ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    I don't, my offers are unconditional.
    Oxford - Merton Offer AAA
    UCL - Offer AAA
    Warwick - Offer AAA
    Bristol - Offer AAB
    Sussex - Offer ABB

Okay, just quite confusing as these grades make them seem conditional. If they're unconditional maybe it would be a bit less arrogant to take the grades off, not sure?

ReputationRep:
    Think before you speak, that's all it takes. If you know that something you're saying will come across as arrogant and perhaps offend someone, then don't say it.

What do you mean?
    Their signature was boasting about them getting into Oxford(I think) and they was asking how can they stop being so arrogrant--surely they must know? With so many joke/troll threads on here, I don't know when a thread is serious....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becomingbindy)
    Oxford - Merton Offer AAA
    UCL - Offer AAA
    Warwick - Offer AAA
    Bristol - Offer AAB
    Sussex - Offer ABB

Okay, just quite confusing as these grades make them seem conditional. If they're unconditional maybe it would be a bit less arrogant to take the grades off, not sure?
    Hmm..I decided to just delete the whole lot, not worth it really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmiPark)
    Their signature was boasting about them getting into Oxford(I think) and they was asking how can they stop being so arrogrant--surely they must know? With so many joke/troll threads on here, I don't know when a thread is serious....
    That is not what I intended, I have deleted my sig now.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How about you go look at some youtube videos of child prodigies? Maybe you'll feel smaller when you see a two year old playing Moonlight Sonata mvt 3?

ReputationRep:
    As those of you have read my first post will probably know, I come across as quite arrogant. For a long time I have consdered this to be an inexorable symptom of being academically bright. However, I have come to a point where I do not want to be percieved as arrogant anymore. Is there anyway I can learn to not be arrogant?
    What is that?? It's the first time I hear about such a thing ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FZka)
    What is that?? It's the first time I hear about such a thing ??
    :confused: what is what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsHamster)
    If people already know that you're clever, it is very easy to come across as arrogant even when you are genuinely not trying to be, as they kind of expect that of you, especially if you have been arrogant in the past. Just don't make a point of showing how clever you are, don't say things or use words that you know others are unlikely to know, never tell anybody about your academics unless strictly relevant or if asked and don't ask other people about theirs, as they will inevitably ask you back and if yours are very good they may think that you were only asking them in order to show off.

Essentially, just know when to keep your mouth shut. If you do say anything, think first and ask yourself if it will seem patronising. I had the same problem when in middle school so I know how it feels!
    This is true.

Doing well academically/being bright and being arrogant are not linked I think. I've always done well but I am not aware of people thinking I'm arrogant. Just try not to rub it in. Being arrogant has a lot to do with people perceiving you as talking down to them, so just try to realise that just because you have done better academically than most people doesn't make them inferior.

ReputationRep:
    :confused: what is what?
    The bit I marked in bold red?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FZka)
    The bit I marked in bold red?
    It means intelligent people tend to be a bit arrogant as a result of this.

ReputationRep:
    pffft, I learned how to not be arrogant when I was like ten.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.