The Student Room Group

dislike eye contact/straign at face when speaking

i dont mean due to nerves or shyness or being scared etc

But does anyone else just hate eye contact

Like today soem girl was speaking with me and just staring at my face and eyes the whole tiem and talking for ages

I find this quite freaky and sort of rude?

When I speak with people for a long time rather than a brief sentence I will make gestures and look away or not continualy look at their eyes or face...It a bit intense

I just don tlike it

even famly members...I hate speaking wiht my mother or friends for long periods and looking at each other

One of my mates just stares in your eyes whilst you are speaking and he is spaeking its just freaky

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Absolutely the same!
When I look a person in the eyes, I think that I am rude, not to mention that I cannot follow all the things she/he is telling me about. Im just too focused on the stupid eyes.
I hate it too but mainly because I'm self conscious lol .
Reply 3
yeh well i always had acne sicne young so i still got some and a few scars so i am consious of my skin and can only imagine people seeing all that crap on my skin and balckheads on my nose so thats a part of it also
haha, i only find this to be true with one particular geography teacher who will stare at you for about 5 minutes whilst not blinking. I don't understand how her eyes don't get dry
Reply 5
I like keeping eye contact, looking into a girls eyes that you like is great when you're speaking to them.
Reply 6
I have exactly the same problem. I always find even if I try to keep eye contact with someone it seems almost confrontational if you both hold eye contact for too long, so I always find myself looking away. No one's ever commented on it though, so I don't see it as an issue. I can hold eye contact when I really need to, interview situations etc, however I feel myself get progessively uncomfortable. Not a very nice feeling!
Gosh I can't stand people who don't give eye contact when talking. Comes across as really unconfident and uninterested.

You don't need to go to the extreme of staring intently for minutes on end, but looking at someone while they're talking is normal!
Reply 8
Like today this real hot girl 9/10 at least was talking to me and just stared at me so I was kinda straign back but I just kept thinking off snogging her as we were starign at each other so long...it was really weird

Like only ever look at a hot girl liek that long if u gonna kiss her
Reply 9
scarfaced
i dont mean due to nerves or shyness or being scared etc

But does anyone else just hate eye contact

Like today soem girl was speaking with me and just staring at my face and eyes the whole tiem and talking for ages

I find this quite freaky and sort of rude?

When I speak with people for a long time rather than a brief sentence I will make gestures and look away or not continualy look at their eyes or face...It a bit intense

I just don tlike it

even famly members...I hate speaking wiht my mother or friends for long periods and looking at each other

One of my mates just stares in your eyes whilst you are speaking and he is spaeking its just freaky

I find myself talking more to a person if they hold eye contact, if they're looking somewhere else most of the time, I just think they're not really interested. When I couldn't care less about what someone is telling me, I tend to have minimum eye contact. Also, it's easier to get a sense of the person's mood/emotions towards a particular subject if you hold eye contact I've found..
Reply 10
Eye contact is one of the main thing that interviewers will look for and notice. Shows confidence and intrest. Body language is something that is important. When public speaking it helps to make eye contact now and again, as well as all the other norms, not slouching etc.
scarfaced
Like today this real hot girl 9/10 at least was talking to me and just stared at me so I was kinda straign back but I just kept thinking off snogging her as we were starign at each other so long...it was really weird

Lmfao hahahahahha

And yeah, I hateeeee eye contact. :nothing: Especially when the other person is staring at you like O____O its just awkward as ****.
Reply 12
Jizz in her eye so she can't see you. :yy:

Sorted. :ninja:
Reply 13
Yea i'm like that, i don't like looking at people straight in the eye when i'm talking to them, but i don't mind them looking at me when they're talking. Had to practise talking to people and keeping eye contact before my interviews, was a nightmare..
BrightGirl
Gosh I can't stand people who don't give eye contact when talking. Comes across as really unconfident and uninterested.

You don't need to go to the extreme of staring intently for minutes on end, but looking at someone while they're talking is normal!

:ditto:
Yeah I am the same - it makes me feel odd

I dont think i do it with family though
Reply 16
I have the same feeling if im talking to someone who i dont know that well i reckon it might creep them out :s-smilie: unless im at a interveiw or something important then i will keep eye contact, but if im with friends or family i guess i feel relaxed with it and dont realise :smile:
Well I can look people in the eye but I have this new problem of having some sort of mini panic attack and I turn bright red. But I still keep talking :smile:

Also, apparently you can look at the top of someone's nose, and they can't tell you're not looking them in the eye. May help with your disliking of eye contact?
Reply 18
i do like the idea of eye contact but i get so nervous and can never maintain eye contact no matter how hard i try! :angry:
Reply 19
scarfaced

Did you get a boner and were like oh **** need to hide it!

Latest

Trending

Trending