Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering whether anyone has recieved an email inviting them to an induction meeting for students in their local area (23rd Jan)? If not, has anyone ever been to one - how many people usually go, what's it like?

From the email it seems to consist of a 1 hour session with a talk, and the chance to meet other students. I don't know if this is to meet tutors as well though? I'm not sure whether to go, although I would like to meet people. Are the meetings course-specific?

X

ReputationRep:
    Nope...I'm starting in Feb and I haven't got anything like this! Although, that slightly relieves me, as meeting all the people in my area before I've even started my studies sounds a bit scary :o:

ReputationRep:
    I did not get one, it might be course specific or it could be region specific, the local HQs all work independently of each other so some may offer this while others don't.

Personally I'd probably pass on it, unless it was specifically regarding super important course info. I don't think that's antisocial

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, me either

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, well apparently they used to send it out by post, but they're trying it by email. In it, it said:

"WHAT? New Students' survival guide; find your way around the system; pick up the jargon;
    Tips for study; meet other students and experienced tutors; where to get help."

Doesn't sound essential to me. And it doesn't say meeting your specific tutor, I'd have thought that would be seperate. If I knew who was going and what to expect I probably would! I'm anti-social (...and a bit lazy)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah....sounds like a lot of unnecessary effort to be fair!

ReputationRep:
    hi i havent recieved any emails either, but then i live in cornwall and there probably are no other students in this area studying U116 like me! With the rubbish hours i do at work i doubt il be able to attend any tutorials!

ReputationRep:
    I received this email a few weeks ago after signing up for A215 Creative Writing:

We would like to invite you to a free Creative Writing taster workshop hosted by The Open University on Monday 8th February 2010.

An Open University Creative Writing tutor will help you to explore some of the skills, methods and approaches involved in writing fiction, poetry, autobiography or biography. The workshops will be themed around the collections in the Museum of Croydon.

The venue of the workshop will be :

Croydon Central Library
    Level Two
    Croydon Clocktower
    Katharine Street
    Croydon
    CR9 1ET

11am to 1pm and 2pm to 4pm
    Monday 8th February 2010

Tickets are limited so if you would like to come please contact Ray Wheeler at The Open University in London on 020 7556 6184 or email [email protected]

Please also note that this event is taking place as part of an Advice Day at Croydon Central Library and Open University advisers will be available from 11am to 6.30pm to provide information and advice about Open University courses.

The Open University In London

ReputationRep:
    See that looks a bit more like it, an actual course related one.

Although it doesn't open with "WHAT?!" which is a little disappointing.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, very true. I got another one this morning, but this was aimed at people over 25 (they'd also sent this to me previously):

'If you are new to OU study, and are aged 25 or over, we would like to welcome you to studying with the OU by inviting you to a large induction meeting from 10.30am to 1pm at...' '...on Saturday 23 January 2010.(If you are under 25 years old on 23rd January you will be sent an invitation to a different meeting for younger students.)'

'The large induction meeting will be led by an Adviser, not your tutor. It will not deal with course specific matters but rather will introduce you to the OU system of supported open learning, and sources of help in addition to that provided by your tutor. The meeting will try to address any concerns or questions which you may have about studying with the OU. We will also look at issues such as time management. There will be an input on the OU Careers Service; and demonstrations of our e mail and conferencing system and of the student website, Student Home.'

'You may, depending on your course,receive an invitation to an additional, course specific meeting held on the afternoon of 23rd.'

Etc etc. Doesn't sound very exciting...

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh. Maybe they think the under 25s are too young and hip for such events :P Just kidding haha.

ReputationRep:
    Haha maybe... If they'd advertised disco balls, lasers and alcohol instead of tea and coffee, that would be a different story!

ReputationRep:
    Disco balls, lasers and alcohol is the recipe for a great night... or a recipe for many blinded, some hair set on fire.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't received anything like that...I don't exactly live in a big city or anything though.

ReputationRep:
    Well my tutor lives in Scotland and I live in cornwall! So dont really see me going to any tutorials for my course!

ReputationRep:
    Haha that's quite extreme Rachel, I though they give you local tutors or something? Hmm, who knows. I wonder when I'll hear about mine...

ReputationRep:
    Your tutor details should be on the course website by now, though not that many of them seem to put their address up these days.

ReputationRep:
    Can't find any info on the course website, where exactly do I look? :l I'm assuming I have to just wait for them to contact me.

ReputationRep:
    It should be on the Course Website & Record page, under "Tutor". Maybe it hasn't been finalised for your course yet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunburnedCactus)
    Your tutor details should be on the course website by now, though not that many of them seem to put their address up these days.
    The address isn't up for one of my tutors and we have to post them our TMA's. I don't think someone has thought this through!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.