Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible to learn not to be arrogant? watch

ReputationRep:
    As those of you have read my first post will probably know, I come across as quite arrogant. For a long time I have consdered this to be an inexorable symptom of being academically bright. However, I have come to a point where I do not want to be percieved as arrogant anymore. Is there anyway I can learn to not be arrogant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    As those of you have read my first post will probably know, I come across as quite arrogant. For a long time I have consdered this to be an inexorable symptom of being academically bright. However, I have come to a point where I do not want to be percieved as arrogant anymore. Is there anyway I can learn to not be arrogant?
    Not nessesarily, modesty usually avoids this.

I guess it takes a long time to break old habits. I would say thats it a matter of making a consious effort to be more considerate of others opinions. I think its admirable that you have recognised and want to chnage a trait in yourself that you dont like.

ReputationRep:
    you can start by changing your sig it looks very arrogant

ReputationRep:
    I used to have the exact same problem of arrogance. I used to judge people a lot purely based on first impressions and their appearance. Though once I decided that that wasn't how I wanted to be, and got to know those people better, I realised that my arrogance and feelings of superiority were completely unfounded, and now I considered myself a reformed person!

ReputationRep:
    To be fair if you are smart and say a girl and like on university challenge you are branded a snob by stupid people.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah just be more modest I would say. Try not to rub your success in people's faces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronic_fatigue)
    you can start by changing your sig it looks very arrogant
    Ok, you mean delete my applications/offers?

ReputationRep:
    Having self esteem is healthy. Telling everyone why isn't. Just be careful about talking about it too much to people who aren't interested.

ReputationRep:
    If people already know that you're clever, it is very easy to come across as arrogant even when you are genuinely not trying to be, as they kind of expect that of you, especially if you have been arrogant in the past. Just don't make a point of showing how clever you are, don't say things or use words that you know others are unlikely to know, never tell anybody about your academics unless strictly relevant or if asked and don't ask other people about theirs, as they will inevitably ask you back and if yours are very good they may think that you were only asking them in order to show off.

Essentially, just know when to keep your mouth shut. If you do say anything, think first and ask yourself if it will seem patronising. I had the same problem when in middle school so I know how it feels!

I no longer know when a thread is serious. I mean, this can't be a serious thread with your sig like that....????

ReputationRep:
    Even this post is a bit arrogant tbh but my advice to you is "travel broadens the mind".

ReputationRep:
    you've made it look like you are going to oxford and you haven't even completed your A Levels (i assume)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmiPark)
    I no longer know when a thread is serious. I mean, this can't be a serious thread with your sig like that....????
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNoZo)
    Not nessesarily, modesty usually avoids this.

I guess it takes a long time to break old habits. I would say thats it a matter of making a consious effort to be more considerate of others opinions. I think its admirable that you have recognised and want to chnage a trait in yourself that you dont like.

I second this (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronic_fatigue)
    you've made it look like you are going to oxford and you haven't even completed your A Levels (i assume)
    I completed my A levels last year, I am currently on a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    I completed my A levels last year, I am currently on a gap year.
    Why do you have conditional offers if you've already completed your A Levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becomingbindy)
    Why do you have conditional offers if you've already completed your A Levels?
    I don't, my offers are unconditional.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should be proud of your offers, i don't think thats arrogance, just try and me more modest maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Tis a thin line between confidence and arrogance. I constantly have to watch it as I often go past it. Tis not easy at all.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's possible, I managed it. Although, I am so unspeakably awesome that I can do anything and have never failed in my life, so it's no surprise I succeded.

:awesome:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.