Turn on thread page Beta

Homesick and lonely watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my second year and incredibly homesick. I just got back to uni today and already i've been in a right state. Has anyone else felt like this and how did you cope? My flatmates never want to do anything, not even eat dinner together, and often I have complete days with no lectures. My life seems to be work and nothing else, yet at home I have loads of friends. I have got to the stage where I associate being in my room with feeling this bad and I panic whenever I have to spend a day/evening in. Each hour seems to crawl and all I do is sit around on the internet and feel depressed / panicy things will never get better. Any advice please

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i'm only in my first year- but since coming back for the second term I have felt similar.
    I have just planned my visits home this term already- So I have something to look forward too.
    Did you feel like this in your first year? Or is it something new...?
    Just try and stay strong- but overall do what is right for you, and if that means transferring to a uni closer to home then go for it.
    Your grades will suffer i'm sure if you aren't happy.

ReputationRep:
    Did you feel like this last year?
    Try to sit next to new people in lectures and do your best to get to know them - you'll end up with new friends sooner than you think! Perhaps you could join a club or society? That way you will meet new people and have somewhere to go to.
    I really hope you'll feel better soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mouseinahouse)
    I have got to the stage where I associate being in my room with feeling this bad and I panic whenever I have to spend a day/evening in.
    This worries me. If you leave this alone you could start having serious panic attacks, I would firstly suggest seeing someone so they can help you disassociate your room from bad feelings.

My flatmates never want to do anything, not even eat dinner together, and often I have complete days with no lectures.
    I have a similar problem and it is VERY hard to deal with, perhaps suggest cooking a roast together one sunday or something like that? Or organising a mini-dinner party where one person brings pudding, another main, another drinks etcetc. If you're in second year I presume you chose to live together so maybe you need to try and find what made you want to live with eachother again?

often I have complete days with no lectures.
    Is the city you live in nice? You could take yourself off into the city, have a look around. If you go to places/do things that interest you you might even find people there who have similar interests. Even something like going to the gym at the same time each day will help you find new people who you might get on better with. Or what I do when I have nothing to do is give myself a project, for example can you redecorate your room?! You'll be so busy planning that you'll forget about your troubles for a while.

Most of all I would say don't blame yourself! If you have loads of friends at home you are obviously someone who's likeable so maybe you've just been unlucky and need to make that bit more effort? I know it's hard and demoralising everytime something doesn't work out but there's a chance you'll come out stronger because of it.

I hope you're okay *hugs*

ReputationRep:
    Know that your not alone, I'm in my first year and am finding it tough being away from my friends and family. My flatmates tend to do there own thing too and it seems that everyone else I meet is doing things with their own flatmates! Its really hard but perhaps it's some comfort that your definitely not the only one. Also, if you anxious to the point of feeling ill then go to the doctors and they can put you on something for it. I struggled with anxiety for over a year before I had the courage to see someone about it but it can really help :-)

ReputationRep:
    ok

ReputationRep:
    I feel very similar to the original post, I just don't seem to be happy at Uni, It's not the course, it's the social side.

Before I started I expected it to be a really sociable time where I'd make lots of new friends immediately, i know that sounds naive. My coursemates are nice enough and there is a small group of us so you'd expect us all to be friendly but I just feel like an outsider as everyone seems really relaxed around one another and they go out and do things together reguarly but I just feel different to them, less exciteable, so because Im quiet people tend to just avoid me. I live in a very quiet flat, I am close with one of my flatmates but she is having a tough time too so if anything we kind of just both mope about. I dont know what to do. I feel like my confidence has been knocked and I just dont even have the energy to go and do anything about it, like go along to societies or whatever, but I am quite unhappy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tootsletoot)
    I feel very similar to the original post, I just don't seem to be happy at Uni, It's not the course, it's the social side.

Before I started I expected it to be a really sociable time where I'd make lots of new friends immediately, i know that sounds naive. My coursemates are nice enough and there is a small group of us so you'd expect us all to be friendly but I just feel like an outsider as everyone seems really relaxed around one another and they go out and do things together reguarly but I just feel different to them, less exciteable, so because Im quiet people tend to just avoid me. I live in a very quiet flat, I am close with one of my flatmates but she is having a tough time too so if anything we kind of just both mope about. I dont know what to do. I feel like my confidence has been knocked and I just dont even have the energy to go and do anything about it, like go along to societies or whatever, but I am quite unhappy.
    sorry bud , you need to help yourself , negative actions with see negative conclusions , just try to be abit more postive about things.

If you want happyness in life you have to fight for it.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.