Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How is it rated? I am currently in the decision of choosing my firm and my insurance so any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Quite good. Depends where else you've applied and your grades I suppose. It's the only university in Scotland where you can do a joint Scots Law/English Law course, which is quite useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadigmShift)
    Quite good. Depends where else you've applied and your grades I suppose. It's the only university in Scotland where you can do a joint Scots Law/English Law course, which is quite useful.
    Yes, I have applied to Edinburgh University and Herriot Watt (HW was backup, as it isn't even a qualifying law degree, it is Finance and Business Law). I have recieved offers from all and the requirements are all doable so I don't have a problem with that, kind of, however I do intend on practising law in England at some point in the future, however I am willing to do the GDL if Edinburgh is really that much better repuation-wise compared to Dundee, so that i'd have a good degree and be able to work in England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawIsBraw)
    Yes, I have applied to Edinburgh University and Herriot Watt (HW was backup, as it isn't even a qualifying law degree, it is Finance and Business Law). I have recieved offers from all and the requirements are all doable so I don't have a problem with that, kind of, however I do intend on practising law in England at some point in the future, however I am willing to do the GDL if Edinburgh is really that much better repuation-wise compared to Dundee, so that i'd have a good degree and be able to work in England.
    If you're willing to do the GDL and spend an extra year - which really isn't that much in the end - then I'd definitely go for Edinburgh. I love Dundee, family's from there, but in purely pragmatic terms Edinburgh is quite frankly just a better university. I'd firm Edinburgh and put Dundee as your insurance, but in the end it's up to you. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadigmShift)
    If you're willing to do the GDL and spend an extra year - which really isn't that much in the end - then I'd definitely go for Edinburgh. I love Dundee, family's from there, but in purely pragmatic terms Edinburgh is quite frankly just a better university. I'd firm Edinburgh and put Dundee as your insurance, but in the end it's up to you. :yes:

Thank you for your response and your advise

Could anyone else perhaps put forward their input, just for some extra assurance. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your response and your advise

Could anyone else perhaps put forward their input, just for some extra assurance. :p:
    I'd also say go for Edinburgh, I personally didn't fancy doing the GDL or I would've applied and hoped to have gone there myself

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to Dundee for Law, the dual qualifying degree...it is relatively high for law, despite the grade requirements being BBB. That's why it will be my insurance, although personally, university wise, I'd prefer Edinburgh, especially if you're willing to do the GDL! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helz_91)
    I've applied to Dundee for Law, the dual qualifying degree...it is relatively high for law, despite the grade requirements being BBB. That's why it will be my insurance, although personally, university wise, I'd prefer Edinburgh, especially if you're willing to do the GDL! x

Sorry, couldn't help but notice, your conditional offer of BBB? Erm, is that A-levels or what, because I am from Scotland and I got a conditional of ABBBB at Higher...

Also, how are you 18 and have a conditional? Shouldn't it be an unconditional? Because i'm 16 and have a conditional, or is it different in England?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, couldn't help but notice, your conditional offer of BBB? Erm, is that A-levels or what, because I am from Scotland and I got a conditional of ABBBB at Higher...

Also, how are you 18 and have a conditional? Shouldn't it be an unconditional? Because i'm 16 and have a conditional, or is it different in England?
    Hey, don't worry about it! Yeah BBB is for my A-Levels.
    I have a conditional, because I think in Scotland you go to uni a year earlier than in England (i.e. 17?!?!?)
    I'm in Year 13 and am one of the oldest so I'm probably just a year older than you, which would figure for application in 2010
    The only people who get unconditionals have deferred their entry and so would be 19, in England when they go to uni!
    Is Dundee your firm?! Insurance? x

ReputationRep:
    Hey, don't worry about it! Yeah BBB is for my A-Levels.
    I have a conditional, because I think in Scotland you go to uni a year earlier than in England (i.e. 17?!?!?)
    I'm in Year 13 and am one of the oldest so I'm probably just a year older than you, which would figure for application in 2010
    The only people who get unconditionals have deferred their entry and so would be 19, in England when they go to uni!
    Is Dundee your firm?! Insurance? x
    I'll probably choose it as my insurance and have Edinburgh as my firm, but the dilemma here is that extra year for the GDL, I mean there is so much more I could be doing in that year instead of further study, I could travel the world and maybe do some work experience to aid me when I start looking for work, ah decisions decisions, i'll need to think about it a bit more...

What about you? What have you chosen as your firm?

Thanks for your helpful reply btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Her offer of BBB translates into (our system) BBB/BBC at Advanced Higher or AAA at Higher level.
    AAA at Higher level, so basically an 'A' is equivelant to two 'B's, so it is the same offer as mine.

Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably choose it as my insurance and have Edinburgh as my firm, but the dilemma here is that extra year for the GDL, I mean there is so much more I could be doing in that year instead of further study, I could travel the world and maybe do some work experience to aid me when I start looking for work, ah decisions decisions, i'll need to think about it a bit more...

What about you? What have you chosen as your firm?

Thanks for your helpful reply btw
    You're welcome
    That sounds like a good plan.
    I know, well that's why I've chosen Dundee, solely because I want to work in England and I can't really afford to "waste" a year as I want to get cracking with earning money! Like you, there is so much that I could do with a spare year.
    But, saying that Edinburgh has a brilliant name, and the uni is important.
    It's a tough decision, just choose whatever suits you best!
    If it is Dundee that you go for, then hopefully I will see you there!!
    I haven't chosen my firm yet- I'm waiting to hear back from Bristol/Durham but I doubt I'll get an offer! As it stands Manchester would be my firm!
    Where else have you applied to?! x

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome
    That sounds like a good plan.
    I know, well that's why I've chosen Dundee, solely because I want to work in England and I can't really afford to "waste" a year as I want to get cracking with earning money! Like you, there is so much that I could do with a spare year.
    But, saying that Edinburgh has a brilliant name, and the uni is important.
    It's a tough decision, just choose whatever suits you best!
    If it is Dundee that you go for, then hopefully I will see you there!!
    I haven't chosen my firm yet- I'm waiting to hear back from Bristol/Durham but I doubt I'll get an offer! As it stands Manchester would be my firm!
    Where else have you applied to?! x
    Seeing you at Dundee would be great haha, you seem quite nice and very helpful, which is what i'll need if I leave my hometown :woo:

Heriot Watt and Glasgow, but to be honest, if I am going to go to a University that will only provide Scottish Law then I don't think i'll be considering Glasgow when I have Edinburgh, and Heriot Watt was really just a "backup" just incase I didn't recieve any offers, lol. Better to be on the safe side...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 14, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.