Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I did History at SG and got a 1, but I decided to do Modern Studies for Higher instead. I am thinking about my subject choices for 6th year. Could I do AH history without doing the higher, or should I just do it as an extra higher? I'm worried if Modern Studies will not be as credible as history for university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frostedcupcakes)
    Hi
    I did History at SG and got a 1, but I decided to do Modern Studies for Higher instead. I am thinking about my subject choices for 6th year. Could I do AH history without doing the higher, or should I just do it as an extra higher? I'm worried if Modern Studies will not be as credible as history for university.
    Yeah, I think it's possible but it depends whether your school will let you do so or not. It certainly isn't recommended though and would mean you'd have a lot of reading up to do. Talk to a teacher about it.

ReputationRep:
    Modern studies is considered the same as history.

Don't skip the higher in history, it's a very hard subject... You will probably be aadvised against it. Perhaps do the H and AH at the same time

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can two of my friends are crashing AHs. One is doing History with only SG and she's coping fine and another is doing Modern Studies with no previous Mods experience :P It's possible :P

ReputationRep:
    History AH isn't too hard. It is just the same as higher but you have to add historians opinions into the essays where as at higher you don't. The higher course is more varied and interesting- you get to do 3 different topics. The AH course is just studying one topic in depth for the year- there is a lot of research involved too which can be a good and a bad thing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.