Turn on thread page Beta

Mum becoming a TA! Urgggh watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Not sure where to put this, but its mainly to do with school

So today my mum had an interview at my school, for a teaching assistant post. They offered her the place.. im happy for her but it's going to be horrible seeing her around school and people making comments all the time.

Does anyone else have parents working at their school?
    Do you mind it?
    Or what would you do/react if your parent started working at your school?

Sadie x

ReputationRep:
    i can't imagine anything worse

ReputationRep:
    I don't, but the boy I sit next to in History has both his mum and sister working as History teachers at my school and from what he's said you get used to it. If mine started working at mine I'd just try and avoid them :p:

ReputationRep:
    its social suicide. end of.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of teachers at our school have kids here, and mostly they just keep away from each other while at school. Most people don't know which teachers and kids are related unless they are close friends with the kid. Even if the teacher's horrible, it doesn't tend to rub off on the children so you should be alright. It'll be much better than you think, and it can be useful (my friend's mum is a teacher which means free lollipops).

ReputationRep:
    It will be even worse if your mother is fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    Oh please dont say that! Sadly some of my friends think she is... *cringe*

ReputationRep:
    Haha, this happened to a friend of mine. He gets unbelievable amounts of stick for it (I think there's even a facebook group somewhere), although I imagine among girls there should be less of that sort of banter? Unlike for him, I can't imagine people's standard comeback to you will become "Yeah, but, Ben, I shagged your Mum at lunch".

ReputationRep:
    My mum was a teacher at my school. She left when I was in year 8 for a HoD job at another school. It was not too bad except she is friends with most of them so we often have some of the maths department down at my house :eek:

But then again she was friends with 2 of them before she started there so I already knew them.

But no, should not worry not to much change in how you are treated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    fatten her up like chicken!:cool:

ReputationRep:
    My best friend's parents were both french teachers in school, then we went to college and her dad started teaching french there, just as she thought she'd escaped
    I know looooaaads of teachers kids and it's never an issue.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i agree that its not an issue.

a girl that i know, her mum works at school and they are fine with it.

they don't really talk though...

but no-one makes any comments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadiechantel)
    Not sure where to put this, but its mainly to do with school

So today my mum had an interview at my school, for a teaching assistant post. They offered her the place.. im happy for her but it's going to be horrible seeing her around school and people making comments all the time.

Does anyone else have parents working at their school?
    Do you mind it?
    Or what would you do/react if your parent started working at your school?

Sadie x

My mum has been working at the school I go to for over 20 years! She's currently Assistant Head & an English teacher. I dont mind it as I don't have to have her as a teacher, she gives me all the inside gossip about whats going on in the school, she has an office which I can use any time & it means I get lifts home from school. It helped enourmously with my UCAS as she made sure that I got a good teacher doing my reference & she ensured I was predicted AAB so that I had a good chance of getting into my top Uni choice (Leeds). I only joined the school in October, so I already knew a lot of the teachers before I joined, though thankfully none of the ones I have. Also it means I have to stay motivated as I know if I miss a lesson or dont do the work then my Mum will find out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidrock22)
    its social suicide. end of.
    Not really. I've had no problems making friends despite everyone knowing who my Mum is.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.