole-Dipole there are also VDW forces in H2S but they are obviously not as strong.

ReputationRep:
    van der Waals are temporary induced dipole-dipoles. Dipole-Dipoles are permanent charge seperations. And Hydrogen bonding is a special case of dipole-dipole bonding that only appears in HF, HN and HO molecules due to the large difference in electronegativities. And yeah the strongest Intermolecular Force in H2S is Dipole-Dipole. Too bad I put vdW, I didn't really think about it too much =/.

ReputationRep:
    it's defo dipole-dipole. I put vdW, but it's not the STRONGEST IMF. So that's one mark lost :/

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3220800AAclnqa
    http://taylord.people.cofc.edu/Inter...20homework.pdf ------>Q25(B)

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay then, yeh i wrote van der waal forces as well .
    Oh well, i'm just glad that that's over now!

ReputationRep:
    I put VdW too. Which is wrong... BUT, as they didn't give us any electronegativity values, and we don't need to memorise any... we might get the mark (according to my teacher) fingers crossed eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadio)
    I put VdW too. Which is wrong... BUT, as they didn't give us any electronegativity values, and we don't need to memorise any... we might get the mark (according to my teacher) fingers crossed eh?

My teacher also said it was VDW :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Its permanent dipole-permanent dipole (or dipole-dipole) because the S is partially negative, due to electronegativity. Thats the strongest force of attraction.

Van Der Waal (or Instantaneous Dipole-Induced Dipole) if you're on a course like salters will also happen but its not as strong as dipole-dipole.

It's NOT hydrogen bonding. You don't get h-bonding in any of the 'dihydrides' (is that the right term, for H2X) apart from H2O.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty stupid question if they didnt give electronegativity values or ask you to memorize anything...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    International Monetary Fund

What's the Strongest International Monetary Fund ...?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.