Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello - I am an undergraduate in my final year. Since I stayed at home for most of my studies I now feel that I have kind of missed out on 'the university experience'... would I be able to make up for this by doing a masters? I have even been considering doing a second BA, though I would have limited choice in terms of the courses that receive funding.

Since I am on target for a first (provided I can make up for a couple of 2.1 essays handed in last semester ), I should be ok to do a masters. I would look at doing a modern European history course at Cambridge and KCL, or a creative writing MA at UEA, RHUL, St. Andrews.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by stickpin)
    Hello - I am an undergraduate in my final year. Since I stayed at home for most of my studies I now feel that I have kind of missed out on 'the university experience'... would I be able to make up for this by doing a masters? I have even been considering doing a second BA, though I would have limited choice in terms of the courses that receive funding.

Since I am on target for a first (provided I can make up for a couple of 2.1 essays handed in last semester ), I should be ok to do a masters. I would look at doing a modern European history course at Cambridge and KCL, or a creative writing MA at UEA, RHUL, St. Andrews.
    If that's your only motivation for wanting to do an MA, it probably isn't such a bright idea (unless you have money to burn).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    If that's your only motivation for wanting to do an MA, it probably isn't such a bright idea (unless you have money to burn).
    :ditto: and tbh postgrad life with regards to university experience is very different to that of an undergrad. It's a very lonely business for most of the time, especially if you're an Arts student given the individual focus of the subjects. My late nights in halls during my MA included proof reading people's work and playing scrabble. No wild parties and drunken nights

I didn't do my BA in halls but did do my MA away from home (partly because my undergrad uni didn't offer the course I wanted) and whilst yes I can say I've done the living away from home bit and I don't regret it, that 'university experience' really isn't all that it's cracked up to be for 90% of the time. I wanted to do an MA long before I thought about going away from home etc so my reasons were there.

Doing an MA JUST to get the university experience is probably not the best thing to do. They're not the easiest years anyway and if your heart's not in it for the academic side, then it'll be even worse.

If you're looking at applying for this September, you might have missed the Cambridge deadline - can't 100% remember when it was/is . Also are you thinking of getting funding or using your own money? As that's a hell of a lot of money just to get away from home.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly is the university experience, anyway? My sister, who is a full-time hairdresser, and still lives at home with my mam, goes out far more than I do, and I have lived away for four years...

If you a history student I am unsure what makes you think you could do a creative writing course at RHUL or UEA, seeing as they are (as far as I am aware) the two most competitive courses in the country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    If you a history student
    They might be doing a joint course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    They might be doing a joint course
    That did not cross my mind at all; epic fail!

*hides*

ReputationRep:
    Wanting to study a masters because you "missed out on the university experience" isn't a good reason to undertake one, tbh. Studying at the postgraduate level is a significant step up from the undergraduate level and you may find, esp given the workload, that you won't be able to have a uni experience like an undergrad fresher.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: and tbh postgrad life with regards to university experience is very different to that of an undergrad. It's a very lonely business for most of the time, especially if you're an Arts student given the individual focus of the subjects. My late nights in halls during my MA included proof reading people's work and playing scrabble. No wild parties and drunken nights
    I agree that postgrad life may be a bit more lonely and harder work, but im not sure telling the OP there's basically no fun to be had is completely true :confused: . I havent yet got there myself, but i currently have a lot of PG friends, plus my sister, who have had and are having a good time.

OP - like everyone's said, you need to actually want to do the MA. But, in my opinion, yes, you will most likely have a good 'uni experience' if you decide to do it and i understand how that can be a big reason for you wanting to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wawee)
    I agree that postgrad life may be a bit more lonely and harder work, but im not sure telling the OP there's basically no fun to be had is completely true :confused: . I havent yet got there myself, but i currently have a lot of PG friends, plus my sister, who have had and are having a good time.
    Like I say - just my own and those who I lived with experiences of our MA year. We had far too much work to be doing on the whole to be out partying all the time

Our good times were having a quiet drink in the local pub type which is slightly different to those experiences commonly found at undergrad level, which is what the OP I believe has missed out on. I never said there wasn't any fun, it's just in a more quieter way. And I don't think it's wrong to say that postgrad life IS different to that of an undergrad so for the OP to be going in with the 'i must get the experience i missed out on at undergraduate level' they may well be surprised that it doesn't always live up to the stereotypical ideas and images that seem to portray university life.

But I guess it all depends on who you live with for a start...

ETS: also having done my MA at one of the OP's potential choices, I can honestly say that the social side on campus and in the surrounding area left much to be desired! So perhaps location and campus facilities come into it too?

ReputationRep:
    Like I say - just my own and those who I lived with experiences of our MA year. We had far too much work to be doing on the whole to be out partying all the time

Our good times were having a quiet drink in the local pub type which is slightly different to those experiences commonly found at undergrad level, which is what the OP I believe has missed out on. I never said there wasn't any fun, it's just in a more quieter way. And I don't think it's wrong to say that postgrad life IS different to that of an undergrad so for the OP to be going in with the 'i must get the experience i missed out on at undergraduate level' they may well be surprised that it doesn't always live up to the stereotypical ideas and images that seem to portray university life.

ETS: also having done my MA at one of the OP's potential choices, I can honestly say that the social side on campus and in the surrounding area left much to be desired! So perhaps location and campus facilities come into it too?
    Yeah you are right - the PG and UG experience shouldnt be viewed as equivalents, or even nearly equivalent. But im sure he'll find time for the odd wild party :p: , maybe!

ReputationRep:

All unis are different, some are bound to have a better scene than others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigermoth99)
    It's disconnected from the rest of the postgraduates and a lot of people on the course don't live on campus or go there often. Most tend to live in London or the surrounding areas and tend to remain in their own areas.
    But I presume in response to the OP - they'd be looking at uni accommodation for that experience they've missed out on

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in the academic side as well... although obviously that will not apply with a creative writing MA... I am doing an English BA. My personal supervisor wants me to do creative writing (this is because he has little belief in academia) as I have started to get poetry published in magazines and would like to write a collection. Part of me is sceptical about creative writing: you can either do it or you can't, BUT it would be nice to have the time to work on a collection.

My plan for now is to work a couple of years before doing an MA, whichever course I choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stickpin)
    I'm interested in the academic side as well... although obviously that will not apply with a creative writing MA... I am doing an English BA. My personal supervisor wants me to do creative writing (this is because he has little belief in academia) as I have started to get poetry published in magazines and would like to write a collection. Part of me is sceptical about creative writing: you can either do it or you can't, BUT it would be nice to have the time to work on a collection.

My plan for now is to work a couple of years before doing an MA, whichever course I choose.
    I am an English student too and I share your pessimism with regards to creative writing (I am/was more interested in journalism to be honest); I studied it as an elective for two years until dropping it for a philosophy unit, which is far more useful, this year. Perhaps, try and find a research programme that is interdisciplinary enough to allow you to incorporate creative writing with your interest in history. For example, the research programme at Lancaster I applied for will allow you to study languages, linguistics, literature, history and politics, with a European slant.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.