Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, because i've got like five different answers over the last week when i phone them, i need some help.

I went to university last year (sept), didn't get a grant but got one payment of my loan. I left early enough that i had no tuition fees to pay either. I had a notification through to say i wasn't entitled to all of that money (which i knew) and then it said they would contact me if i needed to repay anything. Which four weeks later, they haven't done.

So i was wondering, will this have to be paid back soon? I'm definitely going to university in september, and i have no income at the moment.

So will this loan money just be added onto the debt i have at the end of my new three year course when i'm earning over 15k?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    what were the conditions it was lent to you under?
    Do they still apply?
    Do you think you are now entitled to keep it?

ReputationRep:
    Weird questions. I already said i was overpayed, so obviously i'm not entitled to keep it. But student finance keep telling me different things. The general answer when i phone is that because i only recieved the loan and i'm not working at the moment, it's added to my debt at the end of my new course. But then one of the people i spoke to said that they would take a monthly payment (which would be alright) and then went off and didn't come back on the phone. Then i phoned again and they said it didn't have to be paid back.

Argh.

ReputationRep:
    you need to work on the basis that the people on the phone don't know what they are talkng about believe me!

ReputationRep:
    But how do i pay anything back then even if it was to be a monthly thing? Argh, this is so annoying. They said i'd get my funding for the next three years, so that's sorted. I just don't understand why they can't make up their mind on this!

ReputationRep:
    you can pay anything back at any time. You can find out how viayour online account t SLC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    you can pay anything back at any time. You can find out how viayour online account t SLC.
    Thanks, i didn't know that! It says;

Loan Type Interest Calculated To Balance Scheduled Monthly Payment
    Income Contingent 31/12/2009 £1,176.12 £0.00

So i'm guessing it is the 15k thing. But i'll wait for any other letters from student finance and probably arrange a monthly thing too if they'll let me. The SLC website only gives option to pay an amount back by debit/credit card and i have neither.

ReputationRep:
    but don't forget that is on the assumption you are at university and haven't left.
    And you can pay by cheque. I've done it twice.

ReputationRep:
    but don't forget that is on the assumption you are at university and haven't left.
    And you can pay by cheque. I've done it twice.
    They already know i've left, and have known since late Nov. And i know that whenever i start earning 15k, i'll have to start paying back (Whether that's after my next uni course or not, depending on how things go)

I don't have a cheque book either, Nationwide is a rubbish bank. Probably because it's a building society, they don't like to hand those things out or give debit cards or have a student account. The person i spoke to that one time on the phone said they could set up a monthly direct debit, but then she went and everyone else has the other answer (that it doesn't have to be paid back yet so i need to stop phoning lol)

ReputationRep:
    everyone else has the other answer (that it doesn't have to be paid back yet so i need to stop phoning

OK only hear what you want to hear!
    Love to hear their response to "your but everyone on TSR said it was ok!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizabeffy)
    Ok, because i've got like five different answers over the last week when i phone them, i need some help.

I went to university last year (sept), didn't get a grant but got one payment of my loan. I left early enough that i had no tuition fees to pay either. I had a notification through to say i wasn't entitled to all of that money (which i knew) and then it said they would contact me if i needed to repay anything. Which four weeks later, they haven't done.

So i was wondering, will this have to be paid back soon? I'm definitely going to university in september, and i have no income at the moment.

So will this loan money just be added onto the debt i have at the end of my new three year course when i'm earning over 15k?

Thanks
    Once SFE get the information from your university and have a confirmed date of last attendance they will recalculate your loan entitlement.

Any loan that you have been overpaid the collections department will write to you and will ask for the total overpayment back in one go.

When you get that letter, you call them and advise you are skint but are willing to pay them back in monthly instalments.

Set up a direct debit with them and everything will be OK

When you go in September you will get your full entitlement whether or not you have cleared your debt.

These are the facts. It is a shame the call centre cannot convey this information to you correctly, but there you go.

There are three things I can think of that could be holding this process up:

1. You have not officially told your university that you have withdrawn
    2. Your university have not send an official withdrawal form to SFE
    3. SFE have the withdrawal form but have not processed it yet.

You could get the ball rolling by ringing your university and asking them if they have informed SFE of your withdrawal yet.

ReputationRep:
    everyone else has the other answer (that it doesn't have to be paid back yet so i need to stop phoning

OK only hear what you want to hear!
    Love to hear their response to "your but everyone on TSR said it was ok!"
    Haha, THEY don't keep telling me to stop phoning! (That would be rude) I mean but there's no point in me phoning if all they're telling me is it'll be taken back when i'm earning 15k is there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neo_2009)
    Once SFE get the information from your university and have a confirmed date of last attendance they will recalculate your loan entitlement.

Any loan that you have been overpaid the collections department will write to you and will ask for the total overpayment back in one go.

When you get that letter, you call them and advise you are skint but are willing to pay them back in monthly instalments.

Set up a direct debit with them and everything will be OK

When you go in September you will get your full entitlement whether or not you have cleared your debt.

These are the facts. It is a shame the call centre cannot convey this information to you correctly, but there you go.

There are three things I can think of that could be holding this process up:

1. You have not officially told your university that you have withdrawn
    2. Your university have not send an official withdrawal form to SFE
    3. SFE have the withdrawal form but have not processed it yet.

You could get the ball rolling by ringing your university and asking them if they have informed SFE of your withdrawal yet.
    Thanks! Definitely the top two of those things have been done and i had a letter through a few weeks ago that said what i was entitled to for the time i was at university and then said 'we will contact you if you have been overpaid' (which i have since i didn't stay there the whole term) but that's it. So they know i've withdrawn, i told them the week after i left which was months ago now, they're just not collecting the money. When i phone and tell them about the overpayment, because i still have some of it, they say i don't have to pay back the loan until i'm earning 15k but if i qualified for a grant i would have to give that back. But i didn't qualify for a grant.

This is so confusing!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, it is confusing. I have to call SLC every day in my job and I still get told different things about the loan!

It used to be only grants they would ask for back, then a few years ago (2006 I think) they changed their procedure and started asking for overpaid loans back as well.

However, I have only seen it happen in a number of cases, not in every case and I have never been able to work out why.

Probably best to keep it in a safe place for a couple of months. If the SLC collections department have not written to you by then I guess they are not going to collect it and will just stick it on your total student loan account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASCIIcipher)
    Yep, it is confusing. I have to call SLC every day in my job and I still get told different things about the loan!

It used to be only grants they would ask for back, then a few years ago (2006 I think) they changed their procedure and started asking for overpaid loans back as well.

However, I have only seen it happen in a number of cases, not in every case and I have never been able to work out why.

Probably best to keep it in a safe place for a couple of months. If the SLC collections department have not written to you by then I guess they are not going to collect it and will just stick it on your total student loan account.
    Yep, i'll do that so at least i can pay some if they ask

When i originally wrote to them with the change of cirumstances form, i did mention that i had to pay for my term's rent with some of the loan, so they might've decided to be nice. Who knows.

Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizabeffy)
    Yep, i'll do that so at least i can pay some if they ask

When i originally wrote to them with the change of cirumstances form, i did mention that i had to pay for my term's rent with some of the loan, so they might've decided to be nice. Who knows.

Thanks for your help!
    If you appeal on the grounds of financial hardship then SFE do have discretion to manually override the software which we all use to process applications and award you full loan and grant for the whole term.

This does not happen often (you would pretty much have to beg for it) so I doubt that is the case. I may be wrong though.

Do you know how much you have been paid in total this year and what does your latest financial notification show has been awarded to you following your withdrawal?

If the financial notification is lower I am afraid you will have been overpaid and SLC may ask for it back soon.

You could always write an appeal and say you still have financial obligations (i.e. rent) and send proof (e.g. your rent contract) and ask if the can reassess your award to give you the full term of loan.

LEAs and SFE are are allowed to do this (it is in the student support regulations) it is just that they do not make it common knowledge.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.