Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

what happens if you fail a unit in first year?... watch

...but pass the rest? I'm doing a maths degree and it's all pretty straight forward except the all dreaded statistics, i'm sitting here with coursework in front of me with no idea what to do & it's in for tomorow & am wondering if it's worth bothering with statistics at all, the time might be spent better elsewhere...

It depends on the weight that this particular unit holds for your first year. If you do well on everything else though, you should pass overall.

well read your deparment handbook regulations thingy

the way it usually works is if you fail you have resits, and if you fail them you resit the year or continue into 2nd year but sit the failed subject aswell as "examination only"

In my course if you get a D, you pass. So if i get D's in everything i get to proceed into the next year, or achieve the minimum required GPA. But if you fail i would think you would have to resit it. If you fail and then dont resit, you would be refused credit and therefore not allowed to proceed into 2nd year unless you appeal.

At least thats the way it works in my uni. As i said, see if your department has a regulations handbook online and read that.

depends on the unit/degree!

if it's a prerequisite, you obviously can't move on directly to the next part of your degree. you'd have to arrange a way to repeat it...which can be tedious.

but don't despair just yet! jump in tomorrow and try your best, you never know what might happen.

Dunno about your uni, but at Durham if you fail any modules in May/June you resit in August. If you end up with only one failed module you're transferred to the "ordinary" as opposed to the "honours" programme, and if you fail more than one you get kicked out basically. But that's just Durham, probably different at other unis.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.